Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hey everyone currently I have an IS200SE which I bought for like £8000 back in '06 and it has served me very well. It's reliable, well built, rear wheel drive, good looking (in my opinion) and fast enough to be fun.

Anyway as much as I love my current car and I really do love it. My thoughts have been turning to what car to buy next now I've always loved the look of the new shape IS (SE or SE-I) and so long as I buy a petrol one I'm sure it will deliver much the same as my current car except possible at the cost of some steering feel. But with the addition of all the modern updates, spec wise I believe the 2.5 engine produces 200BHP and is about 8 secs or there abouts to 60. So again similar to what I have, however a big plus will be the extra 5 or so mile per gallon.

At this point I should point I should outline that I'm looking to buy in the next year or two. The budget will be approximately 10000-13000. So by then both of these cars could be in budget I've seen examples of IS250's from as little as £8999 nationally.

I also really like the looks of the Audi A5 it's subtle and sporty, I love the style of it. I have to say I had never really considered and Audi before but this car with this engine seems to make a lot of sense (currently seen good examples for approx £14500). Sadly with petrol prices as they are I can only really consider the 1.8 TFSI model. There are a bunch of pros and cons for me with this car and I shall list them here. Pros: Styling, modern spec, great economy at around 38 mpg. Cons: Front wheel drive, reported lack of steering feel, rear leg room (but I only have a small child and I could easily give this up for the looks of the car), the loss of the two cylinders when compared to the IS. Performance of the A5 is again not a leap forward from what I currently have and is comparable to the IS. I believe the A5 specs are 160ish BHP and 0-60 in 8.5.

Anyway I'm wondering what would you buy, I really want to hear from someone who has driven or has an A5 because whilst I know plenty about the IS250 I know relatively little about the A5. A few questions I have about the A5 would be does the 1.8TFSI have a thirst for oil at all? The reason I ask this is because reading about the larger engine models I have heard they can have an inconsistent thirst for oil. Does the 1.8 avoid this issue? Are the slightly offset pedals easy to get used to? What kind of MPG did the driver get out of the car. Plus a general overall opinion of the car.

I'm about to find a good Audi forum to gen up on the A5 a little more but any input here from people who know either car would be great.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Yeah, as you say, log onto an Audi forum and get the pros and cons of the A5.

I'm also looking into chopping in my 10 year old IS200 now. I'm considering going for either a BMW 530d/535d M sport or the 330d/335d M sport (saloon). Have you consider either of these?

As a single bloke with no wife or kids, I perfer the look of a saloon to a coupe.

Yeah, as you say, log onto an Audi forum and get the pros and cons of the A5.

I'm also looking into chopping in my 10 year old IS200 now. I'm considering going for either a BMW 530d/535d M sport or the 330d/335d M sport (saloon). Have you consider either of these?

As a single bloke with no wife or kids, I perfer the look of a saloon to a coupe.

To be honest the current crop of BMW's just don't do it for me aesthetically for some reason, I have looked through the equivalent costing BMW's and the interior just isn't on a par with either the IS or the A5. I realise of course that in terms of out right driving enjoyment then there is no better option than the BMW in this area but I just want something a bit different that pushes my buttons when it comes to what it looks like. Like I say the only real reason I like the A5 so much is simply because of how it looks, vain I know but for me what the car looks like is pretty important.

I won't rule a BMW out entirely and will test drive one nearer the time but at this point it is my least considered option.

There is even a part of me that is considering just finding the lowest mileage best example of an IS200 I can, I know a lot about this car and what to expect and look for and the hunt could be fun as well as cheaper.

But the point of going newer of course was to get a better return on fuel and a whole host of more modern standard options.

I have a Z4 BMW currently and the BMW forums are filled with so many problems and potential problems with BMWs that you are premanently waiting for something to go wrong

Lexus forums apart from the 220D issues do not have the same doom and gloom associated with the marque

Indeed the modern BMs seem to be built to budget rather than built for longevity

Martin

I have a Z4 BMW currently and the BMW forums are filled with so many problems and potential problems with BMWs that you are premanently waiting for something to go wrong

Lexus forums apart from the 220D issues do not have the same doom and gloom associated with the marque

Indeed the modern BMs seem to be built to budget rather than built for longevity

Martin

That's a pretty honest view you have there, like you say forums are nearly always going to give the darker side of things as it's in their nature but it's not good if there is an overwhelming amount of problems.

Hi,Just thought i would add my few pennies worth.

I have had the IS200 years ago and have to say i loved it.

About 6 months ago a got rid of a A5 (2.0T Sline) company car and bought a GS300, hence back onto LOC forums.

Well the A5 is certainly a very beautiful car to look at, but the reality of it was, it was very small inside (rear) and getting 2 small kis in and out was difficult. The ride on mine was not great. It used to tram line a lot. I changed the 2 front tyres for a different make and it did make a big difference though. Fuel consumption on the 2.0T was around 38MPG with combined driving.

It did always make me smile in the morning due to its looks, but if i was spending my own money i honestly don't think i would get another. My 2001 A4 had a much better ride. Having jumped back into a Lexus, i can say I could not be happier. I would stick with Lexus myself, but maybe take an A5 for a test drive. Don't let he twinkly lights fool you (although other cars did get out of the way quite quickly with them on)

PG

By the way my wifes car is a 2003 RX300

The lexus build quality is twice that of BMW

Can't comment on Audi

What does a german cowboy say when he goes into a bar

Audi all

A bit off topic i know, but i was at bluewater today, and they had the CT200 on show, a pre production model.

I had to have a sit inside, and it was realy nice, with a chunky steering wheel and low slung driving position, perfect, but it was a bit bland in some strange way. For me the IS250 is perfect and must be one of the best looking cars around in its class, the german ones are too bland, and i do not miss my E90 BMW one bit.

The only thing BMW is better at than the rest, is, as we all know, handling, and you cant drive hard enough all the time to exploit that, for a refined drive it still has to be the IS for me, taking into account all the toys that it comes with.

Hi,Just thought i would add my few pennies worth.

I have had the IS200 years ago and have to say i loved it.

About 6 months ago a got rid of a A5 (2.0T Sline) company car and bought a GS300, hence back onto LOC forums.

Well the A5 is certainly a very beautiful car to look at, but the reality of it was, it was very small inside (rear) and getting 2 small kis in and out was difficult. The ride on mine was not great. It used to tram line a lot. I changed the 2 front tyres for a different make and it did make a big difference though. Fuel consumption on the 2.0T was around 38MPG with combined driving.

It did always make me smile in the morning due to its looks, but if i was spending my own money i honestly don't think i would get another. My 2001 A4 had a much better ride. Having jumped back into a Lexus, i can say I could not be happier. I would stick with Lexus myself, but maybe take an A5 for a test drive. Don't let he twinkly lights fool you (although other cars did get out of the way quite quickly with them on)

PG

Apparently the ride issues with the A5 come when the suspension is of the sport variety, which it would have been on the Sline model. On standard suspension according to reviews the rid is restored to being relatively refined provided you don't go for 19" alloys.

Thanks for you input though my thoughts are focusing on the IS and the A5 still, how do people find the MPG with and IS250?

Go to a Lexus Centre and test drive a 250 Auto for a day. It must be a day as the more time you spend in the car the more convinced you will become, before I bought I had a few test drives. The first time I drove one I went out with the salesman for thirty minutes and thought it was fine, he said I should have one for a day saying I needed to spend time with the car to fully appreciate it, I thought it was salesman crap but he was right. They dropped it off at my home at 8 am and collected it at 6 pm.

Every time I drive mine I love it, it's like nothing I've ever owned, borrowed or test driven. Nothing has come close to matching the overall experience. It has an air of refinement other don't have.

In January I have done many short journeys, five to ten miles, nothing further, the car has hardly warmed up and has averaged 26mpg brim to brim. Overall normal running it does 36ish and on a long run up to 40.

........ There are a bunch of pros and cons for me with this car and I shall list them here. Pros: Styling, modern spec, great economy at around 38 mpg. Cons: Front wheel drive, reported lack of steering feel, rear leg room (but I only have a small child and I could easily give this up for the looks of the car), the loss of ..........

I don't know many people willing to give up a small child so they can have a car that looks nice, (thats how it reads lol)

on a serious note tho, the customer satisfaction surveys (i think) rate the Audi A5 near the bottom, I don't know how specific the surveys are within each model tho

I have recently changed from an A5 to an is250. The Lexus in my opinion is a superior vehicle. Don't get me wrong the Audi is beautifully built but the ride is far too hard, or maybe I'm just getting old. Also the spec you get for your money in the IS 250 is fantastic and I love the smooth v6 engine. Having a proper back seat is a real bonus for me as well. If you can put up with mid 20's mpg I would say go for the Lexus. But which ever you choose you will have a lovely car.

Modern Audis. Take the range, A3, A4, A6, A7 maybe even the A8. Stand at the front with them all lined up, try to guess which one is which.

Another note, the most cars I see on the motorway lay-by seem to be Audis. My friends A6 dropped a valve. Take a look at this forum, try to find a Lexus which has had a blown engine, gearbox etc. Sure there are some electrical things but these seem to be resolve simply enough.

Don't follow the crowd, show you are a man of individuality and buy a Lexus and don't worry about it letting you down and enjoy the ownership both with the car and dealer, or buy an Audi.

Sit inside the two and it is the Audi all the way. The interior is miles ahead of the cheaply built IS.......... BUT to get the spec of a decent IS it will cost a fortune and the IS250 auto in particular has a beautifully smooth and cosseting driveline. The thing that I can't stand with the FWD Audis is the tugging at the steering - I always feel that FWD gives any car a feeling of cheapness. Not really an issue if you are sat on a motorway all day but around town and in the twisties it really shows.

The 1.8TFSI feels a lot quicker than the IS because of the mid-range shove of the turbo (it highlights the torque steer though) but if you rev the IS there's probably not much in it. The steering of the IS is VERY sharp and direct but with almost no feel whatsoever - I'm getting used to it but it has taken a while.

I was looking at the usual BMW 3, Merc C and IS250. There's no doubt in my mind that the Lexus is third best of the three but in terms of value for money it beats the others by miles - IF the 250 is the right engine choice for you. Otherwise go for something else.

I'm pretty happy that I made the right decision for me but once past the initial novelty of all the toys, the build quality has been a major disapointment.

That's a pretty decent analysis from Simon and I think I pretty much agree with it.

I don't think I'd buy a front wheel drive car at all personally, I really like the V8 S5 but other than that I think my choice would be the C-Class (in sport guise).

I agree on the C-Class but prefer the look of the Elegance and the drive of the Sport. My final choice came down to a C280 Elegance or the IS250 SEL with MM. Same age, slightly higher mileage on the Merc, same price. The seats in the Elegance are not particularly comfortable and it came with no extras - not even parking sensors. Trying to find a s/h six cylinder Merc with a decent spec was next to impossible and to spec one to my requirements would cost close to £50k. Too much for a second car used for the school run! Finding a top spec 250 is easy.

The design and materials used in the dash are pretty low rent and it all seems rather poorly screwed together. Everything flexes a bit when you push it - sometimes it creaks/cracks sometimes it doesn't but there is no feeling of solidity to the whole thing. I'm not saying it is a bad car, just that in terms of fit and finish it is closer to Toyota/Subaru than to the Germans. My Father-in-Laws's five year old Corolla doesn't creak like my 12k mile Lexus.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links