Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The misses has declared the lex unsuitable as it's been parked on drive since sat due to snow/ice..I've been late for work each day as buses don't go where I need and taxi cost is prohibitive .Shes suggesting we need a 4x4 RX300, JAG Xtype or RANGE ROVER.. I Dont want to admit but I'm even looking on auto trader at possibles as I really need daily transport.

I live in a row of five houses and every other car has moved ,lol. All small runarounds. So frustrating because if I could get off the estate the roads are ok.

Unsure what to do. If it was just practicalities the lex would go,,, but I love it and nothing is gona drive the same.

Decision after xmas.

Steve

P.s. Now I need everyone to say KEEP IT !!!

keep it!!!!

I live on a slight hill and can't drive up the street from the bottom now until we get thawed out,

had to reverse to the side of the road to let 2 saxo's past yesterday and then turn round to go to the top end of the estate to get to mine as the route was longer overall it wasn't as steep, but that meant approaching my house coming down hill and struggling to get onto the drive without sliding past it, lol, the first day after our big snowfall I walked the 5 miles to work which took an hour 40, after that I braved it in the car,

takes me longer to defrost the car and get off the drive than it does to drive the rest of the way to work, but I won't have it any other way lol

Keep it, I live in Telford and we have had it bad 6/7 or 8inches in places all roads been bad, last year I changed my tyres TOYOS T1 and they are great and upto now had no problem driving every day even in this snow just use the snow button and use the gears rather than auto and tickel the brakes, use the gears instead of brakes.

I have even passed a 4x4 which as got stuck but at the end of the day you cant drive like you do in good conditions, I am not saying you will not get stuck sometime alot depends on the stupid car in front,

Treat your LEXUS as a lady and she will get you where you want to go

Since when did a wife know better than a fella who actually owns, drives and adores his LS400 ???

Like a good mistress, keep the car and nurture and love her and keep her tucked away when it gets cold and unbearable ........... rent / hire / steal something with a FWD or whatever for those very, very few occassions when the LS needs a little more TLC.

Or hide yourself away with your mistress ( YOUR LS ) until the worst is past ! :tomato::hehe:

Malc

Snow chains or snow socks can't be driven on tarmac ( one is illegal as it cuts up the road and the other wears out the socks ). So you would need to take them off when you get to the clear road ( and put them back on when you get back to the snow in the evening ). They are fine for continuous snow /slush/ice but otherwise an emergency aid.

Winter tyres are the real answer if you can still get them.

Keep it and get snow tyres. My mate put Avon Ice winter tyres on his BMW (sorry) 535 and he tells me its like driving a different car.

Now lets dispell a few mythes. 4x4s on ordinary tyres will grip on snow. But the moment you touch the brake you have no advantage over a 2 wheel drive car. I know, i have owned 7 4x4s.

Big 4x4s are next to useless compared to a small 4x4. I know, i have driven Discoveries and Range Rovers in snow. They are leathal when you touch the brake. Our Mitsi Pinin and Freelander are miles better. Far more traction on any surface. A Fiat Panda 4x4 is almost unstoppable.

An X type feels like a Mondeo because it is a Mondeo.

And having had 5 Landrover products i would not go near another one. Even if it was free. Really!

My next car? Lexus RX. To replace the unreliable Freelander. And keeping the LS of course.

Interesting, about the size of 4x4 that works best. It's obviously about weight as much as drive. I really don't want to lose the LS and a 2nd more suitable car is not a affordable option.

Will see after Xmas what my best option is . If a range rover is too big for icy conditions then that's out. Don't really want to compromise on a jag just to get the 4x4 drive that works for 2weeks a year, so I'm wondering how far a way from a LS a RX would be. It's a Lexus so must be close. Has anyone experience of both ?

It's always nice to get a new car but don't want to panic buy just cause i can't drive it for a week. The misses will do as she's told lol

Steve

Also have no experience of snow tyres, do you just use them through the winter and change back for summer or are they really only for snowy roads?

Also heard people say they are hard to source ?

Steve

I live in a cul-de-sac at the bottom of a hill in Manchester, and have to climb the hill to leave home.

In last years snow I was stuck at home for 2 days, so I bought some snow chains for £70. They got me off the estate without a problem, but as soon as you reach a clear road you have to take them off. Legally you can only use them on a snow covered road, and putting them on and off can be a pain.

This year I've bought 4 Nokian WRG2 winter tyres. What a revelation! No problems with traction and braking on slush or snow, and a good degree of control on ice! In the dry and wet they are as good as normal tyres as long as the temperature is below 7 degree C, when the average temperature warms up above 7 deg you are better off on normal tyres.

The second set of tyres may cost you £700 but that is probably cheaper than buying anothey car or 4x4, and it means you can enjoy the LS all year round without worrying about snow or ice.

John N

LS430

I am looking for pair of winter tyres as I have a spare set of wheels. Anyone wAnt to buy some of my other spare wheels. £20 each.

I'm looking for four 17" wheels to fit the LS430 and take 225/55R17 tyres.

Please contact me if they will fit.

John N

John.Nixon47@gmail.com

I found my Citroen Dyane dealt with snow quite well -thin tyres! Was on M4 in crazy snow in the 80s in it, passing Porsches and SAABs abandoned.

But on more practical note..... Snow tyres seem the answer.

I SORN my Lex for 2-3 months. But I don't need to get to work, etc.

Certainly a few weeks of snow don't mean getting a 4 X 4 for all year!

Not logical!

Seasoned greetings to all.

I live in a cul-de-sac at the bottom of a hill in Manchester, and have to climb the hill to leave home.

In last years snow I was stuck at home for 2 days, so I bought some snow chains for £70. They got me off the estate without a problem, but as soon as you reach a clear road you have to take them off. Legally you can only use them on a snow covered road, and putting them on and off can be a pain.

This year I've bought 4 Nokian WRG2 winter tyres. What a revelation! No problems with traction and braking on slush or snow, and a good degree of control on ice! In the dry and wet they are as good as normal tyres as long as the temperature is below 7 degree C, when the average temperature warms up above 7 deg you are better off on normal tyres.

The second set of tyres may cost you £700 but that is probably cheaper than buying anothey car or 4x4, and it means you can enjoy the LS all year round without worrying about snow or ice.

John N

LS430

Keep the LS400 just put snow tires on it - makes all the difference and they are cheaper than the Pirellis - I bought Vredsteins (excellent tyre so far, through snow/ice and slush with no hesitation) and they were about £110 all included.

John N

LS430

Keep the LS400 just put snow tires on it - makes all the difference and they are cheaper than the Pirellis - I bought Vredsteins (excellent tyre so far, through snow/ice and slush with no hesitation) and they were about £110 all included.

Ditto - another vote for winter tyres. Madness to even think about swapping the car.d

I too live at the bottom of a steep cul de sac - nobody can get out bar 4x4 drivers.

I bit the bullet and got some vredsteins just before the snow came this year - they are utterly amazing - braking and traction are awesome - we had 30 inches of snow at one point in total - never got stuck once.

I cannot recomemnd them enough and will never be without them again.

Ditto - another vote for winter tyres. Madness to even think about swapping the car.d

I too live at the bottom of a steep cul de sac - nobody can get out bar 4x4 drivers.

I bit the bullet and got some vredsteins just before the snow came this year - they are utterly amazing - braking and traction are awesome - we had 30 inches of snow at one point in total - never got stuck once.

I cannot recomemnd them enough and will never be without them again.

madness ?! - maybe trying to get a 4x4 thats nice to drive and reliable for the price youd sell an ls400 for at this time of year would indeed be folly , as for driving thru two and a half foot of snow which would be about level with the top of your bonnet in a rear wheel drive lex i just cant see that happening really or being any less of a mad thing to do whatever your tyres - winter tyres are the way forward though if you can get hold of a set , i still wouldnt test them out in snow as high as your bonnet though

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links