Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Caliper Seized

mankeaneutd

Hi,

I have IS250 reg from June 2007 around 50k on clock . Just did a medium service 2 month ago. yesterday, i sent it to instore rear sensor and they told me the offrear caliper seized , to change it costs 380 pounds.

also offrear break pad 70% worn bcos of caliper seized . to change it costs 180 pounds.

and shock absorber minor leak and change it costs 450 pounds.

I am a bit frustrated about the poor quality of Lexus , ;,,( and costs me so much that a car just passed warranty. It had no problem at all when in warranty. anyone else has this problem? Also, someone tells me that caliper seized is usually due to less careful check when I did the service 2 months ago. Can I argue this with them ?

Thanks a lot

• 3 weeks later...

I have similar problems with my Lexus IS 250 SE.

I have a 57 plate which I purchased just over 2 months ago from Wolverhampton Lexus. I had a couple off minor issues with it but nothing that I thought was particulary probelmatic; door trim rising up and some tyre catch when on full lock. However, this week I got an amber engine and traction control light appear in my dash and a message to "check VSC". Lexus, Oxford told me not to drive the vehicle and get it rceovered to them ASAP, which I did using the Lexus roadside assistance. Incidently, this was a very good service by the way.

However, today I have received the news that my rear brake calipers seized, I have warped front brake discs, a dangerous bulge in the near side front tyre and odd wear across all four tyres (2, 5, 2, which all need replacing. My issues are currently beign assesed for repair under my extended warranty so I'm not sure yet what I will have to pay for. However, it seesm likely that I am going to get stung for four new tyres at £200 a pop! Unless I can prove that this has been caused due to negligent vehicle preparation by Wolverhampton.

All I intended to get sorted this week was the passenger side door trim and an update to my Sat Nav.I now appear to have a virtually unusable vehicle which I have owned for little over 2 months and covered only 2900 miles. It looks like to get it back on the road I am going to need to spend a minimum of £1000 (4 new tyres and a Sat Nav).

Lexus "peace of mind", my a**e, their getting a piece of my mind tomorrow!!

Oh by the way, I forgot to mention my IS 250 with all the issues above has [apparently] only covered 15292 miles. Also, I should say I'm annoyed with Wolverhampton Lexus not Oxford, the latter have been very helpful thus far.

SJB27

The issue of the rear calipers seizing and the reason for it is well known by Lexus. My IS 250SE-L had the rears changed out under warranty some time ago and although the replacements were working fine, Lexus Cheltenham replaced them with the rectified design last year under a recall . http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=65313&st=0&p=709417&hl=+rear%20+brake%20+calipers&fromsearch=1entry709417

• 2 weeks later...

Both my front calipers were seized at my last service ( not lexus ) ! both freed by the mechanic and perfect ever since, and who told you that tyres were £200 each , do an internet search and you can even get the best continentals for just over the ton and budget tyres from around £50.Best of luck with your complaints.

Both my front calipers were seized at my last service ( not lexus ) ! both freed by the mechanic and perfect ever since, and who told you that tyres were £200 each , do an internet search and you can even get the best continentals for just over the ton and budget tyres from around £50.Best of luck with your complaints.

Poking my nose in, there are overhaul kits available from lexus for LS 400 so

there is likely to be the same for other models. Prices not too silly.

A good independant can O/H them, ask around, tyres as previously stated

are available at all prices and quality.

• 2 months later...

A bit late on this thread, i have a 55 plate is250se, the o/s/r caliper was replaced under a recall a couple of years ago, then after a safety check when it went in for the master cylinder recall 3 weeks ago they said that the n/s/r caliper was seized. i moaned like hell at them because the car was only serviced 2000 miles ago, they contacted Lexus, who agreed to replace it f/o/c. it has been done today. so don't give up on complaining.