Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Campaign To Lexus For Excessive Tyre Wear

RJF

How many of you have had serious tyre wear on your Lexus.

I have now gone through 19 front tyres in 3 and half years and 48K, unreasonable or what.

It is a Lexus problem that they have denied from Day 1. I have had the full geometry checked 4 times and set to WIM specification. I have the front top and bottom joints replaced and also the front trailing arms and rears changed with no improvement.

Lets make a list of all those people who had a problem and the number of tyres wasted.

Start now.

E-mail to the fisher6@aol.com

I have now gone through 19 front tyres in 3 and half years and 48K, unreasonable or what.

It is a Lexus problem that they have denied from Day 1. I have had the full geometry checked 4 times and set to WIM specification. I have the front top and bottom joints replaced and also the front trailing arms and rears changed with no improvement.

Lets make a list of all those people who had a problem and the number of tyres wasted.

Start now.

I am not knocking Tony or WIM, but I cannot see what you hope to gain from Lexus. It does appear that some Lexus models appear to suffer from excessive tyre wear, predominantly on the front. However it would seem that you would have no real comeback on Lexus since you openly admit that your geometry settings are not as specified by Lexus. How many miles and front tyres since resetting to WIM spec?

Holey crap thats insane amount of tyres.

There is something seriously wrong with your car or your driving. No way should any car get thorugh them that quick.

i used to drive about 40K per year and only got through a set

Visited Tony's place a couple of years ago and had my IS200 WIM'd.

Never had a problem with tyre wear since. Thanks again Tony.

19 front tyres in 3 years!!!!!

You have a very serious problem that geometry setting alone will not cure.

I haven't heard of a single case of this problem continuing to exist after using WIM's revised settings.

And you're having far more aggressive wear than I ever had and most others, does point to the fact that there may be a deeper underlying cause..........

I have to concur with Parthiban.

I have had my is200 sport for 13 months, covered 17,000 miles and still have over 5mm on my front tyres.

Excessive front tyre wear on power assisted vehicles tends to be on the outer edge of the tread. Scrubbing...Caused by turning of wheels whilst vehicle stationary.

My tyres don't even show excessive amounts of this problems either.

I would have your steering properley checked and possibly drag it down to a car body repairer and have your chassis checked to make sure its straight.

i have had my car set to the wim spec toe wise but im running more camber 4deg at the rear and i dont go through as many tyres as that.....

• 3 months later...

Start now.

I am not knocking Tony or WIM, but I cannot see what you hope to gain from Lexus. It does appear that some Lexus models appear to suffer from excessive tyre wear, predominantly on the front. However it would seem that you would have no real comeback on Lexus since you openly admit that your geometry settings are not as specified by Lexus. How many miles and front tyres since resetting to WIM spec?

CAMPAIGN AGAINST LEXUS FOR TYRE WEAR PROBLEMS

Hi Lexus IS200 owners, its been a long time and now and i am up to 21 front tyres, high or what?

I must say that i am not knocking WIM settings as I believe the garage that used the settings made a total ***** up and did not followmthe setting suggested by WIM.

Lexus have now reset the geometry two more times since, and I have a letter from Lexus UK denying that there is or ever has been any problems with the Lexus IS200 inner front tyre wear. Someone is telling porkies.

It appears that they think it was either the tyres, or may be the road conditions, my driving or the weather? everything except the car.

I am now preparing an action against lexus and would like everyone who has had a problem with front inner tyre wear to e-mail me Rob F. at thefisher6@aol.com and not to reply to the lexus owners club as I want to be able to access the individual letters and responses easier.

Send Send Send me your complaints.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I've had my IS200SE for 5 years, and have had no problems with tyre wear. I get 17 - 20k out of the fronts (currently Goodyear F1's).

Something is way wrong for yours to munch through them like that.

Same here, ever since I've been having the geo done by WIM no problems at all. Just had new rear tyres fitted at WIM last week, and a geo after 3 years, geo was slightly out understandably but front tyres have perfectly even wear, and still have about 4-5mm on them after 20k miles.

I would highly recommend getting your car to WIM or one of its approved centres (there's a map of them on their website) to get your car set up correctly - hate to be negative but I can't see the battle against Lexus UK going anywhere in particular.

i could understand if you went through 19 sets of rear tyres :whistling: but 19 sets of front tyres ??!!! hope you get the problem sorted lad

Not on an IS200 :hehe:

It's the fronts that have had a problem on the IS200, aggressive inner tyre wear was a characteristic of Lexus's original settings which was cured by WIM and later updated by Lexus themselves also.

• 8 months later...

I've had my car from new and is in very good condition.

But in the last 2 years, I have change my tyres 4 times and my milage over 2 years is 30,000 miles

I have had Geometry ?? alignment at a gargae with a really fancy machine which does 15 way alignment and after 4 months now have 2 Front New Bridestone tyre worn on the inside. So need to purchase again.

If Tony Bones method works then can you please give me the words that I need to tell the garage mechanic to get this problem sorted.

Fully support campaign into Lexus - But from experience Lexus do not listen..

CAMPAIGN AGAINST LEXUS FOR TYRE WEAR PROBLEMS

Hi Lexus IS200 owners, its been a long time and now and i am up to 21 front tyres, high or what?

I must say that i am not knocking WIM settings as I believe the garage that used the settings made a total ***** up and did not followmthe setting suggested by WIM.

Lexus have now reset the geometry two more times since, and I have a letter from Lexus UK denying that there is or ever has been any problems with the Lexus IS200 inner front tyre wear. Someone is telling porkies.

It appears that they think it was either the tyres, or may be the road conditions, my driving or the weather? everything except the car.

I am now preparing an action against lexus and would like everyone who has had a problem with front inner tyre wear to e-mail me Rob F. at thefisher6@aol.com and not to reply to the lexus owners club as I want to be able to access the individual letters and responses easier.

Send Send Send me your complaints.

So you blame Lexus for setting the cars up wrong from new. You blame the other garage for not resetting it to WIM settings. Have you actually taken any notice of the various suggestions made by LOC members and acted on it? Do you not think that maybe it might have been worth getting your car on a jig to check that it is a "straight car" or getting the alignment, steering etc checked? To have driven it for around 50k miles and gone through 21? front tyres without getting to grips with solving the problem smacks somewhat of negligence. I would certainly not have let things go unrectified for 3.5 years and circa 50k miles on any of my cars. I think your chance of bringing a case against Lexus is absolutely zero.