Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I had to leave my IS250 SE-L at the heathrow long term car park for most of december. When i returned back from my vacation and cleared the frozen snow (there are cars out there which still have snow lying on them... surprised it still did not melt away completely) found a crack about 15 cms on the wind screen... although i cant feel the crack when i run my finger across it, its clealy visible that there is a crack...

i called up my insurance (lexus insurance) and they arranged for a replacement windscreen with National windscreens...

because i never heard of national windscreens before and that my car has got rain sensing wipers and quick defrost etc and i want to be sure that all these work after the windscreen is replaced.... can someone suggest me the things to looks for when the windscreen is being replaced...

and finally do the wind screens crack if the snow is not cleared for a long time....???

Make sure the side trims are not damaged when they remove them, i watched the fitter when they did mine, and the trims and blue clips were broken, so i asked for new ones, also make sure the new screen has the wiring and plug for the wiper heating element, check before it's fitted.

Make sure the side trims are not damaged when they remove them, i watched the fitter when they did mine, and the trims and blue clips were broken, so i asked for new ones, also make sure the new screen has the wiring and plug for the wiper heating element, check before it's fitted.

Thanks for the information ... i will keep an eye while the windscreen is being replaced...

and again still a general doubt ... do windscreens crack if the snow is not removed for a long time ...

Lexus Insurance deal directly with your Dealer & my Dealer(Derby) did a perfect job for me inclusive of new Trims & Clips.

Insist your Dealer does it!

Tel

and again still a general doubt ... do windscreens crack if the snow is not removed for a long time ...

Never heard of this happening but is it possible that you had a chip in your screen which could have then cracked the screen when the snow froze in the chip and expanded?

Lexus Insurance deal directly with your Dealer & my Dealer(Derby) did a perfect job for me inclusive of new Trims & Clips.

Insist your Dealer does it!

Tel

I asked for it to be replaced by a lexus dealer... but the contact number for replacing windscreens on my insurance document always puts me through National windscreens....

However i now have a new issue after the windscreen is replaced the engine is can be heard very clearly inside the cabin .... sounds smooth and clean ... but not sure why the sound started to enter the cabin ... as if the engine bay and the cabin are connected with some hollow pipes .......

any thoughts on this????

iv been a windsecrren fitter for ten years, the reason lexus insurance direct to national is cus they are the approved repairer for that insurer. 9 times out of 10 if you take it to the dealer to have done,national will do it anyway. although some of the larger dealers will have an inhouse fitter.

If national do the job,insist on a dealer part only trims and clips,this is your right!

when the fitter comes he should do a pre check and physically check he has the correct screen, check for rain and light sensors and test, tint of glass.

test once replacment has finshed.

have a good look around work area before signing!!! look for scratches to paintwork(tops of wings,bonnet edge near screen,inner an outer A posts,roof and lining).

hope this helps.

Got another replacement today and all looks well so far...

apparently, the previous screen was not sealed properly in a few places and the plastic casing that sits on top of the windscreen and under the bonnet was not fitted properly..

i insisted for a genuine one to be replaced, but it was replaced with a pilkington OEM version and national windscreens was saying that pilkington makes the glass for new Lexus vehicles....

thanks for the suggestions everybody

• 1 year later...

Just had my IS220d windscreen replaced today by Auto Glass - through my insurance company. The fitter appears to have done a good job - the next few days will tell.

Anyway it is a heated screen with acoustic glass same as the original. Auto glass said they would only fit a replacement to match the original fit. Also it came with all new trim fittings as standard.

Just had my IS220d windscreen replaced today by Auto Glass - through my insurance company. The fitter appears to have done a good job - the next few days will tell.

Anyway it is a heated screen with acoustic glass same as the original. Auto glass said they would only fit a replacement to match the original fit. Also it came with all new trim fittings as standard.

Good news with the replacement screen and welcome to the LOC Alistair

Make sure the windscreen is for a right hand drive vehicle. I had mine replaced recently, they took the old screen out before noticing that there are wire connections for the wiper heaters were on the wrong side ! The screens are specific to left and right hand drive cars. They had to seal the old screen back into the car and come back a week later with the correct screen !

Make sure the windscreen is for a right hand drive vehicle. I had mine replaced recently, they took the old screen out before noticing that there are wire connections for the wiper heaters were on the wrong side ! The screens are specific to left and right hand drive cars. They had to seal the old screen back into the car and come back a week later with the correct screen !

ooooh hooo.. when the guys worked on my car's windscreen, they cracked the old one totally when removing it and would not have gone back on the car if they realised they didnt have the right one ..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links