Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is250 Km Or Miles On Odometer?

Hi,

My first post here!

I have a IS from US and som trouble with the odometer. I cannot tell if its miles or km..

I do have L/km in the upper display? I tested a 400 meter with the trip meter and got 0.4

directly after the exit. So, does this mean its actually counting km?

The sales man said it has 25000km on its wheels, but if this is miles the car is much more

used than he said. Aprox 40000km...

Please help.

Thank you!

So you mean, if the upper display i re-programed to display l/km the lower(odometer) also has automatically

been changed to km? I mean vice versa. Then, the 0.4km is correct for the 400 meters i drove.

If this is correct i'm a very happy man :)

What is the display on the Speedometer? If it's miles then the odometer is miles.

Do you have a sat nav? Bring it with you on your next test drive and clock it on the odometer and the sat nav and compare.

If you measured 0.4 on a 400m journey then it has to be kilometers.

• 11 years later...

The Speedometer and fuel consumption can be set to show miles/MPG or km/L/100km regardless where car is from, but ODO will always show miles or Km based on where the car is from. So if the car is from US/UK it will be miles on ODO, no matter what Speedometer is showing. If car is from "metric" country ODO will always be in Km.

15 hours ago, Linas.P said:

The Speedometer and fuel consumption can be set to show miles/MPG or km/L/100km regardless where car is from, but ODO will always show miles or Km based on where the car is from. So if the car is from US/UK it will be miles on ODO, no matter what Speedometer is showing. If car is from "metric" country ODO will always be in Km.

Unless it's from Canada as people might think the car is from North America and assume it's in miles. Canada uses kilometres. If it's right hand drive, then UK is the only RHD country with miles as far as I know. Asia, Japan, New Zealand, Oz, they all use kilometres and drive RHD car. It should be simple to find out, no?

Reset the trip, put google maps on. Drive somewhere, and if it google says your destination is 1mile away, your trip would say 1.6 (KM) and vice versa.

You will only run into a problem if your speedo was converted as it's a common thing to do on Jap imports in the UK. JDM cars will come to the UK with KMH speedo & odo. Let's say you import a Skyline that reads 80,000km on the odo, get it converted and from that point it will be reading miles so a lot of JDM imports that have been in the UK for a while have a mixture of KM & Miles on the odo so kinda inaccurate. If you convert it and put 10,000 miles on the car, the odo will show 90,000 but that's obviously 80,000km (~50,000 miles) + actual 10,000 miles so essentially it's a 60,000 mile car but odo will show 90,000 as it's a mixture. It's annoying and I'm not sure why they don't wind the odo back to 50,000 when they convert the speedo into miles but it's not easy to do this legally for some reason I don't think. 

I had this on my Australian imported Subaru Forester. Car was reading in kilometres for the first part of its life. Then it came to the UK and the speedo was converted to miles, but ODO was mixed from that point forward. It was on 101,000 but I couldn't tell how much of that was actually Kilometres. I just knew that whatever distance I covered was registered in miles.. I don't think I would bother doing this with a JDM imported IS350 for example as our cars have both mph & kph on the speedo. So I'd keep it original and the odo would register kilometres to avoid confusion but obviously not every car has it like this. The forester's cluster (speedo) was showing only KM so the speedo shows 220 (as it's meant to be KPH) but would hardly get past 110  as it was reading miles at that point. Quite depressing as you'd never get past half of the speedo range🤣 I hope it's clear

IMG_7784.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links