Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220 Hid Conversion Advice

Tomo1978

I am looking to upgrade my IS220 SE headlights to Xenon's. I have bought a set of Xenon gas filled bulbs which have made a bit of a difference but only bought these as a bit of a stand in until I could upgrade properly. I would prefer Lexus ones like fitted to the IS250 but can't find any & going to Lexus direct the cost a fortune & I may have to sell an organ to be able to buy them. So getting to the point I have looked into HID conversion kits & was wondering if anyone has experience with them & if they are worth the money & still legal as I know MOT rules have recently changed. I have found the following 2 websites that sell them.

http://www.convert2xenon.co.uk/lexus-xenon/160-lexus-is220-is250-2005-hid-xenon-lights-conversion-kit.html

http://www.hidkits.co.uk/H11-Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kits/

The thing I'm most worried about is buying crap for lots of money but also what type do I need, the standar or the CAN-Bus type? I would really appreciate any advice or experience anyone has on these kits.

What is wrong with the halogen lights? I am pretty happy with them. I gave up the idea of converting to genuine HID as it is very expensive and it doesn't worth it. There are few major problems with the Chinese HID conversion kits:

• The stated color temperature doesn't match - although it you buy 5000K bulbs they never match the actual color temperature and are always a bit bluish. If a light bulb happens to be defective and you have to replace it you will have to buy a pair of bulbs because if you replace only one you have to be very lucky to have the same color temp. There is a reason for Philips and Osram to be that expensive, right :)
  • It is very hard to reach the back of the headlights and change the light bulbs. It is a pain in the a**. If you've ever done that you know what I mean. And again we come to the point where the Chinese Xenon light bulbs are not very reliable and if you have to change a light bulb on the road you will be cursing the day you decided to convert to Chinese HID.
  • The light output of the HID systems is highly reduced when your headlights are dirty. You will have to install the headlight washing system which is not cheap at all. If you have halogen lights you won't have the openings in the front bumper for the nozzles so you will have to change your front bumper as well.

My advice is - keep the halogen, stay away from the Chinese HID. If you want to go for Xenon, save some money and buy second hand Xenon headlights with auto-leveling and AFS (around $300 each).

Cheers for the advice, I'm only toying with the idea of changing & you've said a few things I'd not thought of & I didn't realise you had to replace in pairs. I found the halogen blubs a bit crap with poor visability but the Xenon bulbs I have bought for £28 from Halfords did help massively & the light is white, not blue so I don't look like a little chav. I'm actually thinking that the headlight level may just need adjusting, the light projected seems a bit low so that might be all the problem is. I'll look into it. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Allow me to disagree with you. The factory halogen lights are way better than on any other car I've ever driven and trust me I've driven a lot of cars. You can tell the difference between OEM and aftermarket HIDs from distance especially with that bluish light they emit although they are advertised as 4300 or 5000K.

Allow me to disagree with you. The factory halogen lights are way better than on any other car I've ever driven and trust me I've driven a lot of cars. You can tell the difference between OEM and aftermarket HIDs from distance especially with that bluish light they emit although they are advertised as 4300 or 5000K.

Hopefully they're better in Continental europe then, as in the UK they are rubbish compared to the halogens on other cars. Must admit the IS250s are a lot better than the ones on the IS200, but they still aren't as good as the others, (mainly the germans is what I have experience with)

And if you get a quality 4300K aftermarket kit the colour should be right - in fact the OEM xenons on my brother's BMW are bluer than the 5000K aftermarkets I have on my IS200.

This pic is my HIDs, 5000K HID on the left, halogen on the right:

DSC_1581_2.JPG

DSC_1577.JPG

I thought we are talking about the 2nd gen IS which has a steering ECU, while the 1st gen doesn't and it is safe to install aftermarket Xenon. I don't know if you've opened a cheap Chinese HID ballast to see what's inside but by measuring the electronic emissions I can tell that they can easily fry the ECU in certain conditions. I don't know about the new slim ballasts which are "digital" but I never trusted the Chinese HIDs as their parameters vary in a very wide range.

I don't mean to start an argument, but this is what caused the failure of the steering ECU in the videos above.

I thought we are talking about the 2nd gen IS which has a steering ECU, while the 1st gen doesn't and it is safe to install aftermarket Xenon. I don't know if you've opened a cheap Chinese HID ballast to see what's inside but by measuring the electronic emissions I can tell that they can easily fry the ECU in certain conditions. I don't know about the new slim ballasts which are "digital" but I never trusted the Chinese HIDs as their parameters vary in a very wide range.

I don't mean to start an argument, but this is what caused the failure of the steering ECU in the videos above.

Fair point, sorry if it sounded like I was arguing but I wasn't :)

I think I missed the part where you were particularly talking about the chinese kits, yep I do agree about the cheapo Chinese kits - there are specific kits for cars with ECU controlled headlights that are more expensive, those are the ones you need for the IS250 I think.

Hi there,

I bought my IS220d two weeks ago, got HiD drving lights and HiD fog lights from a local experienced fitter who had fitted my window tints the day before. Very good service, excellent price and they make my baby look like a Blue Eyed Monster! The driving HiD's are 8000, whilst the foglights are only available in 10000, which I was worried about first as the fogs do not have the magnified bit thaty hte standard halogens have.

I am very happy and drive around with the fogs on as standard...driven past numerous police, alongside them and am actually waiting for them to pull me because of the foggies, where I will tell them "I thought they were driving lights"!...havn't been pulled once, very surprising!!

ps: How do add a profile picture?

Regards

post-37914-0-10562200-1298910929.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

My name is Rumen and this is my first post here.

I have owned a Lexus IS200 for 4 years and gotta say I loved it.No problems whatsoever,just yor usual wear & tear.I just recently (Last week)bought a 56reg IS220D SE-L. It has HIDs as standard. When looking at the headlights when they are on,they are white.However, they emit a yellowish light on the car/road in front. This really puts me off. Lol!

I was wondering if I wanted to change them to an aftermarket HID bulbs,can I just replace the bulbs or would I have to buy a whole new kit? It may be a noob question so im sorry! lol!

Thanks in advance!

PS: For my IS200, I did buy a HID kit and It never gave me any problems. It was 6000k, so it was WHITE with a hint of blue.......loved it!!

post-38134-0-46368100-1301608151.jpg

post-38134-0-67748600-1301608191.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi you'd better buy 6000K D4S bulbs only (Philips or Osram - take a look at this thread http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=72360). No need to change the whole kit as it will not worth it.

Thank you for the reply Denis. :D

Unfortunatly, I have already bought a pair off eBay last week. I did order 6000K ones but the seller had ran out of them. He did ask me if I wanted to wait for them or he could send me a pair of 8000Ks. Being the impatient fool I am I asked him to send them (8000K) instead. Now dont get me wrong, they look really nice & work perfectly, no errors, however, I hate to say this, but it seems that the OEM HIDs were giving out more power/light!. I may just order another set but of 6000K output as they are supposed to be brighter right? :unsure:

I have also changed my fog lights to a bit more whiter look from the ugly YELLOW OEM ones. Not gonna bother with HIDs on them. I hardly use my fogs......unlike my younger brother!! He annoys me! :D

Also changed the puddle lights to LED ones (5 SMD). Not that powerful but looks really nice......I can see where Im stepping! :winky:

I will try and post some pics if I can.

I am slowly going off topic so now i'll shut up! :D

Again Denis, Thanks for the reply bro.....

Hi Rumen,

The 6000K should give more light output (not really but it will look like it) than 8000K. Take a look at that chart -> http://gpix.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/colour-temperature1.gif

What puddle LEDs did you use? Have you checked that thread -> http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/522483-first-mod-led-puddle-lights-led-interior.html

Most OEM HID lamps are 4300K because that colour temperature gives the most usable light. B)

Lower than that goes more Yellow, higher goes a bit more White around 6000K then more Blue and more Purple. :yack:

Some people go more for colour than light output, hence the 8000K, 10000K and so on.

TG

:angry:

Hi Rumen,

The 6000K should give more light output (not really but it will look like it) than 8000K. Take a look at that chart -> http://gpix.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/colour-temperature1.gif

What puddle LEDs did you use? Have you checked that thread -> http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/522483-first-mod-led-puddle-lights-led-interior.html

Hi again Denis.

The LEDs I used for the puddle lights were again from eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110669367496&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

As I mentioned, they are not that powerful but look good. It is a shame that I didnt come across the thread you gave before I changed them!! :crybaby:

However, I will look into it more when I change the dome lights. I deffinatly want the same look as the guy in that thread!! looks awsome!

I do not have the sunglass holder so how do I remove the cover to change the lights? I attempted with a flat screwdriver but got scared that I might scratch it all up. :unsure:

Any advice would be greatful.....

@TG,

I am aware about the power output but I got the 8000Ks as I thought it would be the same as my younger brothers Audi A4.He has the 8000Ks and its REALLY bright! But I was wrong. :angry:

thank you for your response though ;)

Do not attempt to open the cover with a screwdriver as you will scratch the plastic around the cover. I used two old RFID cards (credit card size) from my work.

Hi Denis, thanks for the heads....

....Will a normal credit card do? Also, which bit do i need to remove? As i said, I dont have a glasses holder just a piece of plastic, that bit or the actual light cover?

Thanks

Hi Rumen,

Regular credit card should do it, but bear in mind that it is a little thinner than the RFID card and you can easily brake it so you'd better use an expired card :)

Cheers

Thanks, gonna try to do it today. I dont have the leds yet, but atleast Id know how to open it once I get them. :shifty:

I will update you once I do it........

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links