Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

****** sake now im a murderer eh? Ive bought tyres, not been fitted yet. So please stop making a big fuss about it, if you care so much buy me another 2!

As the other guy said, you undoubtedly invalidating your insurance by fitting just 2 winter tyres - I'd be surprised if anybody will even fit them for you.

Take a look at this:

Note the example is FWD, so the winter tyres are on both drive AND steering wheels. In your case, they'd just be on the drive wheels...so you'd have even less ability to steer.

Leave your anger at the door, calm down, and think carefully about what you are doing. We're trying to tell you it's a mistake.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Priced up a set for the bus and thought the 1200 notes would be better spent elsewhere!!

£1200!!!! Give Lexus Sheffield a ring. They had a set of Vredestein winter tyres in last week, £170 a pop!

Right, off to Surrey!!!!!!!! (with 4 winter tyres)

Priced up a set for the bus and thought the 1200 notes would be better spent elsewhere!!

£1200!!!! Give Lexus Sheffield a ring. They had a set of Vredestein winter tyres in last week, £170 a pop!

Indeed. Paid under £600 for my set...fitted.

I was going away to say alot but i cant be bothered. Im confident ill be fine with the setup ill have. It WILL be an improvement on what ive got! Not going to say anything else now until ive got through this weather crash free or not.

I'm sure you'll be fine, it's not like you have a lot of snow to worry about in Scotland :whistling:

Indeed. Paid under £600 for my set...fitted.

That's a bargain!!! Defo worth the investment at that price..... size 245/40's 18????

Yupp, Vredestein Wintrac xtreme 245/40 R18 97W XL with rim protection ridge, M+S marking

Full speed and load rating needed for the car, standard size, no insurance notification required as they comply with vehicle manufacturer specification. It obviously helps that I started shopping around in August and made my purchase at the beginning of September whilst the sun was still shining.

As I see it, £150/corner is about the price you pay for a standard (summer) tyre. Whilst the winter tyres are on, for 6mths of the year, the summer tyres are in storage and not being worn. End result is that my standard tyres last twice as long and so my tyre cost, per year, is exactly the same - plus I get a considerably safer drive in the winter. You're going to spend £600 every 20k miles anyway, it may as well be on the correct rubber for the job....4 of them ;)

I was going away to say alot but i cant be bothered. Im confident ill be fine with the setup ill have. It WILL be an improvement on what ive got! Not going to say anything else now until ive got through this weather crash free or not.

Before you go ahead and fit those winters...take a look at this one:

May I suggest you test your setup either very early in the morning or late at night when there will be minimal 3rd party vehicles around?

Yupp, Vredestein Wintrac xtreme 245/40 R18 97W XL with rim protection ridge, M+S marking

Full speed and load rating needed for the car, standard size, no insurance notification required as they comply with vehicle manufacturer specification. It obviously helps that I started shopping around in August and made my purchase at the beginning of September whilst the sun was still shining.

As I see it, £150/corner is about the price you pay for a standard (summer) tyre. Whilst the winter tyres are on, for 6mths of the year, the summer tyres are in storage and not being worn. End result is that my standard tyres last twice as long and so my tyre cost, per year, is exactly the same - plus I get a considerably safer drive in the winter. You're going to spend £600 every 20k miles anyway, it may as well be on the correct rubber for the job....4 of them ;)

Superb tyres the Verds, just need to work out where to store the tyres out of season!!!

If I move on from the Scoob next year then the Bus will be getting some winter boots, no point at all right now and it's always funny watching the misses try and use the manual box on the Scoob lol!!!

As much as I hate to recommend them, Kwik Fit were doing winter tyre fitting for something like £40 this year, including storage for your summer tyres. Not sure if you're obliged to purchase your winter tyres through them, but perhaps worth looking into.

I store mine in my garage.

Cheers,

Ben

I found a nice compacted snow/ice road in Surrey and my wife took a video of the GS driving on it. It's amazing. Last year I would have slipped and farted and not moved, these winter tyres are like glue on ice! I can't post the vid until I get home in a few days and I'll try to make another as the one my wife took is a bit wobbly due to her slipping all over........

I found a nice compacted snow/ice road in Surrey and my wife took a video of the GS driving on it. It's amazing. Last year I would have slipped and farted and not moved, these winter tyres are like glue on ice! I can't post the vid until I get home in a few days and I'll try to make another as the one my wife took is a bit wobbly due to her slipping all over........

Quality Knitware - glad it all worked out well for you

Awesome.

You highlighted the biggest problem - the car drives so steady that when you get out you fall on your arse, not realising it was so icy outside.

Before you go ahead and fit those winters...take a look at this one:

May I suggest you test your setup either very early in the morning or late at night when there will be minimal 3rd party vehicles around?

What we need to see is a comparison of two rear wheel drive cars, one with summer tyres all round and one with winter tyres on the rear only.

Obviously 4 winter tyres is going to be better than 2 winter tyres for stopping, but is two winter tyres on the rear worse than 4 summer tyres? I doubt it.

So there is no grip on the front with summer tyres on the front, just drive slower, as slow as you would with 4 summer tyres.

At least you will stop faster than with 4 summer tyres. I can see that fitting winter tyres on the front only could be a big problem. The extra grip on the front will make the car want to swap ends when brakeing.

However, can someone explain why having more grip on the rear only, would be a problem?

There's a reason they fit bigger brake discs on the front, not the rear...it's where all the weight shifts when you apply the brake. On some cars, they don't even fit a disc brake on the rear...it does so little.

Putting winter tyres on the rear will give you more stopping power, allowing you to shift the weight to the front easier and locking up the fronts easier.

So, not only will you have a car with terrible steering, you'll also have a car that's even more prone to lock up the fronts and spin off the road at the slightest attempt to steer.

Sure, on a drag strip - in a complete straight line front start to end - having winters on only the rear will improve both your acceleration and braking. But the moment to add in any element of steering, the added grip of the rears is just going to make the vehicle prone to understeer.

well ive now got 2 snow tyres fitted to the rear and have done around 100 miles so far. straight away i went to a car park where there was sheet ice and a slight uphill climb, car took off up the hill no problems at all without TRC light flashing. so far the back end of the car is 100 times better than its ever been. i used to go on the wet white lines or a drain to have the back end wobbling, now i dont need to worry about this its just so secure. i spoke to the place who fitted the tyres and they said to me there should be no issues with only rear fitted snow tyres so long as ive not been experiencing front end slip which i havent and that they would only recommend fitting 4 snow tyres to a 4WD car. ill update as i go and once the weather gets worse but with these better tyres i cannot see me having an accident unless its not my fault.

stani

well ive now got 2 snow tyres fitted to the rear and have done around 100 miles so far.

You are an absolute lunatic, defying conventional wisdom and the collective experience of fellow Users on this forum.

Just because something is not illegal, does not mean that it is in some way acceptable/OK/safe. Why do we have to legislate for every imbecile who uses the same argument as you (IE: if its not illegal I can do it)? Like you would not mix runflat and non-runflat tyres, you should not mix snow/non-snow tyres.

If you are in any doubt, speak with your Insurance Company.

Please stop making idiot comments, ive been told on this thread ill not be able to control my car, Ill lose it at the slightest turn, ill end up killing someone. Maybe before the tyres were fitted yes as i couldnt control the car but not now. I dont know what you think i drive like but its certainly not fast enough to do things that have been said. Those videos are a joke too, in those conditions you would never drive that fast. Now i know you are all a bit too sensible on here but thats not me and will never be. If someone says to me somethings not possible/going to work. Ill prove them wrong. And unless its illegal like i said before im not putting another 2 on :D

i spoke to the place who fitted the tyres and they said to me there should be no issues with only rear fitted snow tyres so long as ive not been experiencing front end slip which i havent and that they would only recommend fitting 4 snow tyres to a 4WD car. stani

Unbelievable ........they must have thought it was April 1st when they told you that. I have asked several local tyre dealers, some part of chains, and not a single one of them would agree with what you were told.

Were the tyres the only 2 of that size in stock ?

They had none in stock i had to order them. This place is the only place i use for tyres, i got 205/45/17 nankang sv-2. There really is no safety issue with the tyre setup i have.

Who here has used this setup and had an accident????

Probably no-one since I very much doubt if anyone else has the tyre setup that you have.

ave thought it was April 1st when they told you that. I have asked several local tyre dealers, some part of chains, and not a single one of them would agree with what you were told.

Were the tyres the only 2 of that size in stock ?

If you read earlier in the thread, you'll realise that stani refused to pay for 4 tyres so the vendor had a choice of selling 2 tyres (that he'd already ordered into stock) on none - not that this might have influenced their opinion of what was safe and what wasn't.

As far as I can tell, Stani hasn't taken any expert advise, hasn't notified his insurer and doesn't drive a GS. Are we on Candid Camera? Only somebody in a wind up could be this stupid, surely?

Knowingly driving a car with a bad set-up can lead to manslaughter charges following an accident.