Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mine started to do this - took it to the dealer and they ran some checks and it was due to a build up in carbon.

Basically they had to replace the lower half of the engine - they said it would have cost £7k if not under warranty - so hope yours is still under and get it there quick!

My Lexus IS 220d has started to smoke after i have been in traffic and drive off,is this normal, its not using oil or water and drives fine.

it needs a new particulate filter mate,i have just had mine done by lexus under warranty,should of been 2k,its common hope you have warranty

Mine started to do this - took it to the dealer and they ran some checks and it was due to a build up in carbon.

Basically they had to replace the lower half of the engine - they said it would have cost £7k if not under warranty - so hope yours is still under and get it there quick!

What colour smoke was it comming out of the exhaust? mine seems to be blue.

My Lexus IS 220d has started to smoke after i have been in traffic and drive off,is this normal, its not using oil or water and drives fine.

it needs a new particulate filter mate,i have just had mine done by lexus under warranty,should of been 2k,its common hope you have warranty

what coulour smoke was it comming out of the exhaust? mine seems to be blue. did a dashboard light come on to say filer was blocked?

Mine was also smoking. Lexus said petrol had been put into the engine and I didn't believe them as I had definitely NOT done that but I gave them the benefit of the doubt as they're the experts (apparently!). It set me back £300 (plus the cost of the fuel that was in there already) to drain the tank and change the filter. They also said it was still smoking a little but it should clear up after 150 miles or so. I think I've done around 250 since then (approximately 10 days ago) and guess what? Today, the smoke was back!! I was fuming (pardon the pun!). Should I call them and demand my money back??

Mine was also smoking. Lexus said petrol had been put into the engine and I didn't believe them as I had definitely NOT done that but I gave them the benefit of the doubt as they're the experts (apparently!). It set me back £300 (plus the cost of the fuel that was in there already) to drain the tank and change the filter. They also said it was still smoking a little but it should clear up after 150 miles or so. I think I've done around 250 since then (approximately 10 days ago) and guess what? Today, the smoke was back!! I was fuming (pardon the pun!). Should I call them and demand my money back??

Yes i would call them and get your money back. what colour was your smoke?

Yes i would call them and get your money back. what colour was your smoke?

It's hard to say because it's difficult to drive and look in the mirror for any length of time at the same time. At it's worse I would say it's dark grey changing to white. It's worse when moving off after I've been slow-moving traffic then it clears up once I get up to speed.

What colour smoke was it comming out of the exhaust? mine seems to be blue.

Mine varied from a grey to a bluey tint. Blue smoke can also indicate (I think) something like the head gasket is going.

When my car was doing it, I couldnt get it to do it at will, but every so often I'd look in the mirror after accelerating and there would be a big cloud filling the road - it would do it picking up from 30 smoking all the way up to around 70 when starting to lift off, then wouldnt do it again for a short while.

Did your cars have a miss fire?

bluey smoke yes then clears up,trust me its the particulate filter just had mine done,no lights on dash or anything

Can lexus do a test to confirm its the filter? what did it cost 2k?

Why does it cause the car to miss fire?

Did your cars have a miss fire?

bluey smoke yes then clears up,trust me its the particulate filter just had mine done,no lights on dash or anything

Can lexus do a test to confirm its the filter? what did it cost 2k?

Why does it cause the car to miss fire?

mine never misfired,although i had a new one put on a merc once as it goes into safe mode,think it clogs everything put faulty particulate filters are a common problem on 220d and lexus know this.

blue smoke = burning oil. It may be head gasket, also piston sealing rings.

Burning the oil may destruct DNPR.

Diesels are carp.....I remember when heavy oil cars where reliable, noisy but reliable.

agree. You have to treat them with gloves, and you still have no guarantee that they will be reliable.

In future it will be near the same with gasoline engine. They will also have particulate filter as direct injected engines also emit particles... Let's hope the won't use DMFs, but turbos and highpressure pumps are already in place...

Good times are gone.

Mine varied from a grey to a bluey tint. Blue smoke can also indicate (I think) something like the head gasket is going.

When my car was doing it, I couldnt get it to do it at will, but every so often I'd look in the mirror after accelerating and there would be a big cloud filling the road - it would do it picking up from 30 smoking all the way up to around 70 when starting to lift off, then wouldnt do it again for a short while.

Mines doing exactly the same. It did it at the start of the year, EGR valve subsequently failed in June on the M6! Lexus did it under warranty as it had a valve July 2009, and guess what it's doing it intermittently again now. Car's done around 4000 miles since the EGR valve done!!! Got a service due v.soon so will be mentioning it again.

Drive's perfectly well but cant help thinking that anytime now the VSC's gonna light up and into limp mode.

Mines doing exactly the same. It did it at the start of the year, EGR valve subsequently failed in June on the M6! Lexus did it under warranty as it had a valve July 2009, and guess what it's doing it intermittently again now. Car's done around 4000 miles since the EGR valve done!!! Got a service due v.soon so will be mentioning it again.

Drive's perfectly well but cant help thinking that anytime now the VSC's gonna light up and into limp mode.

Does your car have a miss fire, mine is getting worse tonight feels like the power is strugerling.

Does your car have a miss fire, mine is getting worse tonight feels like the power is strugerling.

No, drives well, power throughout the rev range from just over 1500 rpm.

Like I say EGR valve was done recently so either it's cleaning itself or its about to fail again for the 3rd time in 18 months.

• 4 weeks later...

I also have a problem with my IS220D se, Started to chuck a little bit of smoke now and again a few weeks ago, and had "check VSC" come up on dash with the engine light and abs light illuminated. Had it plugged in and got told the Particulate Filter had gone. Bought a brand new Particulate Filter, fitted it and still the same. Took my car into Lexus Coventry, who re set the lights and updated the software, they then tell me the smoke is caused by the Turbo being noisy and failing, So off I go and buy a replacement turbo which I fitted yesterday. Car boosts better and was fine on my 40mile journey home last night, however on the way to work this morning, after about ! mile of travelling it started to smoke again, In the end I opted to take the back roads instead of the motorway as very embarasing and annoying, any ideas?, before i put a gallon of petrol and a match to it, either that or going to stick it on fleabay as spares or repaire as had enough of it now.

I was going to write about this as a seperate post but may be I can write it here as well.

As soon as you notice your car is smoking first thing to note is the colour and amount of smoke.

From http://www.answers.com/topic/diesel-smoke

Exhaust gases from a diesel engine should be colorless. Smoke of any color is a clue that it’s not running properly. Here’s what exhaust smoke tells you:

Black smoke is a sign of engine overload, a restricted air supply, or a malfunctioning injector. For some reason, excess unburned fuel is being blown out of the exhaust.

Blue smoke forms when the engine’s own lubricating oil is being burned. This can indicate worn piston rings, valve guides, or seals. The oil can also come from an air filter overfilled with oil or an excess of oil in the crankcase.

White smoke is a sign of water vapor or fuel that has been atomized but not burned. The water vapor may be present in the fuel or water may be leaking into the cylinder from the cooling system. Air in the fuel can also cause white smoke.

Don’t confuse white smoke with the steam of warm engine-cooling water on a cold day, which is normal. The steam is thin and wispy, and reevaporates quickly. White smoke is slightly denser and oilier, and takes longer to disperse

Possible reasons for IS220d smoking are

1. DNPR cleaning. Possibly black/greyis smoke from time to time in irregular puffs. If that is the smoke you see, fill up you car with premium fuel, some fuel additive like millers and take it on a long fast drive on a motor way, and if possible, keep the revs high. This will clean up the DNPR system and should show improvement in MPG as well as less smoke. Usually seen by drivers who do a lot of city driving but very little or no motorway driving.

2. EGR Valve. Again, some bluish greyish smoke can be caused with EGR valve being choked. Clean it your self (http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=64978) Or get it cleaned from a garage, will cost about 50-80 pounds in most areas. Results are less smoke and better MPG. Again, using premium fuel or fuel additive may help in keeping EGR clean. As lexus for a software upgrade of ECU if possible on your vehicle

3. Constant black/grey or blue smoke that doesnt improve with the step 1 or step 2 above, get car checked. May be head gasket problem, that is covered up to 110K miles by lexus, even if you are out of warranty. Also changing air filter may help. Again, using premium fuel or fuel additive may help

• 1 month later...

Boys

VSC check shows up yesterday and Car gone to a very slow mode.....50mph. We cleaned up the very very dirty EGR Valve but again the car is going to slow mode. Ofcourse we reset the alarm but nothing. What is wrong? what should i do?

Please help..

Doros

• 1 month later...

Lexus dealers are trained by LEXUS not to tell the truth about the is220d and the poor piston rings in an attempt to avoid a very costly recall (penny wise and pound foolish) very soon they will have to make this recall with an embarrassing apology in eu this time

Some shocking documents will soon be available so stay tuned