Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx450H Tyres

Hi All,

I have just joined the club and was hoping someone could give me some good advice on which winter tyres I could/should swop onto for the winter months?

The current tyres are almost new, I have only had the car (RX450h) from new since Sept, but would prefer the comfort and confidence of winter rubber? The size is 235 55 19.

Advice and help would be appreciated!

Thanks

You will be lucky to find what you want in the UK - especially now with recent hype.

but IMHO top 3 are

Continentals

Dunlops

Vredestein

Several tests around the net - just google winterreifen or winter tyres

Adac.de always do one and autocar or autosport did one this year in English

Couldn't get the first two last year so ended up with the Vreds that are very good. Drove through a blizzard on solid snow for over 300 miles last sunday and never once saw any traction lights in my 350. Now in the alps and the roads are packed snow and I have no problems at all. BUT vreds are supposed to wear worse than the others

Big problem is getting some scratch alloys or steels to stick them on - if you use fancy non oem alloys then you will have to potentially tell the insurer . There were some Euro suppliers on european eBay sites (de/fr) that were doing packages (wheels + tyres) and would ship to the UK. Depends what you want - personally I use scrag alloys as after 3-4 winters on salted roads they are a real mess.

There is a big hoohah going on at the moment re insurance companies being "difficult" but according to AIB & AA you should be fine provided you follow the manufactures recommendations as to tyre/wheel size

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/winter-tyres-in-the-uk.html

I have been running winter tyres for 25 years and have never ever felt the need to talk to my insurers especially as in Switzerland and Germany you will be deemed at fault if you are the one without winter tyres.

Personally I would not bother with winter tyres in the UK; the RX is very good in the snow as long as you take it easy. Also I would add the Pirelli Scorpion Zero to the list, although not original equipment, and I have 18 inch wheel so I do not know if they come in 19 inch.

Can't help you with which tyres fit but I would definitely get some - got some on my LS400 and they have been transformational.

My wifes Merc ML320 is obviously 4x4 but has standard tyres on it and while it gets going on snow/ice etc it is no match in the stopping dept compared to my car. Anybody who says you don't need winter tyres on a 4x4 hasn't tried them.

My next motor is likely to be a Rx450 and I will definitely get winter tyres on it.

If you can get a set to fit straight on to your existing alloys then do it - I did that with my LS and have stored the other rubber at home and wills wap back at the end of March.

Good luck tracking them down.

When I do manage to locate the correct tyres, could I not just have them swopped onto my current alloys and store the current tyres till march/april?

Generally not a good idea as you run the risk of damaging the tyres let alone the fact that within 3 years you could have bought a set of 2nd hand alloys with the changeover costs.

Personally I would not bother with winter tyres in the UK; the RX is very good in the snow as long as you take it easy. Also I would add the Pirelli Scorpion Zero to the list, although not original equipment, and I have 18 inch wheel so I do not know if they come in 19 inch.

when it costs so little (saved wear on normal) why not have the extra security. You are making the same mistake that everyone does that winter tyres=snow tyres which is far from the whole truth. Winter tyres perform better on dry tarmac sub 8 deg and are designed to shift water & slush far better than a summer tyre. The fact that they also grip way better on snow and ice is a plus.

While the rx may feel better on snow than some cars be very careful as it weighs over 1.5b tonnes and while you may get going better than most cars on snow you will almost certainly stop slower due to newtons law.

Also has the benefit that you dont scrag your alloys over time with all the salt

I changed the standard crapstones for a set of Falken hs-439. This has totally transformed the car, over the last month of bad weather in Aberdeenshire, they have been brilliant.

They are h rated rather than v, but I have informed my insurance company and they are fine with it.

Mark

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I managed to locate a set of "Pirelli Scorpian Snow & Ice tyres", delivered next day and fitted by the helpful village garage, the weather has warmed-up so no snow or ice, but still very wet and they are are more responsive than then summer tyres which were on previously...still these have only covered 7k so they're in the garage till Feb/March.

All the best.

• 4 weeks later...

I have General Grubber UHP 235 55 R18 100V on mine, they are great in all conditions. Plenty of grip for sensible driving over the last couple of snowy weeks.

YEP, the gens are good, i run my rx on them and cant complain at all, very good and havent really noticed any difference in noise levels either, think i paid approx £120 a corner

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links