Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Smoking Diesel

jbhepburn

My IS220d smokes really heavily for approx 10 seconds a few times a day,its is very embarrasing and seems to be after i have been idling in traffic then accelerate away,i have had it to lexus newcastle,who surprise,surprise say they have never ever had this fault,it is booked in to stay with them for 2 days in january,does anyone else have this problem please help,only had the car 1 week and not what i expected of a lexus.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is quite normal during cold days - the system cleans out the DNPR. If you make couple of miles on motorway, it will clean better and then it won't clean so often in the city.

If most of the kms will be done in city, it will be cleaning quite often. But during warm days it is not visible :)

it is quite normal during cold days - the system cleans out the DNPR. If you make couple of miles on motorway, it will clean better and then it won't clean so often in the city.

If most of the kms will be done in city, it will be cleaning quite often. But during warm days it is not visible :)

funny you should say that as yesterday was mainly motorway miles and it never happened i think it will be visible in daytime i do 50/50 motorway/urban,i have heard the head may need decoked or it is better to use premium diesel instead of supermarket fuel.

well I think that supermarket fuel makes 50% of all problems with DCAT engines. It simply needs better quality of the fuel. I am using regular shell diesel.

start to checking your coolant fluid level - if it is not decreasing. If not, everything is OK.

Try to run on 5th gear on motorway (on non-sport model). You have the car only one week, you don't know who and how was driving it. The DNPR won't start to clean unless the engine is warmed up, so if somebody was doing short drives it may be dirty a lot...

well I think that supermarket fuel makes 50% of all problems with DCAT engines. It simply needs better quality of the fuel. I am using regular shell diesel.

start to checking your coolant fluid level - if it is not decreasing. If not, everything is OK.

Try to run on 5th gear on motorway (on non-sport model). You have the car only one week, you don't know who and how was driving it. The DNPR won't start to clean unless the engine is warmed up, so if somebody was doing short drives it may be dirty a lot...

thanks for your help it is really appreciated,i am going to fill up with shell next and do more motorway miles,i have a 400 mile round trip thursday so it should give it a good blast,levels were all checked by lexus today and all fine,i always do mainly use 5th gear i feel 6th need you to be 80mph or more

thanks for your help it is really appreciated,i am going to fill up with shell next and do more motorway miles,i have a 400 mile round trip thursday so it should give it a good blast,levels were all checked by lexus today and all fine,i always do mainly use 5th gear i feel 6th need you to be 80mph or more

forgot to add only has 20,000 mles on it

don't panic, it is on every diesel and everydiesel has problem with it.

we should kick some green asses in bruselles..

i don't believe yours will put out as much smoke as mine,i have now read that the heads need decoked

that is 99% not true, but do whatever you want...

don't panic, it is on every diesel and everydiesel has problem with it.

we should kick some green asses in bruselles..

i don't believe yours will put out as much smoke as mine,i have now read that the heads need decoked

that is 99% not true, but do whatever you want...

The point of DCAT is to stop smoke! Condensation/steam isn't smoke. IS220D does have issues though and the dealers are dissapointing in relation to their reputation

dcat doesn't prevent smoke, but is to collect particles. And these have to be burned occasionally= duty of 5th injector.

occasional smoke when low temperature is quite common when 5th injector is on - when burning particles in DCAT. I read this on toyota forum regarding 2.2 DCAT 180 engines. This applies also on our engines.

My engine smoked like this 2 weeks ago for app. one minute, it was at least 5° below 0. And I certainly know, that I have clean egr, good consumption, and not disappearing cooling liquid.

Therefore I am 99% sure that his car doesn't have a problem.

the toyota 2.2 engine is the same as your lex 220d engine.........i work on these engines day in day out!!! smoke is caused by blocked egr valves!!as i said very common i clean these all the time....

one thing i will say or ask is whats your oil consumption like?they suffer from exessive oil drinking and overheating..check your coolant bottle if its got a black tinge to it you need a engine rebuild which is covered under a extended warranty 6 years or 120k

My car is currently at Lexus with EXACTLY the same problem and exactly the same symptoms. I spoke to them today and they reckon that some petrol was in the tank. Now I know for a fact that it was not me and no-one else drives the car. I've had it for 2 months and they think it's possible that there may have been some petrol in the tank previously which is now manifesting itself with the smoke due to the fact that I let the fuel run low. I'd read on here previously that this problem was likely because of the EGR valves and expected them to tell me that.

Now I'm not so sure that Lexus aren't just spinning me a line to get me to part with £300 of my hard earned cash for doing a job that doesn't need doing! :(

in UK you have now quite low temperatures, right?

One of the possibilities how to lower the temperature point when diesel starts to "freeze" is to add some petrol in diesel. However this is strictly prohibited because direct injected diesels may be destroyed.

Do you think it could happen that service stations mixed diesel with petrol on purpose?

Temperatures had dropped over the last few weeks but I noticed the problem for the first time in mid to late November when it was not as cold as it is has been over the last 3 weeks (sub zero).

I'm not sure that service stations are allowed to mix diesel with petrol (although I can't say that with any authority).

hi mine is exactly the same and i know the egr valve is clean!! a thing iv just tried a can of bg244 in the tank ran it on shell v power also ran it on the motorway in 3rd keeping revs up at 4 thou for 50 miles seems to have helped flat spots low down and engine seems smoother quieter and more responsive guy at lexus newcastle told me never use super market diesel and do the high revs run once a month i use sheel diesel and every 4th tank use the v power

how do you know the egr is clean??have you had it off to check??just coz you put some fancy cleaner that does jack in the tank and run it on vpower diesel doesnt mean its clean......i have worked on these engines for a very long time!!cleaned more egr valves,inlet manifolds and rebuilt more than i care to remember it doesnt matter what you do these valves clog up no matter what!!!

how do you know the egr is clean??have you had it off to check??just coz you put some fancy cleaner that does jack in the tank and run it on vpower diesel doesnt mean its clean......i have worked on these engines for a very long time!!cleaned more egr valves,inlet manifolds and rebuilt more than i care to remember it doesnt matter what you do these valves clog up no matter what!!!

valve was cleaned 2000 miles ago did it myself check out the pics on this very site. you say valves does the no 2 need cleaning also? and inlet manifold?...to be honest im sick of the car and the diesel engine!! lol all i seem to have done since i bought it is try and get it running how i think it should...id be happy if it ran as well as my mates focus 1.6 diesel

mine is booked in for 2 days with lexus,will keep you all posted

Lexus newcastle have sorted my car under warranty,brand new particulate filter i knew it wasn't normal for so much smoke,have to say outstanding service from lexus-newcastle,courtesy car,sorted problem and all it needd was one signature,10/10 newcastle.

to be honest at toyota we clean the inlet manifold and throttle body aswell as it is normally caked in oily carbon also im sure the lexus 2.2's run a secondary egr valve...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links