Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Modified, or standard...  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Modified, or standard?

• Modified.
    • Standard.

I was just wondering if any of you have modified your LS400, what have you done, and how did it turn out?

Just a general interest topic, but I am thinking about doing a few things to my LS400. I am going to replace the viscous fan with an electric one, and I am going to put in a double din DVD head unit (or Car PC). And maybe in the future, some alloy wheels...

Brian :)

I have replaced the original head unit and boot CD changer for a single DIN JVC CD/Radio using the original speakers and fitting a separate sub amp where the old changer was located ( only did this because the effects system in the amp failed)

HID hi/low kit

Smoked indicator lenses.

Tinted rear clusters.

LED sidelights,puddle lights and number plate lights.

New Mitsubishi EVO 9 wheels.

Clear headlight protection covers.

Eaton M90 Supercharger system.

OK I made the last one up!!!!!

Today my 15 year old, 225k mile LS passed the MOT with no advisories. I was looking to buy a newer MkIV but found nothing that drives as well as mine, or has such an unblemished exterior and interior. So some of the money I've saved by not getting a newer car I will spend on mine. Maybe some deeper dished wheels, the front bumper repaired (hit something in the road a week after purchase!)and lowering the supension 25mm or 40mm.

Modify is the way to go, but subtle......

post-29913-0-85156500-1295040470.jpg

Modified is a must but with my Lexus the mods will be subtle, I have already replaced the stereo with an aftermarket single din Sony stereo, have been to my local tyre / wheel dealer and chosen a set of wheels similar to the LS430, future mods are clear indicators but only after ive replaced the rear shocks and changed the bushes on the rear strut arms :yawn:

Like the picture, subtle VIP styling, smooth, low, big rims, quality. Not so much of it over in England though. Done right very expensive..

I voted standard as my car is but I have upgraded to hid lights and will be fitting mk4 alloys after I purchase them off manic mark next week. So I suppose I have modified but very mildly lol.

Steve

P.s. What are puddle lights ??? Please not boy racer under car neons !!! Lol

Modified but very, very, very subtle please. The original model is just so beautiful.

Where is your piccy taken Whysub ? Your car looks amazing !

Malc

Not my car Malc-"borrowed" the photo from clublexus.com

Everything I do here to mine will have to be subtle-there is little choice in suspension changes UNLESS stuff is imported from Japan or USA, although looking for other options. I think lowering the car, even a little, makes the car look nicer, but to each his own. Wheels are easier to find with more choice, but finding something that looks right is making the choice hard (I have DHP wheels on at moment which I like). I can get so much for my VW T4 van (huge choice of suspension, wheels, interior and exterior)-which I have made subtle changes on to make it a bit more individual.

Looks like everyone in the US modifies their LS at some point. I hate the way they seem to all stretch tyres by fitting undersized ones.

And puddle lights? they are the lights in the bottom of the doors that illuminate the puddles (and seemingly more often, dog poo!) when you open the doors in the dark.

I definately want to put in a DVD player/Car PC, and would like to put some nice alloys. Its just a case of saving up at the moment. Does anyone know a good Alloy wheel site that has a wheel chooser thingy? (You know what I mean... Where you select your car and colour, and you cycle through the wheels to see which set looks best..)

I definately want to put in a DVD player/Car PC, and would like to put some nice alloys. Its just a case of saving up at the moment. Does anyone know a good Alloy wheel site that has a wheel chooser thingy? (You know what I mean... Where you select your car and colour, and you cycle through the wheels to see which set looks best..)

http://www.fujicorporation.com/eng/sim/index.html?sim_init%3D

Being a Japanese site, you'll need to choose a Toyota Celsior UCF20, as they only list the LS460/600 under Lexus.

Should give you a good enough idea though.

I little bit modify my lexus ls400

- 20" wheels, 235/35/20 , winter mazda rx8 wheels with 235/40/18 with spikes

- adjust the airbags, 80mm down

- all windows tinted black+ lights, hid Xenon

- body painted with toy 207, midnight black

- kenwood 2"din dvd 7" screen and back 7" screen+ navigation system. amp is 5 channel ground zero

- exhaust with out back mufflers, kn airfilter.

It is not so easy to find lexus parts in finland, i would like to have oem backlights and in front clear sidelamps

Modified for me :) clear front indicators and repeaters and LS430 18"s at the moment plus my coilovers are hopefully going on this weekend along with a completely rebushed front end and new balljoints.

Later mods will include stereo, speakers and amp and maybe another change of wheels and hopefully LED rear lights ;)

I cant help it, I just have to change things........... :tomato:

Andy

Modified for me :) clear front indicators and repeaters and LS430 18"s at the moment plus my coilovers are hopefully going on this weekend along with a completely rebushed front end and new balljoints.

Later mods will include stereo, speakers and amp and maybe another change of wheels and hopefully LED rear lights ;)

Andy

Just wondering, where you people find lights for lexus ls400? Here in finland nothing in speed shops. I would like to buy new lights for my lexus; but from where to buy? Visit finish lexus websites and you see what the problem is, there is no one. if you but google lexus lights, there comes lights for all cars, but not for lexus.......DAMNN.. :tsktsk:

Andy

Just wondering, where you people find lights for lexus ls400? Here in finland nothing in speed shops. I would like to buy new lights for my lexus; but from where to buy? Visit finish lexus websites and you see what the problem is, there is no one. if you but google lexus lights, there comes lights for all cars, but not for lexus.......DAMNN.. :tsktsk:

If you want clear light, the front indicators are avaiable on US eBay, and cost around GB£40 delivered. Friendly sellers usually put a low value on the Customs form so you don't have to pay import fees. Depending on what Mk of LS400 you have, the Mk3/4 (95-00) uses the same side repeaters as the Mk1 MR2, and you can get clear side repeaters from UK eBay. My red/clear rear lamps popped up on eBay UK just before Christmas, but I've never seen them on there before. You can get them through US eBay though, same as the front indicators.

i but my ls 400 camrys clear side blinker lights. and i spray with clear coat has 20% transparet black..... :tomato:

When i but my winter tires i had little bit different problem. rx8 wheels go in the back, but not in front. they hit brakes, so we make spacers, 35 mm thig and they have new bolts. i can but picture if someone is interested.. yes about lights i would like to have in front clear blinkers :crybaby: sorry about my english....

I bought some alloys for mine from yahoo auctions....only a minor problem....25092010202.jpg

Too damn wide!

Bah, that's nothing!

Lowering, some rear camber adjustment, stretched tyres, and a rolled arch lip will see those wide boys fit!

i but my ls 400 camrys clear side blinker lights. and i spray with clear coat has 20% transparet black..... :tomato:

When i but my winter tires i had little bit different problem. rx8 wheels go in the back, but not in front. they hit brakes, so we make spacers, 35 mm thig and they have new bolts. i can but picture if someone is interested.. yes about lights i would like to have in front clear blinkers :crybaby: sorry about my english....

britrb's first link above takes you to eBay auctions that sell both the Mk1/2 and Mk3 style clear front indicators. Looks like the seller are quite happy to post worldwide, so there is your best place to buy them.

I bought some alloys for mine from yahoo auctions....only a minor problem....25092010202.jpg

Too damn wide!

Bah, that's nothing!

Lowering, some rear camber adjustment, stretched tyres, and a rolled arch lip will see those wide boys fit!

I know,but have an Aristo TT on it's way over from japland to me so that's where they'll go! Either way though I have a bit of work to do to fit them on!

Now this IS modified (not mine)...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VIP-STYLE-LEXUS-LS400-LOWRIDER-/220728214898?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item33646d4572

I'm glad he repainted the wheels. They were black and really didn't look right.

I had a cheeky bid on it the last time it was on eBay, but didn't have the funds!

• 2 weeks later...

mk3 here...

-changed the front indicator lamps to clear (and added 2 bulbs per side)

-clear side repeators

-Pioneer double din headunit (with ipod control, Bluetooth - connects to my phone as soon as i enter the car)

-Window control switch - modified the drivers switch internals to allow for "auto-up" as well as the standard auto-down :D

-EBC redstuff brake pads

-not sure if the alloys are standard? Ive never seen a mk3 with them, they look like mk4 wheels, but they have flatter center caps, unlike the mk4 which seem recessed

DSC01890Large.jpg