Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight Washers Cold Weather

All

The headlight washers on my 06 400h seem to have a mind of their own in cold weather.

Without pressing the washer button they seem to partially raise themselves from the bumper during cold weather and then retract once the temperature rises. Is this a feature or a fault? Does it have something to do with having the headlights set to auto?

As an example I arrived home last night, washers retracted. While I was waiting for the car to defrost this morning I checked the washers and they were partially up. They have been like this all day (it's not got above freezing) during the 34 mile trip to work and back again this evening.

On other ocassions I have arrived at work with them raised only to find that as the temperature rises they have retracted back into the bumper by the time I leave the office.

The problem does not happen unless it's below freezing

Any suggestions? or should I be taking it to my local dealer? I've only had the car 4 weeks and it has a 12 months used Lexus Warranty

I've seen this happen on mine too. Only when it's REALLY cold though (below minus 5). In my experience they seem to retract on their own once the temp increases and continue to work OK.

Probably something to do with contraction/expansion of water when it freezes and thaws. eg burst water pipes

you got it ! my GS does exactly the same when she freezes.

Thanks for the advice all

Well it was 2degrees when I left the office today and they are back snug to the bumper so I guest the expansion/contraction theory works. Also the washers work fine when the temp is a tad warmer as it was here on Saturday, so I'll hold off heading to the dealer for now.

Thanks for the advice all

Well it was 2degrees when I left the office today and they are back snug to the bumper so I guest the expansion/contraction theory works. Also the washers work fine when the temp is a tad warmer as it was here on Saturday, so I'll hold off heading to the dealer for now.

My '55 400h does exactly the same thing.

Glad its nothing to worry about.

My 400h does exactly the same. Was wondering myself!!

Also wondering what was going on this morning, whilst driving a red warning triangle light lit up on the warning display area and warning buzzer, I pulled over thinking something horrendous had happened, started looking around and noticed that a message was displayed to say I was low on washer fluid!!! Bit OTT I thought!!!

My 400h does exactly the same. Was wondering myself!!

Also wondering what was going on this morning, whilst driving a red warning triangle light lit up on the warning display area and warning buzzer, I pulled over thinking something horrendous had happened, started looking around and noticed that a message was displayed to say I was low on washer fluid!!! Bit OTT I thought!!!

You wouldnt say that if you ran out and got a £30 fine, lol.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links