Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D Fuel Economy Issues

RossCumming

Hello, I have an issue with my IS220D fuel economy and started looking about these forums to see if anyone else had similar issues and I am surprised how many people do seem to have an issue with fuel economy.

I own a 59 plate IS220D bought new in November 2009 and has covered 15000 miles now. For the first 12 months everything was fine and I got anywhere between 44 to 47 MPG on the daily commute to work (easy driving, no towns) and easily got over 50mpg on motorway driving. At the start of December 2010, my MPG went from this steady 44/47 MPG down to 35/36 MPG virtually overnight. A visit to Lexus dealer where I bought the car and they said this was "normal" for winter and blamed the weather for being too cold. I have waited 8 weeks and there has been no improvement whatsoever. I still struggle to get more than 36 mpg on the daily commute to work where it used to be easily 44/46 mpg.

The issue happened around the same time that the car got bogged down on a hill in the snow and the traction control was working overtime trying the get the car up the hill. After that, the fuel economy has gone down by around 20%. Coincidence or related? Any ideas? It is due back at Lexus this week as I am not happy about the poor fuel economy. The car also seems "throatier" and a little less responsive at low revs (under 2000rpm) and there is now blue/grey smoke under acceleration (which Lexus said was "condensation") periodically. However, I fully expect Lexus to fob me off with the "this is normal" routine again. I also spoke to a work colleague who has a 57 plate IS220D and he regularly gets over 50mpg from his.......

Any info greatly received,

Thanks,

The usuall advice got on this forum for your type of question is

1. Get EGR valve cleaned. It is known to get blocked/choked any where from 3k miles to 15k miles dirivng depending on your driving style and road type etc. Also known to cause smoke

2. Put in premium fuel. Helps with fuel economy, cleaner injectors and smother running

3. Put in Millers Deisel additive to clean out any injectors that might be clogged.

4. If you dont do motor way driving, then try to go onto motor way and drive for about 15-20 miles in high revs, this initiates and cleans the DNPR particulate filter. Blocked filter known to cause low fule economy and smoke

All these are usual problems relating to fuel economy and smoke

Also keep check on your tyre pressure.

1. Get EGR valve cleaned. It is known to get blocked/choked any where from 3k miles to 15k miles dirivng depending on your driving style and road type etc. Also known to cause smoke

2. Put in premium fuel. Helps with fuel economy, cleaner injectors and smother running

3. Put in Millers Deisel additive to clean out any injectors that might be clogged.

4. If you dont do motor way driving, then try to go onto motor way and drive for about 15-20 miles in high revs, this initiates and cleans the DNPR particulate filter. Blocked filter known to cause low fule economy and smoke

and read this recent post http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=71079

and read this recent post http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=71079

Thanks for the info. I have been using Shell Optimax and have been keeping a check on the tyre pressures which are OK. Although I do not drive a lot of motorways, the drive to work involves a nice long straight road (10 miles) so 60/70 mph often.

I will try add some additives and point out to Lexus tomorrow that I would like the EGR valve and particulate filter inspected/cleaned.

many thanks,

• 3 months later...

Hi, new to this forum so please bear with me.

Recently bought a IS 220d on a 56 plate and my MPG is very very low. I'm using it as a taxi in Sheffield which is very full of hills, which I know add to the problem but I have only been getting 23 mpg. I know that isn't right. All advice welcome and needed please. If I got over 30 mpg I would be fine with it but 23 mpg just isn't acceptable.

Work it out brim to brim as the computer id pessimistic (shows a lower MPG than actual), whereas most other brands are optimistic (show a higher MPG than actual). The gearing 1-2 is terrible. I have to rev to 3.5K in 1st for it to drop to 1800rpm in second (to keep the turbo working)

Recently bought a IS 220d on a 56 plate and my MPG is very very low. I'm using it as a taxi in Sheffield which is very full of hills, which I know add to the problem but I have only been getting 23 mpg. I know that isn't right. All advice welcome and needed please. If I got over 30 mpg I would be fine with it but 23 mpg just isn't acceptable.

Work it out brim to brim as the computer id pessimistic (shows a lower MPG than actual), whereas most other brands are optimistic (show a higher MPG than actual). The gearing 1-2 is terrible. I have to rev to 3.5K in 1st for it to drop to 1800rpm in second (to keep the turbo working)

I agree that the computer is a good 5 mpg less than what you are really doing.

My mixed driving hovers around 38mpg when in reality I'm getting near 43-46mpg when calculated from petrol price versus miles.

If you take £1.40p/l or £6.36 per gallon I usually get 200+ miles to £30 which equates to 42 mpg or better.

On motorway that will increase by around 5mpg.

Carl