Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

Due to the backlights not working on my (lets face it, outdated cassette) stereo I am thinking of fitting a DVD head unit to my 1996 LS400. I know that I'll need a facia plate, but what cables will I need and where do I get them? I heard someone going on about weather you need an amplified cable or not, and I just dont know.

Has anyone here been through this process before, or am I comitting sacrilege by removing the Premium sound system from my LS400?

Here's the head unit I'm thinking of buying...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190398467445&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I know its not a brand name anyone would have heard of before, but it looks ok and these things tend to work well.

And here's the facia plate...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150432987933&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

eBay will ruin me one day!!

Thanks all,

Brian :)

P.S. I have found a solution to my "lead foot" problem!! The current weather conditions are providing me with a healthy fear of hurting my beautiful LS400 on the icy roads! :driving:

I changed my Ls's stereo as the original was not working so I did the same as you are doing in going through eBay, the facia was easy enough to fit and I had previously attained an ISO lead to convert from Lexus wiring to standard aftermarket wiring, my present stereo sounds fine although I have not heard the standard Ls stereo :lol:

I changed my Ls's stereo as the original was not working so I did the same as you are doing in going through ebay, the facia was easy enough to fit and I had previously attained an ISO lead to convert from Lexus wiring to standard aftermarket wiring, my present stereo sounds fine although I have not heard the standard Ls stereo :lol:

Hi, the standard LS 400 stereo in my earlier '92 car was just great ........... you could probably get a replacement original complete unit from Benfur on here for not much ££££.

Malc

I changed my Ls's stereo as the original was not working so I did the same as you are doing in going through ebay, the facia was easy enough to fit and I had previously attained an ISO lead to convert from Lexus wiring to standard aftermarket wiring, my present stereo sounds fine although I have not heard the standard Ls stereo :lol:

Hi, the standard LS 400 stereo in my earlier '92 car was just great ........... you could probably get a replacement original complete unit from Benfur on here for not much ££££.

Malc

Yes very true Malc, and I may do that in the new year after I dig my LS out of the snow mound and do my rear sus bushes :lol:

Don't! Just don't!

Xtrons stuff is a 'budget' Chinese brand.

I have a double din unit in my daily Daihatsu. If you don't mind looks it is packed full of features, but it WILL look totally out of place in a Lexus. The screen graphics are very poor quality graphics. Bascially, it looks like the icons and background were designed on a Commodore 64.

Thats done it for me! I am a bit of a PC nerd, and I like stuff to look and work cleanly. I'll bin that Xtron unit, but keep looking for that sort of system. I am on a tight budget, any ideas?

Brian :)

Hmm, not really, any double-din DVD player worth its salt will be £300+.

There's also the issue of there being no 'off-the-shelf' ISO loom for replacing the stock head unit in an LS400.

I gave up in the end, I'll be 'simply' splicing into the audio feed from the CD changer so I can alternate the input from my Harmon/Karden iPod Controller.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links