Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300 - What Is The Fuel Consumption?

Hi Guys,

Merry Christmas to everyone first of all.

I am going to look at a 2001 IS300 tomorrow which has 59,000 miles on the clock with a FLSH. I am knew to this particular model and have read horror stories about the poor fuel consumption - being at around 20 - is this correct? I was looking at a Jaguar X type 3 litre which I discounted for several reasons included the poor mpg.

I am using the car to do my daily commute to work which is 7 miles each way. I currently have a Ford Fiesta which on £40 gets me about 250 miles to a tank - what do you reckon I should expect to get from the IS300.

Is there anything which I need to look for when going to see the car tomorrow and do you feel it would be wise to get a warranty with this?

Cheers for your advice.

Nick

Your first question is the 300 worth getting over the 200, IMO yes anyday the 300 is a much nicer car, I have owned 2 200 and now a 300. The problem is that people always state how the fuel consumption on the 300 is not much heaveier than the 200 and this is very true, what is missed in that staetment is how bad the 200 is on fuel by todays standareds.

You can not even begin to compare a 300 to a Fiesta off the top of my head the consumtion would be nealry double! on 7 mile trips i would expect to get 280-300 from a tank that is nearly £80 to fill.

Regards

Russell.

Hi Guys,

Merry Christmas to everyone first of all.

I am going to look at a 2001 IS300 tomorrow which has 59,000 miles on the clock with a FLSH. I am knew to this particular model and have read horror stories about the poor fuel consumption - being at around 20 - is this correct? I was looking at a Jaguar X type 3 litre which I discounted for several reasons included the poor mpg.

I am using the car to do my daily commute to work which is 7 miles each way. I currently have a Ford Fiesta which on £40 gets me about 250 miles to a tank - what do you reckon I should expect to get from the IS300.

Is there anything which I need to look for when going to see the car tomorrow and do you feel it would be wise to get a warranty with this?

Cheers for your advice.

Nick

All combined cycle mpg:

Fiesta 1.6 Duratec 42.8mpg

IS200 Manual 28.8 mpg

IS300 Auto 26.2 mpg - they are all auto.

These official figures might not be what is achieved in the real world, but are a like-for-like comparisons. The difference in the driving experience is like the difference between drinking meths and single malt whisky.

MPG wise, its not a fair comparison, with full tank London city driving I get around 280 miles for just under £80. Lexus is a much bigger and heavier car than a Fiesta, they compete in a different car class. Fairer comparison is with 3 series, C class etc with a 3L engine then you will see the is300 comes up as average.

Driving wise, is300 is definitely worth it. It will be in a different class, absolutely silent on engine tick over and the extra power over the fiesta will be day and night. Reliability wise, with up to date schedule, the is300 will out last me. In the US, some is300 have covered over 300k miles with original engine and transmission.

So if mpg is at the top of your list then, I wouldn't recommend an is300, petrol + insurance will be more expensive... but if you are after a perfectly built car, with 100% reliability sport sedan then I can't find any better 3L car in UK.

• 3 weeks later...

IS300 is a great car, I get about 280-300 miles from a tank which now costs me £85 odd. if you are light footed and use cruise control etc you can get 320 miles to the tank

also depends if you like autos or not like the above has said all uk 300's are autos..also the 200's are silent on tick over and very quiet on the road as well

I must admit 90% of my driving is motorway driving and the current tank is the first proper test i've been able to do what with all the snow we had.... But i'm currently on something like 315 miles done and the needle is between one and two notches below the quarter tank point. I reckon there's around another 50-75 miles left in the tank which if it turns out to be right i'll be happy with getting 360-380 out of a tank.

I did put a dose of Millers in with the fuel but it was the first time so i don't expect that to have done anything till maybe another one or two full tank fulls with Millers added.

Cheers

Dave.

The first few miles of a journey from cold use more fuel, your 7 mile commutes will probably get you less mpg than the above figures.

This is very true. If you calculate what the various consumptions quoted in miles per tank posted in this topic amount to: 20 - 24.5 mpg, and maybe worse for a 7 mile commute; the IS300 is going to be a lot thirstier than a Fiesta for the daily run. If just economy controls car choice, the IS300 really isn't the one, but in every other possible way it is a much better car - except that it spoils owners and makes it really hard to go back to crap if they ever have to.

hi, if iam just running to work and back shopping ect work is around 9-10 miles each way i get around 280-290 miles per tank, mainly on A roads

having had a 8 cars in my 7 years of driving this one i will be keeping for many years to come worth the running cost 100%.

hope this help.

The first few miles of a journey from cold use more fuel, your 7 mile commutes will probably get you less mpg than the above figures.

Yep agreed... The figures i quoted above show this very well as my commute to work is 24 miles each way with around all but 2 miles of each way being on motorway. So a 48 mile round trip with 44 miles being motorway.

Shows how much extra you can get out of it with regular longish journeys and very few short journeys. :)

Another thing to consider is the geography in your area. I'm in Sheffield so you don't go more than 100yds without a bloody big hill to climb up. If you live in a relatively flat area your economy may be slightly better.

Cheers

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an update to my posts above.... I've just had the low fuel light come on after 325 miles.... Just brimmed it after doing 330 miles and put just under 60 litres in, so around a gallon and a half still in the tank, and the mpg for the tank works out at exactly 25mpg. That's with all but around 50-60 miles being motorway so not too bad to say the official combined is 26.2mpg??? I also had the air-con permanently on for around the first 150-200 miles of the tank as i didn't realise it was on :oops: .... I was still getting used to the car at that time too. So maybe i could have got a little more out of it???

Cheers

Dave.

Yes the IS's are heavy on petrol but when you consider that both cars run to high mileages and they are very well built, the true cost of ownership is not that high. People say the way ahead is electric. These cars are unbelievably cheap to "fill the tank" but the batteries need replacing every 4-5 years at enormous expense, then it looks shakey. Imagine what you would get for a 4 year electric car with its batteries about to expire.

Yes the IS's are heavy on petrol but when you consider that both cars run to high mileages and they are very well built, the true cost of ownership is not that high. People say the way ahead is electric. These cars are unbelievably cheap to "fill the tank" but the batteries need replacing every 4-5 years at enormous expense, then it looks shakey. Imagine what you would get for a 4 year electric car with its batteries about to expire.

also you have hybrids aswell new prius 1.8 gets 72.9 miles to the gallon we have even had customers do more than that.

I've worked mine out a couple of times and I'm averaging 26mpg in my IS300. So its not exactly horror story worthy, still ain't fantastic but the car is worth it. I'd say those official figures are pretty accurate tbh. I had a 200 before and did get 28 on average.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to dig up this again but just filled her up and got the best ever out of her with this tank..... Got 401.4 miles out of the tank and put 63.48 litres in to fill the tank fully. She seems to be getting better with every tankful!!! Maybe the Millers additive is giving the engine a clean through after all.

Cheers

Dave.

Sorry to dig up this again but just filled her up and got the best ever out of her with this tank..... Got 401.4 miles out of the tank and put 63.48 litres in to fill the tank fully. She seems to be getting better with every tankful!!! Maybe the Millers additive is giving the engine a clean through after all.

That's quite impressive, was that some seriously gentle driving as that's what it would take to get 400 miles out of my 200 auto!

That's quite impressive, was that some seriously gentle driving as that's what it would take to get 400 miles out of my 200 auto!

It was a road trip from Sheffield to Whitby and back (around 100 miles each way), with a few days driving around whilst there and down to Scarborough and back.... (So a bit of stop start, a bit of motorway 70-75mph and the rest on country roads so 50-60mph stuff).

Then the rest was my normal trips to work and back along the motorway at 70-75mph and a few miles stop start town driving.

Cheers

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

In US they are getting 320-420 miles per tank. Depending on driving habits and conditions.

Oh, and there were manual IS300´s, but not with RHD