Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Camber For The Rear Wheel

GXE10

hi, my is200 is really low at the back....... and resulting a negative camber, can someone tell me is there anyway to adjust the rear camber? is there any kit out there can do that?

i can only find front camber kit for is200

hi, my is200 is really low at the back....... and resulting a negative camber, can someone tell me is there anyway to adjust the rear camber? is there any kit out there can do that?

no need for a new camber kit...just go get an alignment and ask for the cambers to be adjusted... they will figure out how much to adjust.

GXE10 Posted on Jun 24 2003, 12:16 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How LOW have you dropped the car, and is just with springs or are you using coilovers?

AndyHart was running really low on his IS.. probably around 50 to 60mm i think using coilovers.. :winky:

Got any pics by the way? :blink:

i am using ti2000 springs and tokico shocks not coil cover

i think its around 40mm lower, just that i see the camber is much more negative than b4

so can the wheel alignment ppl adjust camber without a camber kit?

since the lowering of your car have had the wheel alignment done or not?

if not then you should get it done, (usually 2 weeks after instaling the springs, as it takes time for them to settle down properly), that should sort out the camber problem, as they know how much to adjust..

How easy is it to get a Lexus garage to lower the suspension on an IS200 SE (52), and how much should it cost?

I pick up my 9-month-old Lexus on Thursday (16:30!!).

Lowering the suspension increases 'traction' on the road yes, and reduces the possibility of slipping? I need some evidence of increased safety so the wife will let me spend the cash!

How easy is it to get a Lexus garage to lower the suspension on an IS200 SE (52), and how much should it cost?

I pick up my 9-month-old Lexus on Thursday (16:30!!).

Lowering the suspension increases 'traction' on the road yes, and reduces the possibility of slipping? I need some evidence of increased safety so the wife will let me spend the cash!

Hi - and welcome to the club! :D

Some dealers will install aftermarket lowering springs, where as others won't. Each to their own. I had mine done by a local garage I often use and they charged me £50. Dealers will probably charge two hours labour plus VAT for the privalidge, plus the cost of the springs.

Hope this helps...

BTW - If you were to join Gold, not only would you save on the labour to fit your springs, you would also save on future servicing, parts and of course be applicable to join in on group buys such as the current one on Eibach Lowering springs....

Just a thought......... :)

i am using ti2000 springs and tokico shocks not coil cover

i think its around 40mm lower, just that i see the camber is much more negative than b4

so can the wheel alignment ppl adjust camber without a camber kit?

Yes, go to a decent wheel alignment place. They'll Know how to adjust it(without a camber kit)

I had mine done by laser......£50

Cheers for the hints guys... and "Duncan", I sent you a PM. I live in NE England so you're likely to be the best person to ask for local advice.

Also, nobody has really answered the question... "Lowering the suspension increases 'traction' on the road yes, and reduces the possibility of slipping?"

I need to convince the wife that lowered suspension is not just because it looks good, but serves a safety purpose too (and justify the £50!).

I need to convince the wife that lowered suspension is not just because it looks good, but serves a safety purpose too (and justify the £50!).

I've PM'd you back buddy.

What are you, a MAN or a MOUSE ??????? :lol::lol: (Get 'er told)

Cheers for the hints guys... and "Duncan", I sent you a PM. I live in NE England so you're likely to be the best person to ask for local advice.

Also, nobody has really answered the question... "Lowering the suspension increases 'traction' on the road yes, and reduces the possibility of slipping?"

Lowering the car does not increase the traction. It will lower your center of gravity which will help you through turns better but the increase in traction is not there. With any car u buy, if the alignment is perfect and tyres have full tread, you are basically getting all the tracking you can get. When you lower the car, you make the camber to slant, making it negative (so it sits like this = / \ instead of this=l l ) Therefor your tyres are not touching the ground 100% and you are lossing traction and wearing your tyres even faster. This is why if u lower the car, you will need to get an alignment about 2weeks after to regain your complete traction.

To end my little post on traction...if u want better traction think about getting Z-rated or R compound tyres and a LSD system (not sure if the is200 in the uk come with them).

do you concur with my whole post Mat?

Erm.... tell the wife:

1) It will lower the centre of gravity, hence making the car safer on corners

2) It will look better

3) She'd never notice anyway

4) The car will be more stable around high-speed corners..

1) It will lower the centre of gravity, hence making the car safer on corners

2) It will look better

3) She'd never notice anyway

4) The car will be more stable around high-speed corners..

Thanks... this is the evidence I need. Also giving the wife a good slapping will help smooth things along too! Cheers.

camber.....especially negative can give more traction,

imagine a set of wheels with neutral camber, as you corner at speed, the tyre rolls on the rim, forcing the outer tyre wall to roll under, and the iner tyre wall to lift.

now with a negative camber the outer wall will be rolled into the turn, or in other words rolling the tyre flat to the tarmac surface.

a good example is look at the front wheels of a F1 car when static, look at any track car, Negative camber actually benifits high speed cornering, unfortunatly the trade of on a road car is higher tyre wear on the inside of the tyre.

:winky:

:geek:

Positve camber is only used for quick cornering.....and would be dangerous on a road car as it would make the change of direction far to un-predictable.

positive cambers are used on Ice racing cars

camber.....especially negative can give more traction,

imagine a set of wheels with neutral camber, as you corner at speed, the tyre rolls on the rim, forcing the outer tyre wall to roll under, and the iner tyre wall to lift.

now with a negative camber the outer wall will be rolled into the turn, or in other words rolling the tyre flat to the tarmac surface.

a good example is look at the front wheels of a F1 car when static, look at any track car, Negative camber actually benifits high speed cornering, unfortunatly the trade of on a road car is higher tyre wear on the inside of the tyre.

:winky:

:geek:

Positve camber is only used for quick cornering.....and would be dangerous on a road car as it would make the change of direction far to un-predictable.

positive cambers are used on Ice racing cars

i dont agree with this concept of more traction from negative cambers. I see who it will help you through the turns but you are not using all of the tire. Look at it this way, why do drivers opt for wider tires (example=like 255 in stead of 215) so they have better grip on the course for better traction by having more tyre/tread to work with.

a car with neutral camber as u corner at speed do not always roll under like u are saying. If the tyre pressure is at the best, there should be little to no tyre roll.

advance.......i assure you that a negitive camber will give more traction through corners compared to a car sitting with neutral camber

having participated in many saloon car races and set up my own suspension and wheel geometry i think i might know a tinsey weeny bit about cornering and wheel set ups

obviously a wider tyre wiull give more traction , if you actually read my previous post you would have seen 2 blatant examples of negative cambers used for traction

and tyres do roll on a rim.......whatch race cars corner

So.. am I right in assuming the best set-up for a RWD racing car would be negative camber on the front wheels, and neutral on the rears? Or does having negative camber on the rear wheels improve cornering too??

hi Mat,

i thought in earlier post u mentioned that '... a negitive camber will give more traction through corners compared to a car sitting with neutral camber'.

but in the last post u noted that ' no negative camber on the rear wheels improves grip/traction whatever you wanna call it.....'

so which setup gives more traction ? *confused*