Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a is220D 2007 with 106k on the clock. Last service at 96k.

Just put it in for service with what sounded like a pin hole in the exhaust. Even the front counter person thought that was what it was too. Imagine my annoyance/dismay when they phoned and told me the Head Gasket was blown. At first it was my expense. I kicked up politely, pointing out they have done six services at Lexus through its life thus far. At 106k it is 'nicely run in' in my book!

Now I get a call three days later saying Lexus are covering the cost of repair. Happy bunny at the moment. But I am keeping a log of all conversations and events as they unfold.

There do seem to be some issues with this engine, which at first were denied by Lexus staff. However when I divulged various facts I have read here, they seemed to open up a bit.

Sorry, I missed an important fact.

Lexus UK have apparently extended the warranty to circa 110k for this engine problem. There must be a lot of Head Gasket issues out there. Fair play to them if they are responding in the correct manner. People do need to be made aware of this though, its damned important.

• 1 month later...

Have got my car back now, after quite a wait, which I must say I was warned of.

Engine removed, head off, gasket out. Head twisted, so new one fitted with new gasket. New EGR valve and 5th injector and quite a few other parts replaced too. All of this work covered by the extended warranty offered by Lexus (mentioned earlier).

First decent run this weekend doing 260 miles. All went well, car feeling good again. Drove at various styles to see how the engine responded. All was good and despite the periodic heavy throttle use I was getting 44mpg.

Personally, I have nothing but praise for the way Lexus have resolved this problem. Well done Lexus..... for listening and responding in the right way.

The Dashboard 'crack sound' was sorted too.

does this extended warranty cover all lexus owners, and if so, what is the criteria?

The Lexus Extended Warranty is purchased from Lexus to cover you for electrical and mechanical failures etc. It isnt cheap mind, I paid £1200 for 2 years cover which includes full AA cover for the period but I have to say it's been worth it. Both headlight units replaced and water pump due to a leak - would have cost me over £2K!

Back to this point tho, there are some "extended" warranty parts covered by Lexus in response to a lot of failures. When I was last in Lexus they were suggesting the EGR valve was about to get an extended warranty up to 100,000 miles and as the note says previously, I believe they have extended cover for the head gasket / engine rebuild but dont hold me to that! This is normally regardless of age if your within the mileage limitations.

does this extended warranty cover all lexus owners, and if so, what is the criteria?

The Lexus Extended Warranty is purchased from Lexus to cover you for electrical and mechanical failures etc. It isnt cheap mind, I paid £1200 for 2 years cover which includes full AA cover for the period but I have to say it's been worth it. Both headlight units replaced and water pump due to a leak - would have cost me over £2K!

Back to this point tho, there are some "extended" warranty parts covered by Lexus in response to a lot of failures. When I was last in Lexus they were suggesting the EGR valve was about to get an extended warranty up to 100,000 miles and as the note says previously, I believe they have extended cover for the head gasket / engine rebuild but dont hold me to that! This is normally regardless of age if your within the mileage limitations.

I should point out.

My repair was undertaken by Lexus as a result of them extending their own warranty on the diesel engines. This has come about due to the incidence of known faults I would surmise.

I was advised the Lexus warranty had been extended to 110,000 miles. Very fortunate as I was outside my std 3 yr warranty.

However, there have been a lot of issues with this particular engine, and Head Gasket specifically.

For my part I can only commend Lexus for their attention to customer care.

If I was you I would enquire at your local Lexus dealer to find out what has been done to your engine through its logged history at Lexus. Assuming you don't have this knowledge.

£1200, I'll stick to Warranty Direct I think :-)

I have taken out an extended warranty from Lexus and have last week had my car in for a head gasket problem, again I have nothing but praise for Lexus Poole for the way they have got on to the repair, the Lexus warranty is worth its weight in gold.

I have taken out an extended warranty from Lexus and have last week had my car in for a head gasket problem, again I have nothing but praise for Lexus Poole for the way they have got on to the repair, the Lexus warranty is worth its weight in gold.

Thats interesting. I too am using Lexus Poole, as I live in Wimborne. Nothing but praise for the Poole operation.

New engine, built in a new factory in a new territory, Poland, and then we are suprised when there are issues? Must admit, Lexus changed mine with no qualms. If only they had the same attitude towards the gearchange/clutch/DMF problems because my engine ran fine even when the gasket had gone, although I didn't check the coolant level as I'd only just purchased it from the unscrupulous Notts Toyota Main Dealer.

I looked at these - they do seem to have good reviews. The price wasnt that much difference per year when I had added all the extras on to warranty direct so decided to go with Lexus - at £600 a year and so far no quibles. Had a drip appear on the pipe of the water pump, whole water pump replaced including fluids etc, flickering headlight 2 x complete headlight units replaced. There was no delay, it was just done completely FOC and valeted.

I looked at these - they do seem to have good reviews. The price wasnt that much difference per year when I had added all the extras on to warranty direct so decided to go with Lexus - at £600 a year and so far no quibles. Had a drip appear on the pipe of the water pump, whole water pump replaced including fluids etc, flickering headlight 2 x complete headlight units replaced. There was no delay, it was just done completely FOC and valeted.

Lexus currently charge £760 (12 months) or £1335 (24 months)for the extended warranty on the IS. If I remember rightly, Warranty Direct was around £500 for the same level of cover. You also have the option of a Lexus garage to carry out any work, for a few quid more. I also dont need the breakdown cover, as I get this as a perk, through my company.

Lexus currently charge £760 (12 months) or £1335 (24 months)for the extended warranty on the IS. If I remember rightly, Warranty Direct was around £500 for the same level of cover. You also have the option of a Lexus garage to carry out any work, for a few quid more. I also dont need the breakdown cover, as I get this as a perk, through my company.

Off OP's topic I know - I got Lexus to honour the previous yr's costs for warranty because they handed out an old leaflet! TBH, I cant compare against Warranty Direct, I just know Lexus was no quibble, no questions asked on all repairs. A flickering lightbulb and they did £1200 quids worth of work on the ballasts. Like I say, I have read good reviews on WD and a lot of people recommend but I just felt I had more bargaining power dealing directly with Lexus (yup it will be underwritten). All the above was made thanks to reviews on this forum - I almost didnt take a warranty out - pheeew.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Normski2

could you post the location of the lexus dealership that you went to.

I too have a 07 is220d with 67k on the clock and the head gasket is gone, i need to see if i can get it covered under waranty.

you seem to be well impressed with the guys you went to so i wouldnt mind taking mine to the same place.

Padraic

Hi Normski2

could you post the location of the lexus dealership that you went to.

I too have a 07 is220d with 67k on the clock and the head gasket is gone, i need to see if i can get it covered under waranty.

you seem to be well impressed with the guys you went to so i wouldnt mind taking mine to the same place.

Padraic

Hi Padraic,

My car was repaired at Lexus, Poole in Dorset. That in itself probably won't help you much as you appear to be in Ireland.

However. All is not lost.

My understanding of the deal from Lexus is this:- They have acknowledged there are issues with this engine type and have extended the warranty coverage of this Head Gasket issue to 7yrs or 110,000 miles. You would fall into this category to have the repair sorted by Lexus.

I suggest you get along to your nearest Lexus garage and tell them what has happened to your motor and request that the repair is carried out under the terms of this warranty extension. I do not think you will have any problems. Stay calm and polite and make them aware you know of the issues regarding this engine.

Best of good fortune, and keep us posted.

Yipee. Bringing the car to Belfast, they will cover it under warranty once it

has lexus service history or other garrage stamp once they used genuine lexus parts.

They have four other cars in with the same issue so looks like i'll be without a car for 3 weeks.

Ah well it will give me some time to try out an Audi A5 3.0 tdi before i purchase one.

thanks for the help, saved myself at least 2,500k by looking on the forum.

has lexus service history or other garrage stamp once they used genuine lexus parts.

They have four other cars in with the same issue so looks like i'll be without a car for 3 weeks.

Ah well it will give me some time to try out an Audi A5 3.0 tdi before i purchase one.

Thats good to hear Padraic. Probably closer to £4500 in reality. Its quite likely the Head will need changing. You can virtually guarantee it will have twisted.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats good to hear Padraic. Probably closer to £4500 in reality. Its quite likely the Head will need changing. You can virtually guarantee it will have twisted.

Padraic,

I have the same problem and left the car into Belfast on Thursday 10th March. I still haven't heard anything from them. Have you even had a phone call as yet?

Oisin

May I ask what is the symptom for blown gasket ?

1. Lift bonnet and take a good look at the coolant expansion tank. You DO NOT want to see any oily residue mixed in with the water coolant. You want to see just pinky coloured liquid.

2. Take the oil filler cap off and take a look inside. Oil residue should be oil ONLY. If you see a residue that resembles mayonnaise in there be very concerned. Take look underneath the cap you have just removed too!!

These are two very sure indicators of a blown Head Gasket.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links