Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Why does the ECU need to learn someone's MPG/driving style. Sounds like c@ck to me - the Long Term Fuel Trims will be reset, but the ECU should compensate accordingly and you will see this on your Short Term Fuel Trim figures. Eventually the Long Term Trims will adjust, but the ECU doesn't really need to 'learn' anything in my opinion.

Chuckie I have done about 300 miles since my engine re-build and the MPG has gradually increased and is now around the 40 mark. I know what you are saying that it is difficult to understand why the ECU has to learn but something has changed for the MPG to improve.

Maybe because the engine has 'bed' in and the weather has warmed up. I noticed the strange characteristic of idling at @1200rpm when the heater is on until it is FULLY up to operating temperature. Maybe a 'de-coke' every now and then is worth doing using the Italian tuning method! LOL! 6 mins @ 3500rpm should do it.

Maybe because the engine has 'bed' in and the weather has warmed up. I noticed the strange characteristic of idling at @1200rpm when the heater is on until it is FULLY up to operating temperature. Maybe a 'de-coke' every now and then is worth doing using the Italian tuning method! LOL! 6 mins @ 3500rpm should do it.

Perhaps, either way I am a lot happier now that my MPG has improved, the revs at 1200 is characteristic of the engine as you say until it is fully warmed up. I travel 12 miles to work and in winter the engine is still not up to normal running temperature after this journey, it has been that way since day one.

It was when I was travelling on the motorway when my troubles started I too thought the run at higher revs would clean the engine - wrong it packed in!!

LOL! I'm getting around 40-42mpg on my 11 mile route to work. I'd probably be better off with a small capacity petrol turbo but company car rules dictate otherwise! In winter I was down to 32mpg at one stage and had to buy a seat warmer as the engine never got up to temperature and the 1200rpm idle annoys me so much I have do switch off the fan. I've never experience so many idiosyncratic features in a Japanese car and I've owned quite a few.

well so far I have done some 1200 plus miles after my engine rebuild and I am getting 34mpg on the M3/M25 and 22mpg around town in Poole,am not impressed, seriously thinking of trading in the Lexus for a BMW?

LOL! I'm getting around 40-42mpg on my 11 mile route to work. I'd probably be better off with a small capacity petrol turbo but company car rules dictate otherwise! In winter I was down to 32mpg at one stage and had to buy a seat warmer as the engine never got up to temperature and the 1200rpm idle annoys me so much I have do switch off the fan. I've never experience so many idiosyncratic features in a Japanese car and I've owned quite a few.

Chuckie That’s remarkable same distance same MPG

Yes mine was much the same on MPG only slightly better in winter fell to around the 38 mark I am sure the performance will return when all settles down after the rebuild getting better day by day.

Merv

Looks like my car has a fuel leak around the manifold at the rear of the head, I can see fuel coming out (not much) , hence the smell of fuel, looks like the car will be going back to Lexus, Sigh!! :angry:

I'll throw this up just as a point of interest.

Over the past week I have tried to use Cruise Control on my journey to work every day. It's only a 20 mile round trip and I'm not on any sizeable roads. I have used cruise for 38 to 45 mph in 4th on flat/easy stretches, turning it off at awkward bends and the like. My mpg has gone from 40.8 up to a staggering 57.5!!

Maybe this illustrates the idea of maintaining a light foot on the throttle. Heavyish foot = wasted fuel to no real advantage. I should also add weather has been good the entire week. Be interesting to try the same in the winter.

The only downside was I did feel a bit of a grandad driver at times, but hey-ho this was experimentation!!

Hi all,

I'm having the same fuel economy problem with my IS 220d '07. In the city I get around 28MPG, in motorway, cursing at 85mph (6th gear) I get 29MPG.

Last week I brought the car to the lexus dealer. They told that EGR is clean, so they just remapped to the latest version, and now I get even poorer MPG (city -26MPG, motorway - 28MPG).

My main concern is why I get such poor MPG in motorways at the speed of 85mph.

Now booked this car for another check. They will take the car for the whole day and will try to find the flaws which make MPG so low.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - I am on my fourth Lexus and have just decided to join the club. My current car is a IS220D F Sport which I bought new in September 2010 after trading in 220d Sport. Althougn very pleased with the new car the performance is not a match on the old model. 6th gear is too high and will not pull up hill at 60mph and needs to change down whereas the old model would accelerate without any problems at 50mph in 6th. Fuel consumption is slightly better, up from about 38mpg to 42mpg between each tank fill. Most of my journeys are either on A road or motorways.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Thought I’ll give you all a progress report. The car has now done 3000 since the rebuild and I must say is doing better on the MPG front, I am now getting around 30mpg in town and 40-44 on a run, the key is to lighten ones right foot and to lower your motorway speed to get better MPG.

The car went into Lexus Poole to have its post head gasket check, and Lexus Poole gave me a new IS 200d courtesy car. All I can say to that is thank you Lexus Poole as the 200 was just slightly better on fuel than my current IS 220d but a lot more gutless.

All the problems I thought I had with the MPG on my car are down to driving style as when I gave the 200d some wellie, the fuel consumption went out of the window, but when you drove the car with respect, it drove just like mine with just a 2-3 mpg improvement with the new car which had done around 2500 miles from new (I know, not run it yet until its done 100k)

In terms of the differences between the 2 cars, the 200d still has the gear crunch in second gear (very reassuring as I was going to get mine replace but happy now) it is slightly lighter on the steering, but the killer for me is the performance, it feels so under power in comparison to my 2006 220d sport. I know the sport has a better ratio gearbox but that shouldn’t affect the power that much. If I had spent 27 k on a new one, I would be disappointed to say the least. But not all is loss, the sat nav is muched improved and is now available in 3D like other manufactures, and the voice control is much better at understanding your commands which means when you tell the car to set the temperature to 22 degrees, it doesn’t tell you “setting temperature to 30 degrees” (a common bug in 2006-09 cars, try it) so bottom line, my IS 220d is a keeper (although I am still tempted to trade her in for a GS450h, I like the hybrid thing)

wow - i can't believe the lexus fuel economy and useless 6th gear discussions are still going on. I had the original 220d back in 2006 and these 2 subjects were endlessly discussed. When i had to renew my car in 2009 i went for an audi A5 (2.0D) whicc has been a terrific car and easily gets me 40+ inner city and 50+ motorway mileage. I am renewing my car again at the end of the year and was keen to see if anything had changed with the lexus to make it worth looking at but it doesn't look like the car has moved on much since i had it first time round. With bmw just announcing a 520D at 119g co2 and 62mpg i think lexus need to decide if they are in this part of the car market or not.

I haven't seen much info on 2012 lexus IS yet so maybe something more competitive is coming up. Shame really as I did like my lexus but as a company car its all about co2 emissions and mpg...

This is really bad mpg. Have you really cleaned the EGR properly??? Is the air filter clogged?? I used to have bad mileage like this, but my Lexus dealer cleaned/cleans the EGR valve during services. I have the latest ECU flash too. My last run at the weekend with varied driving over 400 miles was 48.2 MPG. Not grandad driving just plain ordinary good sense driving technique. I hope you get it sorted coz fuel is too bloomin expensive as it is. Good Luck.

Col.. <[:o)

Hi all I'm new to the forum and have been watching your post with great interest. I have recently brought a IS220D sports and I love it, yes I am suffering from the crunching gear selector in 1st 2nd and 3rd but I can live with it, and I have also cleaned up the EGR after reading some of the post here and have seen some improvement to performance. But the one bug bear which is causing me concern is the poor fuel economy. Currently, I am getting around town 27mpg and 29mpg on a run which can't be right. My Qashqai which is a 1.6 petrol gets 25.5mpg around town and 34mpg on a run, I know that the IS 220D isn't the most economical diesel around, but I would at least expect it to be better than a petrol car. The car has done 100k miles and has a full Lexus service history and is flawless except for the mileage. Any help would be great

Just to throw my 2p into this, I get about 32mpg around the town, and 55mpg on a decent motorway run. Car has 46k on the clock and is on a 56 plate... Only modifications to the engine side is a K&N panel filter and a slight repositioning of the air feed into the air box.

wow - i can't believe the lexus fuel economy and useless 6th gear discussions are still going on.

the truth is, that lexus is sleeping. I don't know why. Look at the GS and compare it with e-class, a6 or 5er....GS looks like a historial piece. And IS? Soon will be replaced, and 220d engine has not had almost any change since it is on the market. I don't know why... 320d has had major change in the engine already 2 years ago.

Pursuit for perfection has become not pursuit, but reverse?

on the other end - UK market is probably not important enough for lexus. In europe nowadays you buy IS with gearbox ratios set between standard (long) one and sport one - ratios almost as on 320d (which are very good).

And IS200d? I am still knocking on my head who came with this stupid idea.

Matus, I just have to reply to this... Most of what you say I do respect, but, this time, I do have an issue. I know you have you're own personal view of the IS220D, but, it makes me unhappy to read this comment which brings down the Lexus brand, in particular in the UK. The IS220D is a perfectly good car with some minor points of frustration, which, you will find with any car. This even comparing BMW etc, which, I have drivem and found less enjoyable than the Lexus IS220D. I prefer constructive comments rather than destructive. Yes, I have had a few problems with my 220D, but, they have all been resolveable. It is an extremely comfortable and veyr reliable car, and is a pleasure to drive once you know and learn how to drive it. Please, do not destroy this brand further. It outclasses many many other brands and has a lot of extras as standard, that you have to pay extra for in other brands.

Regards

Col...

wow - i can't believe the lexus fuel economy and useless 6th gear discussions are still going on.

the truth is, that lexus is sleeping. I don't know why. Look at the GS and compare it with e-class, a6 or 5er....GS looks like a historial piece. And IS? Soon will be replaced, and 220d engine has not had almost any change since it is on the market. I don't know why... 320d has had major change in the engine already 2 years ago.

Pursuit for perfection has become not pursuit, but reverse?

on the other end - UK market is probably not important enough for lexus. In europe nowadays you buy IS with gearbox ratios set between standard (long) one and sport one - ratios almost as on 320d (which are very good).

And IS200d? I am still knocking on my head who came with this stupid idea.

Col, I am also very happy with the car, but what I wrote is true.

From my point of view, lexus stands for 5 years on one place. They haven't moved further. Except prius plugin hybrid, they haven't invented and put on the market anything.

I've just had a week in Scotland, attending a Wedding. Given that I live on the south coast I knew this would make for an interesting appraisal of comfort and a good mpg test. Going up to Scotland we were 4 adults and baggage. Coming back we were two adults and baggage( boys flew back early - but left us their baggage!). Travelling weather was mostly fair or sunny with just the odd shower. Tyre pressures were all spot on. Car was serviced 3 months ago. Car is 4 years old with over 107,000 miles on the clock.

Cross country run to Bristol to pick up second son returned 44mpg. The roads were somewhat busy with a lot of stop starts.

Away onto the M5 and M6. Here I found if I ran at 70-74mph using 5th gear I was getting 56mpg. The motorways were really quite empty and notching up to around 82mph and using 6th gear I would get 49-50 mpg. Day one we covered 420 miles stopping over the border into Scotland. This left the final leg to just below Aberdeen on day two, in total just under 600 miles.

Travelling around after the Wedding to visit sights I was getting 46mpg.

My wife and I drove the return 580 miles in one day, sharing. Again we getting 49-50 mpg utilising 6th gear, and 55mpg in 5th.

Comfort

We all found the ride extremely comfortable and quiet. The drivers seat I found exceptional for comfort and support( way better than my old is200 sport). Sitting in the back for 150 miles I found OK although the seats are a little on the hard side. Leg room I found perfectly adequate. I have never before covered 580 miles in one day and felt 'so fine' at the destination.

Economy

50mpg at just over 80mph I was very pleased with, 56mpg at 74mph for me is great. We all used Cruise Control at all times. My eldest was sceptical until he turned CC off and watched the mpg drop to 42. If proof were ever needed of a 'light foot'!

Overall verdict - chuffed to bits. Both lads have asked Dad for the 'Hand-Me-Down' please!

• Like 1

Matus, firstly. Thanks for adding me as a friend. You are correct that Lexus haven't really moved on, but, they must be comfortable with their range, which may not be a good approach. As I don't intend spending more money now that I am retired. I just have to remain happy with my 220D. I do respect your views, and what you say in the main is true.

Best wishes

Col .

Col, I am also very happy with the car, but what I wrote is true.

From my point of view, lexus stands for 5 years on one place. They haven't moved further. Except prius plugin hybrid, they haven't invented and put on the market anything.

I really enjoyed reading your post normski. It just re-inforced my love of my own IS220D. My Wife and two grown up boys love the car too. So glad you love the machine.

Col <[:o)

I've just had a week in Scotland, attending a Wedding. Given that I live on the south coast I knew this would make for an interesting appraisal of comfort and a good mpg test. Going up to Scotland we were 4 adults and baggage. Coming back we were two adults and baggage( boys flew back early - but left us their baggage!). Travelling weather was mostly fair or sunny with just the odd shower. Tyre pressures were all spot on. Car was serviced 3 months ago. Car is 4 years old with over 107,000 miles on the clock.

Cross country run to Bristol to pick up second son returned 44mpg. The roads were somewhat busy with a lot of stop starts.

Away onto the M5 and M6. Here I found if I ran at 70-74mph using 5th gear I was getting 56mpg. The motorways were really quite empty and notching up to around 82mph and using 6th gear I would get 49-50 mpg. Day one we covered 420 miles stopping over the border into Scotland. This left the final leg to just below Aberdeen on day two, in total just under 600 miles.

Travelling around after the Wedding to visit sights I was getting 46mpg.

My wife and I drove the return 580 miles in one day, sharing. Again we getting 49-50 mpg utilising 6th gear, and 55mpg in 5th.

Comfort

We all found the ride extremely comfortable and quiet. The drivers seat I found exceptional for comfort and support( way better than my old is200 sport). Sitting in the back for 150 miles I found OK although the seats are a little on the hard side. Leg room I found perfectly adequate. I have never before covered 580 miles in one day and felt 'so fine' at the destination.

Economy

50mpg at just over 80mph I was very pleased with, 56mpg at 74mph for me is great. We all used Cruise Control at all times. My eldest was sceptical until he turned CC off and watched the mpg drop to 42. If proof were ever needed of a 'light foot'!

Overall verdict - chuffed to bits. Both lads have asked Dad for the 'Hand-Me-Down' please!

• 4 weeks later...

I went up to Birmingham this weekend and drove on cruise control for half of the journey and managed to get 45 MPG which is great and that's without driving like miss daisy, also I recently found an original launch brochure for the IS and I have discovered that the IS 220d sport which I have does 6 MPG less than the standard 220d with the taller 6th gear, that makes me very happy as I have managed to exceed the manufactures figures.

I went up to Birmingham this weekend and drove on cruise control for half of the journey and managed to get 45 MPG which is great and that's without driving like miss daisy, also I recently found an original launch brochure for the IS and I have discovered that the IS 220d sport which I have does 6 MPG less than the standard 220d with the taller 6th gear, that makes me very happy as I have managed to exceed the manufactures figures.

What speed were you at for the 45mpg?

I drive quite a bit on the motorway with both CC and manual and at 75 I struggle to get above 38mpg (220d sport). I have however just replaced a dirty air filter (although not reset the ECU) I am waiting ot see how it compares.

What speed were you at for the 45mpg?

I drive quite a bit on the motorway with both CC and manual and at 75 I struggle to get above 38mpg (220d sport). I have however just replaced a dirty air filter (although not reset the ECU) I am waiting ot see how it compares.

I was doing 60-75 for most of the way with the occasionaldip into the 80's however I must confess that I have recently installed a K&N replacement panel air filter which may also play a part.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links