Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is220 Head Gaskett Gone

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have said it is a WELL known fault we have an other rav 4 in today that req this type of engine work.

I myself have done over 10 rebuilds on this type of engine and that's just me we have 8 other tecs who have prob done around the same..

I'm not just a sales man or a pen pusher spraffing I am a Toyota licenced tech..and have been for approx 5-6 years now..

Hello

Thank your help with this.

As my warranty is about to expire I am going to ask for another 12 months FOC as they have just told they need to replace the Engine Block so they will have my car untill at least next Wednesday. (15 days in total.

Do you think I am within my rights to ask for a further 12 months warranty once I get my car back?

Also as I have been driving a brand new 220d I have noticed the tank takes at least 50miles less when I fill it up than my car does? Do you know why this could be as I do far too many miles to have a car that is going to come back with 50 mles less per tank?

Thanks again for all your help

Best regards

Hello

Thank your help with this.

As my warranty is about to expire I am going to ask for another 12 months FOC as they have just told they need to replace the Engine Block so they will have my car untill at least next Wednesday. (15 days in total.

Do you think I am within my rights to ask for a further 12 months warranty once I get my car back?

Also as I have been driving a brand new 220d I have noticed the tank takes at least 50miles less when I fill it up than my car does? Do you know why this could be as I do far too many miles to have a car that is going to come back with 50 mles less per tank?

Thanks again for all your help

Best regards

please please ask to see the head or you'll just have greef if its like the one in the pic...

take a good look at the pic i put up or print it off and go and compair it with your head,if you ask they will let you see it...

I also forgot to say that my water pump was replaced in May last year and again in September so is this related to the engine problems or is this a seperate issue?

water pump has nothing at all to do with it..

head cracking / headgaskett problems result in general from wrong use of the driver, as I wrote above. You, as a mechanic should know this and not say that it is bull****, rather normally explain what is not publicly known - that toyota/lexus is probably keeping secret important information about their manufacturing fault.

If manufacturer made damaged parts (design problems / material problem / manufacturing problem) nobody can blame the driver, of course, and I did not want intend to.

Why is this information secret? I don't understand. Why it is not in VOSA? Is it legal? How many owners have already paid for the repair, because they don't know about manufacturers fault and do not service their cars in toyota/lexus network anymore?

BTW I am quite horrified about quality of toyota. So 2.2 DCAT has problem with the block and head, engine 1ZZ-FE (1.8vvti) had until 2005 serious problems with oil consumption due to design, My dads company owns Corolla Verso and Yaris - both had to get fixed bearings in the transmission with about 50.000kms on the clock. Then accelerator pedal problems, power steering, rear calipers, 5th injector, egr, dcat.... something's going wrong, don't you think?

no owners will have paid for this the system wouldnt let you pay for it(its 000's).....warranty have covered this on all cars so far in the uk..

head cracking and gasket fault yes are caused by the driver.......... due to neglect ie lack of servicing checking levels wrong anti freeze mix etc not the way its driven...

reason its not on vosa........its not a recall......

its not a secret if you have a fault ie the head,burning oil,loosing coolant they fix it you get told whats wrong end off you dont need to see our warranty docs it just contains part numbers?what benifit is it?none walk in to your garage tell them your fault it'll get fixed.

Hello,

We purchased our lexus in Feb last year so it is still within the 1yr warranty it came with from the dealer.

The car is just over 3yrs old and the fan started to make a very loud noise over Christmas so I took the car to the local dealer.

They have told me the Head Gaskett is about to go so the car has to go in be stripped down tomorrow. They tell me this is a known problem on the IS220 so there should be no problem getting this fixed through Lexus.

My previous car was an Alfa 156 and due to countless problems and huge amounts of money spent it was traded in for what I thought was going to be a very reliable Lexus.

I am now concerned my lovely car has been a bad purchase and I have now just gone from bad to worse in the car stakes.

Has anyone else heard of this problem in the Lexus 220s from 06-09 plate? Also does anyone else know of any known problems with this car that I have not been told about.

I have always wanted to own a lexus and I currently fell a little bit let down.

Copy and pasted this from my reply to another thread:-

I have a is220D 2007 with 106k on the clock. Last service at 96k.

Just put it in for service with what sounded like a pin hole in the exhaust. Even the front counter person thought that was what it was too. Imagine my annoyance/dismay when they phoned and told me the Head Gasket was blown. At first it was my expense. I kicked up politely, pointing out they have done six services at Lexus through its life thus far. At 106k it is 'nicely run in' in my book!

Now I get a call three days later saying Lexus are covering the cost of repair. Happy bunny at the moment. But I am keeping a log of all conversations and events as they unfold.

There do seem to be some issues with this engine, which at first were denied by Lexus staff. However when I divulged various facts I have read here, they seemed to open up a bit.

Lexus UK have apparently extended the warranty to circa 110k for this engine problem. There must be a lot of Head Gasket issues out there. Fair play to them if they are responding in the correct manner. People do need to be made aware of this though, its damned important.

I had the same problem with mine. The car was an ex-rep car with a full Lexus service. Lexus in Plymouth could not have been more helpful and arranged for the rebuild to be done on warranty - even though the car had done 67000 miles and was over three years old (just).

At the moment the mpg is around 37mpg average and so I would be interested if anyone knows if that it likely to improve. I certainly hope so as this is going to be doing a lot of motorway miles in the forthcoming two years.

• 9 months later...

Hello

Action is in Lithuania

I've rebuild my IS220d head gasket failure when car was 3years old and had 81k KM/50k Miles on the clock. My local lexus dealer said waranity is gone, so go and ****** off with your car. So I made rebuild in other garage. So I want to ask question, is it any probability that my head gasket will be blown up on 160k km or 100k Miles milleage

Thank You

Sorry I can't ask anyone else, becaus Toyota and Lexus dealers in LT says there were no any problems except yours, but as I had heard from other sources that Toyota had done these rebuilds under waranity to some D-CAT engines in LT

Wouldn't it be good if manufactures just held their hand up when endemic problems occur ?

The head gasket went on my 5 year old IS220 D. I had the car from new, never missed a service. I took out the extended warrantee. When the dealership diagnosed the problem they tried to wriggle out of doing the work under the warranty but claiming that the gasket was not a mechanical moving part ?! They did replace it in the end but it would have been good if the Lexus dealer had acknowledged that they were aware that the head gaskets had caused problems.

Anyhow, I traded the diesel in an ex-demo IS220C SE L and have never looked back.

Wouldn't it be good if manufactures just held their hand up when endemic problems occur ?

The head gasket went on my 5 year old IS220 D. I had the car from new, never missed a service. I took out the extended warrantee. When the dealership diagnosed the problem they tried to wriggle out of doing the work under the warranty but claiming that the gasket was not a mechanical moving part ?! They did replace it in the end but it would have been good if the Lexus dealer had acknowledged that they were aware that the head gaskets had caused problems.

Anyhow, I traded the diesel in an ex-demo IS220C SE L and have never looked back.

What were the first symtoms of your blown H.Gasket and how much was on the clock?

It would but that decision is generally made by the accountants. Cost of fixing/recalling vs cost of doing nothing. Unless there is a safety issue which might result in legal action, doing nothing generally wins - particularly if it results in nervous punters buying more extended warranties ;)! It's not just Lexus - they all do it.

What were the first symtoms of your blown H.Gasket and how much was on the clock?

The car had done 120,000. The first I knew there was a problem was when the heater in the car stopped working ! I reported this at the service and they topped up the coolant and the heater stared working again but after only a few hundred miles it stopped again.

When they investigated in more detail they found oil in the coolant and diagnosed the gasket to be the cause.

The car had done 120,000. The first I knew there was a problem was when the heater in the car stopped working ! I reported this at the service and they topped up the coolant and the heater stared working again but after only a few hundred miles it stopped again.

When they investigated in more detail they found oil in the coolant and diagnosed the gasket to be the cause.

,,,detail they found oil in the coolant

Maybe CO2,not oil?

,,,detail they found oil in the coolant

Maybe CO2,not oil?

They showed me, there was a very slight oil residue in the expansion tank. That's what the technician based his diagnosis on.

I have been told by the dealer that the engine has a 7yr 100K warranty (extended due to problems) with their diesels. I have a 220d SEL and have been told to keep an eye on oil consumption, fuel consumption, warning light, coolant level and any changes to how it responds (sluggish or not). The re-build is costly and time comsuming. Expect your car to be away for a week.

Mine is a 2006, 220D SEL

Hello,

We purchased our lexus in Feb last year so it is still within the 1yr warranty it came with from the dealer.

The car is just over 3yrs old and the fan started to make a very loud noise over Christmas so I took the car to the local dealer.

They have told me the Head Gaskett is about to go so the car has to go in be stripped down tomorrow. They tell me this is a known problem on the IS220 so there should be no problem getting this fixed through Lexus.

My previous car was an Alfa 156 and due to countless problems and huge amounts of money spent it was traded in for what I thought was going to be a very reliable Lexus.

I am now concerned my lovely car has been a bad purchase and I have now just gone from bad to worse in the car stakes.

Has anyone else heard of this problem in the Lexus 220s from 06-09 plate? Also does anyone else know of any known problems with this car that I have not been told about.

I have always wanted to own a lexus and I currently fell a little bit let down.

Hello LisaDarren,

I have owned my IS220D for a little over a year now, it's a 2006 model and I have indeed got the headgasket problem. I have to say Lexus in Poole so far have been good to us. My husband owns his own garage so, naturally, we were going to find workshop space and time to try and repair the car ourselves. When we telephoned Lexus to get the parts, they explained that this fault is covered under warranty if we wanted them to do it for us. So this morning, I have dropped off my Lexus to them and they will keep it for about 10 days and it should come back fixed. Being in the trade ourselves, I have to say we purchased our Lexus for the same reason you got yours. All I would say to you is please don't be disheartened. In the grand scheme of things, every manufacturer suffers faults at some point and it's how they rectify them that matters. Lexus have extended the warranty for this particular fault to 110k miles in order to try and get as many people sorted out as they can. I haven't had any other problems at all and I know plenty of other Lexus owners locally who bring theirs into our garage for servicing and MOT's and every one of those owners talks about the general reliability of this make of car.

I certainly think you could do a lot worse and certainly the Alfa's are not known for reliability! We see all sorts in our garage as we are an independent, therefore my recommendation would be to stick with it, once repaired I am sure you will be happy with it year after year.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Please can anybody tell me about the problem with "Head Gasket" and "high oil consumption"?

What´s the reason, that NOT EACH D-CAT motor have got a problem with this issues (what´s the reason of the head gassket issue? What´s the assembly-failure?), also when it´s produced in 2005 until 2007? (My IS ist build early 2006 with 100.000km without problems - still, but i´ve fear)

Thanks a lot....

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I bought my first Lexus yesterday! I drove it home about 100miles from where I bought it and it seemed amazing, I loved every second of it (apart from the >40 mpg on the motorway).

Today I made a few trips, everything seems ok until I pulled over and noticed what seems to be white-ish smoke. I jumped out and noticed that it was coming from the exhaust. The engine temperature was just under the half way mark. I left it for a couple of minutes and the smoke all cleared up. I'm very worried now that it may be the head gasket problem. :(

When I bought it the service book stated that it was last serviced 02/11/12, but the stamp was missing. I pointed it out to the seller and he said that the garage forgot to stamp it but that we could go there and they would stamp it immediately. We drove down to the garage, he pointed to the service book and his mechanic friend, that was on the phone, stamped it.

I was thinking of taking it to lexus for a service as I'm not sure the car was really cared for to the extent the seller claimed.

Will a Lexus service pick up on any problems it may have and identify the head gasket as faulty(if this is the problem)?

Roughly how much does a Lexus service cost?

Any advice is greatly appriceiated.

Thanks,

If you are really concerned you do have the right to take it back and get a full refund under the terms of trading standards regulations. If the vehicle is sub standard and not fit for purpose you can legitimately take it back. Please check the detail... think I'm right insaying you have 4 weeks grace. Seek advice on this from Citizens Advice centres.

Does it have a Full Lexus Service History apart from the one at the dealer where you bought it? What year is it and how many miles on the clock?

Take a look at the water reservoir....any oil in droplets in there? Does it smell like exhaust fumes in there?

Take a look under the oil filler cap any grey/white sludge under there?

Most good garages can do a sniffer test. The take a sample from your engine coolant reservoir and if it turns yellow/green you have a head gasket failure because this has detected hydrocarbons in your coolant. Think blue men's all is fine.

Just another option if you are unsure what you are looking at.

Carl