Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Smoking Diesel

jbhepburn

Mine went back into Lexus this week for 70K service and MOT - no issues with either but I asked them about the smoking - as previously said on this forum my EGR valve failed last July so was replaced.

Anyway they have said they will have the car back in for a week to take the engine apart, as suspect pistons (probably rings etc) so by the sounds of it they will be rebuilding the top part of the engine.

I think a few 220d's on here have had the same work done under warranty (this car is covered for this up to 100K iirc pre-2007 cars).

It still may very well be the EGR again (cleaning iteself or about to go) but it is getting worse. Well as I have a courtesy car I thought I would let rebuild as apparently the new parts they fit arent succeptable to the same issues.

Lexus had the car for two days and called me to say that everything seemed ok. No oil spots in the water and they struggled to get it to smoke. They couldnt put the rebuild through on Lexus unless they could find a problem so I have it back. They again suggested it might be the EGR valve cleaning and TBH I am inclined to agree.

With the symptoms of the engine rebuild, expect to lose a lot of oil. Didnt have to top mine up between the 60K and 70K service so I guess will see how it goes.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most head gasket problems are when they fail to seal the block and head due to them being warped by overheating. Because it's an all alloy engine (most use an iron block), it is not recommended to skim them so Lexus will replace them. The symptoms will not be noticable when driving unless you have the heater on (and the subsequent annoying 1200rpm idle) - a lack of warm air. This is because exhaust gasses are getting into the cooling systems (as your HG is not sealing) causing it to over-pressurise and then the relief valve of the expansion tank will expell coolant until an acceptable pressure is met. This will mess up your engine bay with white deposits. Of course this will eventually lead to low coolant levels and an overheating engine which will cause the block and head to warp some more. I have been told two theories of why this happens : 1) The Lexus dealer says that the wrong type of coolant was used 2) The local useless Toyota garage where I bought it told me that carbon deposits in bore makes the piston force it too far and warp the head. Neither may be the real cause as remember these engines are built in Poland in a relatively new factory and so may have taken sometime to get all their processes correct.

mine does that but not for so long part filter eh wonder how much they are? me thinks maybe time to sell the lex!! lol. does your car feel any diff? more powerfull?

What is the warranty period on the particle filter? I have a 56 plate (registered 07) with 43K on the clock and it smokes exactly like the video posted on this thread. I also have an AA extended warranty provided through an independent dealer, who I go the car off, but doubt that would cover it.

Forgot to give my update.

Took it to Lexus a few weeks back and after having it all day they called me very late in the afternoon to say they could not recreate the problem. I went to pick it up and they asked me to drive it around myself to see if I could get it to smoke. No luck. I figured that, because I'd asked for my money back for their misdiagnosis of the problem (petrol in the tank) that they'd corrected the problem and didn't want to admit it. But anyway, they said that if the problem occurred again, I should book it in, they'd give me a courtesy car while one of their guys kept it for a few days to see if it was apparent when they were driving it around. I agreed. For a couple of days there was no (or very little smoke). Then it appeared again as bad as ever.

Now what I noticed is that it is worse when the weather is cold. At below 5-7 degrees you will see smoke. The lower the temperature, the worse it is. The day I took it back to them was really relatively mild (11 degrees) so no smoke!

Last week I put some BG44 in the tank as I've heard it's good, filled it up and drove to Leeds (from London) and back. No problem.

This morning I was on my way to Birmingham and was doing 50mph in 4th in the roadworks between J10-13 on the M1 when I noticed huge great plumes of smoke behind me. It was cold again this morning but I'd never known the problem to rear it's ugly head on a motorway drive. The engine was also stuttering quite badly at around 2500rpm.

I phoned Lexus as soon as I could and got it booked in for the end of the month so we'll see what happens. They said they'd keep my car for a couple of days but if they can't recreate the problem I might refuse to give them to courtesy car back!!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so finally Romanian MOT recognized that my car has DPF filter finally after many and long discussions. Regarding smoking, i had recently service my IS with engine oil and all possible filters changed. I haven't cleaned the EGR valve yet but definitely car is acting much better and there is no smoke at all. Maybe one of these days i will take to the highway for a kick down and high speed drive, and then keep you updated what the top speed i got.

Adi

• 3 weeks later...

Got my car back this morning. Lexus had had it for a few days and guess what? They couldn't recreate the problem!! :duh: So I told them I'd drive it to work and let them know. On my usual route, in the same place that I usually see the smoke, there it was as bad as ever. I reckon it must be my driving style!! :whistling:

Getting fed up with this now. It'll be a while til I can take it back in but I think I'll call and arrange for someone to follow me so that they can see what it looks like.

Always same problems...smoking, oil consumption, big fuel consumption (5th injector sprit big amount of fuel directly in the exaust gas manifold and produce white smoke yess) etc, etc...

Solution: take off FAP, install free exaust downpipe and Electronic emulator (or ECU will go in recovery), close fuel line to 5th injector.

After this: no smoke, consumption of oil near zero, consumption of fuel: 10.2 l/100 Km before, 8.2 L/100 Km after.

Around here in forum u can find the solution to close EGR using recyrculation of turbo and how to eliminate the vapor oil recyrculation using an oil catch can (thanks Fonserg from Russia).

FAP don't clean atmosphere, it simply transform particulate in cancerogenic nanopowder. In Italy the TV transmission "Report" finally decided to start an action against this "intelligent" "ecologic" dispositive.

P.S: In a Lexus carshop in Italy, the procedure to clean with acid spray a DPNR filter costs (to the poor owner) around 560.00 Euro.

Good luck ;)

• 2 months later...

I have serviced my car car recently and i can say, there is no more smoke at all, black or white. I do drive it fast always change rev between 3000-4000 rpm. I drive it this way cause i am not happy with engine performance at low rpm. I also used some diesel additive from Wurth right after the service. The thing i am not happy with is car is response on accelerator and fuel consumption. At this level i believe Lexus is on the bottom comparing with BMW or Audi. They are much better engine, suspension, and acceleration response. Not to mention the fuel consumption and gearbox is horrible. Even Fiat is doing better...

With all this said, this car will go for sale in few days after polish outside and professional clean inside. Don't want to deal with Lexus again.

• 1 month later...

I could agree with u about THIS Lexus, which has a Toyota RAV4 turbodiesel engine, real Lexus have benzin motor and in general they are reliable (and so it was my previous IS200 benzin in example).

Anyway:

- all the problems u can experience on this Turbodiesel Euro 4 Toyota engine are more or less the same u can have on any other brand, the technology is not so different, and so problems, don't think BMW, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo don't have this problems, take a look in their forums and u will see ;)

No cars break turbine like BMWs turbodiesel for example...and a broken turbine is a big expensive problem.

- with some little works, Is220D become a rocket (mine actually has around 215 Cv at wheel, 48 Kgm torque) and gives great satisfactions (certainly u need to spend some other money...).

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, i agree with you, but with the gear box from IS 220D performances are really low no matter how much horse power you have. Thing is at the wheel i don't think you get more than 140 horse power. So, think about a simple head to head race with Audi A4 2.0 TDI 140 horse power, BMW 320d, Mercedes C220 CDI who will win? Lexus has no chance in this competition. The IS 220D was created in order to compete with this guys, engine is great but there is so much power loss with that gear box. Simply, cannot face fast changes and low rpm torque. And besides, is the most heaviest in its field... which is a minus again ... in one word is not helping the driver in certain situations.

• 4 months later...

2 ormi

I have read all your posts related to is220d egr.

I will block it as ulisse and fosberg described but first I would like to clean it while blocking it.

Please tell what parts of egr sys are must have to been cleaned and with what kind cleaner?

Tnx

Ozren

every morning I have dpf regeneration, nothing on cockpit as a sign, just white smoke when car gets warmed up (water, not on half gauge but on 1/4).

I stop at trafic light and then I feel strange smell and look at the backview mirror and see lots of white smoke.

After few minutes, maybe less I cannot see much, nothing more.

Will do DPF removal + remap24.co.uk emulator + EGR clean + blocking ASAP.

I have chip-box set on 4th map (+16%).

• 1 month later...

Hello! Shigo just wodering, how did you get on with your dpf removal and dpf emulator.

I need to remove dpf on my IS 220 and I spoke with Peter from www.pandpauto.eu and they can remove dpf out of my car, fit emulator and reprogramme the ecu for proper work. Apparently, they've already done a few of them.

I'm just looking for some fedback.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I had serious white smoke coming out of my 2007 IS220d it was embarrasing. You do not expect this from a Lexus. Anyway I went to Lexus Wolverhampton and I must say they were great. They took the car for a test drive and it started to smoke like crazy. They confirmed it was not normal and fixed the problem under warranty. They kept the car for a week and all I know is they put a new cylinder head, new pistons and rings, plus they changed the water pump for free it was leaking. This happening in January and the car has been smoke free since.

I recommend seeing your local lexus dealer first as they may be able to fix the problem under warranty.

2 Alice - got pics and/or detailed procedure?

Tnx

I still didnt get dpf off but will soon.

Ps. That link you shared is from mechanic I talked about after installation procedure info with owner of remap24.co.uk

They work toegether and helped me a lot!

I just need to go to the garage and do everything they wrote and told me.

Alice, hows your L pulling now?! :)

Hello!

I'm looking for some advice on my IS220. I've been to two garages and they told me I have problem with my dpf filter - whatever that is. And they quoted biiiigggg money. So, I'm looking for some advice. Is any cheaper option?

I can see www.pandpauto.eu they offer dpf removal on lexuc. Alice in chains - could you share some info? Is it everysthing ok? Is it worth to go there?

Thank you in advance