Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help With Resetting Key/remote

Hi!

Have just had to change the Battery on my key remote and, of course, it now needs resetting/retraining. There is nothing in the manual but I thought there was a detailed how-to-do it explanation on this forum, bt cannot find it now. If anyone remembers where it is or how to do it I'd be most grateful.

Thank you.

Hi!

Have just had to change the battery on my key remote and, of course, it now needs resetting/retraining. There is nothing in the manual but I thought there was a detailed how-to-do it explanation on this forum, bt cannot find it now. If anyone remembers where it is or how to do it I'd be most grateful.

Thank you.

Still looking and so far nothing for the LS400, MK4 1998

Hi, guys!

I am still hoping for an answer having done a great deal of reading on this forum.

Here is the full story to now:

Yesterday morning my key (1 of 2 masters) was working fine - full functions: lock, unlock, open boot, work the windows, sunroof. Yesterday evening, after a 50 mile run I stopped, locked it up and when I came back 5 minutes later the key was no longer working (red light dim and then died). Went home collected 2nd key and all worked fine (except that the casing on the 2nd key is breaking up and the Battery was changed last year at the same time s the key that failed). Today I purchased 2 batteries from local Toyota (Lexus quite far) and replaced the one in the failed key (was told by Toyota not to touch the Battery bare-handed so put on latex gloves). Light now strong, the key will lock the doors as usual and when will start the engine but does not unlock the doors or boot or windows, sunroof (except when the key is inserted in the door lock). Subsequently read that one should remove the old Battery and then hold the button/s down to remove any residual voltage and reset the key - did this and tried again, same results as before. So it's about half working! I'd be most grateful for any thoughts or suggestions. Hope to get this sorted before the 2nd key fails. Have never tried just locking the car with the key and not sure what this will do in terms of the alarm.

Thanks.

The remote on the LS4 does not require re-programming after Battery replacement as far as I am aware :huh:

The only thing that I can think of is that either you are having a reciever issue or the key has somehow lost it connection to the car :blink:

When you say the car will lock with the key do you mean by remote or by inserting the key into the lock?

Andy

The remote on the LS4 does not require re-programming after battery replacement as far as I am aware :huh:

The only thing that I can think of is that either you are having a reciever issue or the key has somehow lost it connection to the car :blink:

When you say the car will lock with the key do you mean by remote or by inserting the key into the lock?

Andy

Hi Andy!

Thank you for the reply. I did not think that the key did need re-programming after changing the Battery since last year I had the batteries in both master keys changed (at Lexus) - it was just done in front of me with the car well away. The difference was that last year need one had actually stopped working whereas this year I was just locked out - the light was very dim and then not visible at all. After replacing the Battery the light shines bright (when pushed) and master key 1 (the one with the Battery that run out) now does the following: locks the car either by remote or by inserting the key in the lock and starts the car. It also unlocks the car by inserting the key in the lock. Previously it also unlocked the boot and, of course, unlocked the doors - both by remote. Master key 2 continues to function normally - all functions: locks/unlocks doors, unlocks boot by remote and, of course, starts the car. When I was locked out (by the failure of the battery) I tried getting in by inserting the key in the lock and turning it. Result: the alarm went off and I was able to roll the windows down. Inserted the key in the ignition but the car did not start and the alarm did not stop until after I had closed all windows and allowed the allowed the alarm to reset in the usual time period. I am concerned that, if I use master key 2, the Battery (changed at the same time as the now non-working master key 1) will also fail and leave me stranded some place since I do not know how to unlock the car when it has been locked by remote and the remote is no longer operational. The downside to locking the car by simply inserting the key in the lock seems to be that the alarm is not activated. I'd be most grateful for any further thoughts...

Many thanks,

Thanks but no luck - the links don't work. Since you mention that you used these instructions when adding a key, given Andy's reply and my own previous experience where nothing needed doing except changing the Battery, I am wondering whether I am faced with key that has partially failed? If so replacement cost, at nearest Lexus, is £160. Lexus tell me that there is no test (other than the obvious one of trying it out with the car) for the key.

Thanks again, and all the best for 2011!

P.S. Given that both our cars are 98s MkIV I wonder if there is a way to unlock the car by inserting the key in the lock without triggering the alarm? If there is I could continue to use my still functional key without worrying what will happen when it fails; indeed since the failed key still locks the doors remotely I could use it.

Hi, LEXUS KEYS well for the LS400 anyway !

My understanding is that Lexus put the new / replacement key orders out to the tame key cutting businesses that are able to deal with the high tech imposed by these Car Companies.

There happens to be one in Margate, who replaced my earlier non-teccy key BUT advised me that they actually do the full key cutting / replacement service for Lexus because they are one of the very few businesses in the country that have invested heavily in the appropriate technology.

I don't know where you are in the country but it might be worth exploring this aspect too before you invest heavily in a Lexus Dealer ordered key.

Malc

My understanding is that Lexus put the new / replacement key orders out to the tame key cutting businesses that are able to deal with the high tech imposed by these Car Companies.

There happens to be one in Margate, who replaced my earlier non-teccy key BUT advised me that they actually do the full key cutting / replacement service for Lexus because they are one of the very few businesses in the country that have invested heavily in the appropriate technology.

I don't know where you are in the country but it might be worth exploring this aspect too before you invest heavily in a Lexus Dealer ordered key.

Malc

The keys we order from Lexus are done to chassis number and sent direct to us from Toyota Germany :)

Andy

Malc

Thank you for the info - will look into it.

Malc

The keys we order from Lexus are done to chassis number and sent direct to us from Toyota Germany :)

Andy

Thank you for this - may I ask what is your procedure for this and cost? Email: NOTFAG@gmail.com

Thanks