Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Niggling Issues With My 1995 Ls

Hi All

Been away from these forums for a while and the look of it has completely changed !

Did have a GS 300 Sport a while back and briefly owned an IS 200 Sport (with 27k and one previous owner) before the kids arrived ...

Anyway back to business. I bought my 95 Series3 2 years ago from an old bloke in Derbyshire (best guys to buy it from as it was spotless Full SH and everything noted down with receipts including every time it was filled up - a bit OCD but hey, what records !) best of all only paid £2500 for a car with 50K on the clock ...

Few niggling problems:-

Heated seats don't work - lights up on button though (I realise that these may be down to knackered elements and on a car that's 16 years old I'm not too fussed)

Cruise control doesn't work

Radio back light doesn't work (common issue I guess)

Aerial only comes up half way and makes a thudding sound when coming up

Boot - damp and musky smell (I think I read on here that boot seal perishes and is a common and easy fix - replace boot seal ?)

Bonnet struts knackered (a common trait of ALL Lexus's I guess)

Anybody got any ideas on how to rectify some of these issues and where to go ?

Hello and welcome back :D

To answer you questions,

Heated seats don't work - lights up on button though (I realise that these may be down to knackered elements and on a car that's 16 years old I'm not too fussed)

Yes this is generally down to the heater elements going open circuit,can be replaced on a DIY basis however no idea on the parts cost.

Unusual problem,this only operates above 30 MPH,does the warning light come on when it is activated?

Again a common problem,sorry not sure if a cure has been found yet unless all the bulbs have failed

The aerial length is automatically adjusted depending on the frequency being used but again these do fail and can be rebuilt have a look at the tutorials on www.lexls.com

Boot - damp and musky smell (I think I read on here that boot seal perishes and is a common and easy fix - replace boot seal ?)

Yes common problem but normally removing the rubber seal,giving it a good clean and then applying silicon sealer to the lip before refitting sorts this,blocked sunroof drains can also result in water in the boot as can parking with the rear of the car higher than the front,check out the post entitled "I have done what Lexus should have done (or similar) regarding the latter problem.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=71374

Bonnet struts as Stupot says are available on eBay or there is a place in Derby which will regas them for around half the cost of replacements,they do mail order as well.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/pages/Regassing-Service

All in all minor generally inexpensive problems if you are using your own labour.

Hi

The heated seats will be the elements almost definately.

Assuming the cruise warning light is on and you are above 30 mph, keep trying it. Mine was the same when I got my car; it was down to lack of use and regularly trying it got it sorted.

I am currently working with Benfur (another member) on curing the backlight issue and should have the solution soon.

Aerial - ditto Steve2006

Boot. To add to previous comments. Completely remove the seal from the lip. Clean it and the channel. There are plastic corners at the back - check these for c**p. Similarly there are plastic covers for where the rear light cluster joins. Remove, clean and refit. Check both parts of the light clusters are firmly fixed and there is some evidence of the seal being present.

I replaced my bonnet struts this time last year. £50 off fleabay inc postage. Superb.

Re-sealing mine helped a lot, I also thought water was coming in through the plastic clips the rear lights snap into, I removed the light assemblies, and sealed round the clips. seems to have fixed it

[Yes common problem but normally removing the rubber seal,giving it a good clean and then applying silicon sealer to the lip before refitting sorts this,blocked sunroof drains can also result in water in the boot as can parking with the rear of the car higher than the front,check out the post entitled "I have done what Lexus should have done (or similar) regarding the latter problem.

Thanks fellas (and/or ladies !) Cruise light doesn't come on, I guess it was very rarely used (only covered 50k in 15 years) could there be a blown fuse or relay somewhere for this ?

I'll give the boot seal a go when weather picks up but do I need to replace with a new seal after siliconing ?

Won't bother with heated seats, not really necessary ...

Be interested to hera about the cure for the radio

Also noticed, sometimes my car stalls (!) when I'm at trafiic lights when I put into neutral and then engage drive ? Is this a common issue for this model as I'v never actually stalled an auto before now ! It always starts back up though

Thanks fellas (and/or ladies !) Cruise light doesn't come on, I guess it was very rarely used (only covered 50k in 15 years) could there be a blown fuse or relay somewhere for this ?

Also noticed, sometimes my car stalls (!) when I'm at trafiic lights when I put into neutral and then engage drive ? Is this a common issue for this model as I'v never actually stalled an auto before now ! It always starts back up though

There is a fuse for cruise, I cant remember if its in the box behind the Battery or in the one above and to the right of the accelerator pedal.

No, the car stalling is not a common issue. Have a play with the search facility for stallinging, idle etc. I'll have a look later. No doubt another member will be able to point you in the right direction.

Hi

The heated seats will be the elements almost definately.

Assuming the cruise warning light is on and you are above 30 mph, keep trying it. Mine was the same when I got my car; it was down to lack of use and regularly trying it got it sorted.

I am currently working with Benfur (another member) on curing the backlight issue and should have the solution soon.

Aerial - ditto Steve2006

Boot. To add to previous comments. Completely remove the seal from the lip. Clean it and the channel. There are plastic corners at the back - check these for c**p. Similarly there are plastic covers for where the rear light cluster joins. Remove, clean and refit. Check both parts of the light clusters are firmly fixed and there is some evidence of the seal being present.

I replaced my bonnet struts this time last year. £50 off fleabay inc postage. Superb.

I hope you find a fix as BBA reman. as recommended on another thread have replied:-

"Thank you for your reply.

At present we are not able to supply these units, so it would have to be a repair of your unit subject to condition.

To test the part is £35.00 plus carriage and vat.

If faulty and repairable the typical cost is £270.00 plus carriage and vat.

The test fee is included in the repair cost."

£270 to change a light ??? Gulp - I'd rather buy a cage and stick a single Din CD player in than pay that !

I'll give the boot seal a go when weather picks up but do I need to replace with a new seal after siliconing ?

Hi you dont need to replace the seal after the silicone job, Some early mark 3s have a habit of stalling normally after a dual carrageway drive when you are coming to a stop ( could be your throttle body needs cleaning as it is low mileage & presumably been used for short trips) you could also switch your aircon on, that would bring the revs up on tickover & stop the stalling. best of luck Mark

I hope you find a fix as BBA reman. as recommended on another thread have replied:-

"Thank you for your reply.

At present we are not able to supply these units, so it would have to be a repair of your unit subject to condition.

To test the part is £35.00 plus carriage and vat.

If faulty and repairable the typical cost is £270.00 plus carriage and vat.

The test fee is included in the repair cost."

£270 to change a light ??? Gulp - I'd rather buy a cage and stick a single Din CD player in than pay that !

Trust me, it aint just a light bulb and there are about 15 of them. However that price is crazy; you can buy a replacement unit for $299 plus postage, albeit with the volume knob on the left.

My stalling problem went away after I cleaned the throtle body B)

Hi you dont need to replace the seal after the silicone job, Some early mark 3s have a habit of stalling normally after a dual carrageway drive when you are coming to a stop ( could be your throttle body needs cleaning as it is low mileage & presumably been used for short trips) you could also switch your aircon on, that would bring the revs up on tickover & stop the stalling. best of luck Mark

Hi All

Been away from these forums for a while and the look of it has completely changed !

Did have a GS 300 Sport a while back and briefly owned an IS 200 Sport (with 27k and one previous owner) before the kids arrived ...

Anyway back to business. I bought my 95 Series3 2 years ago from an old bloke in Derbyshire (best guys to buy it from as it was spotless Full SH and everything noted down with receipts including every time it was filled up - a bit OCD but hey, what records !) best of all only paid £2500 for a car with 50K on the clock ...

Few niggling problems:-

Bonnet struts knackered (a common trait of ALL Lexus's I guess)

Anybody got any ideas on how to rectify some of these issues and where to go ?

At the moment i can only offer a solution to the bonnet strut issue. I use a 3 wood. Rubber grip goes down between the washer bottle and front pannel and the club head is then just the correct height to tuck under the open bonnet.. Sorry if this sounds klike im taking the p**s but its what i do. It was handy one day, it worked and thus i still use it.

But i have heard of people using jaguar XJS struts.

• 9 months later...

Cruise Control issue

Just a thought, on my LS430 you have to be in drive for cruise control to work. If you manually engage lower gear hold, it doesnt work.

While you are in the boot, remove the covers on each side of the floor

to check for any water in the well!

This is sound advice, I stripped the rear boot area out on mine to gain access to the electric area and found both wells full of water.

Boot seal was removed, cleaned and refixed with a dab of clear silicone, The leaking persisted but after a bit of faffing I managed to cure it.

The electric aerial is easy enough to rebuild, I bought a replacement antenna from eBay and replaced it in around 1 hour with the instructions provided.

Would be interested to hear about a fix for the heated seats, Leather is somewhat chilly on these cold winter mornings!

I put GS300 bonnet struts on mine.The aerial mast comes out by unscrewing the top nut on the aerial, switch on ignition and radio, the mast and plastic drive come out,switch off then on and the drive releases itself and pulls out.Replacement mast came off eBay about 15 quid with instructions.