Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fog Lamps When It's Not Foggy

Enright

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me, or have we just got back on-topic again? :winky:

Well someone needs to take on a leadership role!!

Personally, I think it should be someone with (correctly aimed) yellow fog lights.

No Chav would be seen dead with them.

Personally, I think it should be someone with (correctly aimed) yellow fog lights.

:zee: :driving:

Is this aimed at me. If you read my post it says i have discontected them. Also as they are as said large and the car came with them i have no option but to leave them alone. If i could find some sort of blank for them i would or even a clear lenze would be better. They look naff even when not on. But then its come from Japan maybe they like them yellow over there. The igniton key even has a pokemon on it and the spare has mini mouse. So if you think this country has chav car look up some form Japan i imagine they be real chav.

Actually, I think the young Japanese are real Chav types. As far as I know the LS was aimed at the American market first, and I think fog lights in the US were, or are yellow. Any Americans to confirm that?

The LS is the least Chav like car you can get, it's for the middle aged discerning gentleman like myself, pipe and slipper types!

Chavs are just people with more money than taste and nothing to do with how they drive. Older, wealthy ones can live behind electric gates and own a big Audi SUV with black windows and chrome alloys. Younger ones aspire to this lifestyle starting with older quality motors polished to within an inch of their life. For formal occasions and Court appearances both wear expensive suits of inappropriate shiny material elegantly cut in the 1960s London Gangster style - often set off by a brilliantly white shirts revealing multiple thick gold chains. Good luck to them! Tastelessness is their free choice and their Right and also serves to give the rest of us a laugh and feel a bit superior.

There is a completely separate group (mainly youngsters) which maybe includes some chavs, who like to hoon about in flash motors with every light ablaze to attract flash girlfriends with quick-release clothes. They don't think they are doing any harm or making driving a bit more dangerous because their minds are elsewhere and anyway thinking is not one of their strengths. They are just A**eholes.

Finally, there are those who know quite well the way they drive and use their lights annoys other drivers, is sometimes illegal and makes the roads a bit more dangerous. They even enjoy doing so and will seek all sorts of spurious justifications for it. Chavs may be included in their number, but there is actually a special name which defines them - which I am not going to write down. :tomato:

Chavs are just people with more money than taste and nothing to do with how they drive. Older, wealthy ones can live behind electric gates and own a big Audi SUV with black windows and chrome alloys. Younger ones aspire to this lifestyle starting with older quality motors polished to within an inch of their life. For formal occasions and Court appearances both wear expensive suits of inappropriate shiny material elegantly cut in the 1960s London Gangster style - often set off by a brilliantly white shirts revealing multiple thick gold chains. Good luck to them! Tastelessness is their free choice and their Right and also serves to give the rest of us a laugh and feel a bit superior.

There is a completely separate group (mainly youngsters) which maybe includes some chavs, who like to hoon about in flash motors with every light ablaze to attract flash girlfriends with quick-release clothes. They don't think they are doing any harm or making driving a bit more dangerous because their minds are elsewhere and anyway thinking is not one of their strengths. They are just A**eholes.

Finally, there are those who know quite well the way they drive and use their lights annoys other drivers, is sometimes illegal and makes the roads a bit more dangerous. They even enjoy doing so and will seek all sorts of spurious justifications for it. Chavs may be included in their number, but there is actually a special name which defines them - which I am not going to write down. :tomato:

Not a bad epistle. Probably, I would think, that most people would agree, that like me (10.45 pm) this post should now be put to bed.

Good night Chavs and discerning gentlemen (and ladies) alike. :sleeping:

A BBC TV documentary suggested that "chav" culture is an evolution of previous working-class youth subcultures associated with particular commercial clothing styles, such as mods, skinheads and casuals.

The widespread use of the "chav" stereotype has come in for some criticism.

Some argue that it amounts to simple snobbery and elitism. Critics of the term have argued that its users are "neo-snobs", and that its increasing popularity raises questions about how British society deals with social mobility and class. In a February 2005 article in The Times, Julie Burchill argued that use of the word is a form of "social racism", and that such "sneering" reveals more about the shortcomings of the "chav-haters" than those of their supposed victims. The writer John Harris argued along similar lines in a 2007 article in The Guardian.

Theres always 2 sides to every story!!. Theres lots of derivatives and origins of the word "chav"

I think inthis case it could just be that "neo-snobs" have now got the problem that the average lad can now afford the car that he thought made him elitist. Because of this he now wishes to distance himself from such bad taste before his neighbours realise his Lexus isnt that posh afterall!!

i am 22 and aspire to be rich successful and live in a rather large house with automatic gates, i currently live in a nice place and drive a lexus. i dress accordingly to where i am going, flash suit for the races (aintree races) jogging bottoms for lounging around, football kit for footy, jeans trianers hoodys, jumpers for every other day to day occurance, in my opinion the norm. . . . am i a chav .....no. its all about peoples opinions. My opinion of a chav is a baseball cap cheap tracksuit wearing ***** with a 10 year old clio/corsa/fiesta/punto/saxo with massive alloys a rediculous exhaust and spoilers bigger than the car itself.

Is this right, probably not because to me anyone who is not from a city is in local terms known as a "wool" i live no more than 20 mins away from southport where the above mentioned description of a chav is norm to them and their opinion of me in my blacked out lexus am more than likely a chav or whatever.

Where i am from most young lads dont mod their cars up. . . some lads my age are dealing drugs and driving round in volvo s40s audis bmws and yes lexus (although i am not a drug dealer) and these are seen as cool cars because of the status that comes with them, although to a girl walking past me in my car in town who was not from liverpool on a night out described my car as weird!

its all about opinions!

one last thing the bull**** about foglights being certain heights off the floor is absolute nonsense. i can say this knowing little about regulations and specifics because i know a lot about cars. Look at range rovers l200 warriors, land cruisers, X5s, Q7s, MLs and then compare to Is200s or even lower cars 911s M3s etc. . . they are different ride heights! so it is absolutley impossible to determine a fog light based on the distance away from the floor or whatever was stated before!

Rant over!

One thing I know is that time clouds the memories. When I think back to a car I had in the 70's, a big Chevrolet, the things I did to that were ridiculous. The point of all this is to remember what history has taught us. Many moons ago the great and wise Sage Enright said (and this is from the original Greek version) "Snuff thy candle on bright days, lest it be considered large and trick like")

In other words: TURN THEM OFF!!!!! :shifty:

A fog light can be any where from on the ground to almost 4 feet up. Thats why Range Rovers and such like get away with fog lights high. Since this thread started i have noticed more and more cars that have daytime running lights in the spot low down on the bumper where a fog light would normally be. These lights as daytime running lights are ment to dim when its dark, but because they are on all the time as the new law states they have to have day time running lights their aloud to have them on. The ones i have seen seem to be no dimmer when its dark and they just look like they are driving round with their fog lights on. The new mercedes i have seen dont have fog lights anymore they just have the daytime running lights.

A fog light can be any where from on the ground to almost 4 feet up. Thats why Range Rovers and such like get away with fog lights high. Since this thread started i have noticed more and more cars that have daytime running lights in the spot low down on the bumper where a fog light would normally be. These lights as daytime running lights are ment to dim when its dark, but because they are on all the time as the new law states they have to have day time running lights their aloud to have them on. The ones i have seen seem to be no dimmer when its dark and they just look like they are driving round with their fog lights on. The new mercedes i have seen dont have fog lights anymore they just have the daytime running lights.

I know this will muddy the waters more but could the new Mercs still have foglights but positioned in the main headlamp housing????

And before anybody says that can't be done the first attached image is of a mk1 Octavia which has factory fit front foglights..... Can't see them??? They are the projector style lenses on the outer edge of the normal reflector headlights. The second image is a mkIV Golf OEM head light housing with front foglight positioned under the indicator.

This also does away with the previously mentioned thing about foglights having to be below the centre line of the bumper..... Although can't remember exactly what was said about that at some point during the thread.

Just something else to consider. :whistling:

SkodafrontCustom2.jpg

F134951.jpg

Cheers

Dave.

Yes dave the fog lights could be in the headlights i think there was a post earlier in the thread about a fog light position being as high as anything up to 4 feet from the ground. It's very possible that they could be there. I pretty certain that there used to be something in the mot test about any light above the centre line of the bumper being testable for beam pattern and angle in the mot test. Definitely and additional lights on the car above the bumper that came on with headlights were subject to beam and angle test. Its not something i have come across recently so it could have been removed now. There's loads of changes in the mot test almost monthly. Slightly off topic but i once failed a vehicle for corroded brake discs,the guy changed them but by the time he brought it back it wasn't in the test any more. I didn't retest his vehicle as i could no longer fail it even if he hadn't changed them.

the only problem with that fil is the fogs are not testable on the mot..

the amount of changes is redic the now in the mot,cant fail pitted scored disks cant fail for no beam patteren etc bloody joke

the amount of changes is redic the now in the mot,cant fail pitted scored disks cant fail for no beam patteren etc bloody joke

Yes ormi i went in work today and checked. It used to be any light above the bumper was testable. I know scored corroded brake discs are nto int he test no more i have explained that once i failed a vehicle for corroded brake discs when it came back for restest they were not in the test any more so i didnt really need to retest as the failed item wasnt a fail any more.

I believe airbag/srs lights are being brought into the mot soon so thats the next change.

Yes ormi i went in work today and checked. It used to be any light above the bumper was testable. I know scored corroded brake discs are nto int he test no more i have explained that once i failed a vehicle for corroded brake discs when it came back for restest they were not in the test any more so i didnt really need to retest as the failed item wasnt a fail any more.

I believe airbag/srs lights are being brought into the mot soon so thats the next change.

i read that too i think that should be brought in as its a saftey issue bet you see just as many cars coming in for mot as i do with the a/b light on

i read that too i think that should be brought in as its a saftey issue bet you see just as many cars coming in for mot as i do with the a/b light on

Yes it should be in the mot but, needing the airbag to work would mean that the car would have to crash and we are nto allowed to predict the future during an mot test. WE are not allowed to say how the car will be in the future so who needs the airbags working. Thats the current stand point. Funny thing is though vosa can predict the future they certain everyone going to crash and roll over other wise why would you need a fuel cap with a seal on it. If you not going to roll your car then why seal the fuel tank filler. Working at a dealer ormi you wont have half the crap i get. Sills failed on corrosion that have been repaired with filler,then primed and painted. What can i do ? i cant start scrapping the paint away to see if theres any metal there can i. The guide says listen for the noise when tapping to see if it sounds diffrent(or words to that effect) firstly the owner wont be happy me tapping his freshly painted sill. Secondly i cant fail it for sounding funny!!. Mot testing is a bag of nightmares if it wasnt lucrative i dont think many garages would want to do it.

Had any nasty emails from vosa yet??. I had one the other week asking why i had doen an mot at 12.37 when we close at 12.30 on a saturday. I failed a car at 9 oclock on a horn not working, i had not time to fix it so just failed it. As i pulled the front door shutter down the guy came beep beep beeping down the road. I rolled up the door and fast tracked it for him. How stupid was i to think it wouldnt matter if i worked 7 minutes over time!!.

Well of topic but but hey. oh and as most of my post get removed anyway doesnt matter lol

yes mate i have had the emails i passed a car 3mins after we closed and got a email,you might be suprised but we get a few regulars with wrecks a pajero springs to mind and its a wreck i failed it for holes near the body mountings the boy took it away brought it back two days later covered in underseal im looking at it thinking that doesnt look right mot hammer one hard wack and the filler and newspaper came crashing down!!walked round informed him it had failed again as news paper doesnt count as a repair oh and you'll need to pay for a full test next time...but your right i only see a few cars i dread sitting in the car park..lol

My 2p worth - I don't understand why people do it when there is no good reason. It doesn't look cool. I occasionally use my fog lights when it's not foggy on country roads as it gives me a better view of the road directly in front of the car and makes it easier to see potholes.

Dave you really need to read my post i have mentioned the ministry of transport on more than one occasion vosa and ministry of transport are the same thing!!! do you still take your carfor an mot test as in Ministry Of Transport or do you take your car for a vosa. No you take your car for an mot test same as the rest of us do. Vosa is mearly the name ministry of transport use these days. I know i work for vosa or ministry of transport or what ever you want to call them,So moving the goal post ha ha read my post mate i quite rightlyfully laugh at your post at least twice i mentioned minsitry of transport. If you can see a diffrence between the 2 then let me know as i have and do worked for both and seen no diffrence. LILL0021 id my I.D. number if you wish to check my credentials.

My wife works for the Ministry of Transport - she doesn't work for VOSA... not sure what you're talking about tbh. The ministry of transport deals with aviation, railways, ferries, etc. VOSA doesn't. Are the police and ministry of justice the same thing?

My 2p worth - I don't understand why people do it when there is no good reason. It doesn't look cool. I occasionally use my fog lights when it's not foggy on country roads as it gives me a better view of the road directly in front of the car and makes it easier to see potholes.

Dave you really need to read my post i have mentioned the ministry of transport on more than one occasion vosa and ministry of transport are the same thing!!! do you still take your carfor an mot test as in Ministry Of Transport or do you take your car for a vosa. No you take your car for an mot test same as the rest of us do. Vosa is mearly the name ministry of transport use these days. I know i work for vosa or ministry of transport or what ever you want to call them,So moving the goal post ha ha read my post mate i quite rightlyfully laugh at your post at least twice i mentioned minsitry of transport. If you can see a diffrence between the 2 then let me know as i have and do worked for both and seen no diffrence. LILL0021 id my I.D. number if you wish to check my credentials.

My wife works for the Ministry of Transport - she doesn't work for VOSA... not sure what you're talking about tbh. The ministry of transport deals with aviation, railways, ferries, etc. VOSA doesn't. Are the police and ministry of justice the same thing?

ministry of transport used to be incharge of mot testing as well thats why its called Ministry Of Transport test. MOst ald time testers still use the name ministry when refering to vosa and i know everyone still calls it an mot test. I dont know anyone that thinks ooohh my vosa is due at the end of the month.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this just now on the Briskoda forum from a new Fabia vRS owner, (The one with the DRL's in the foglight position)....

"Was driving along the A259 through Sandgate this afternoon in a law abiding manner, when a Officer of the Law in an Octavia coming opposite direction signalled me to pull over.

Which I did so. Of course. He does 3 point turn and pulls up alongside and says. "You shouldnt have your front fog lights on!" Then pulls in front of me. I dig the handbook out. I know whats coming. We get out of our cars.

"You know, you shouldnt have fog lights on in good visibilty?" I reply that the lights are Day time Running Lights and all new cars are getting them!!!

"Oh yes I can see now, they arent fog lights! I do apologise. I`ll go off now and find someone who is breaking the law!!"

I know that DRL`s arent that common, but Ive seen them on Octavias, Mercs, Audi`s, DS-3`s, Polos Golfs. So they are becoming more common."

Cheers

Dave.