Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400H Reversing Lights (Or Lack Of !) Lexus Email.

Most cars only had one reversing lamp because it is only legislation to have one rear fog lamp, the fog lamp must be central or RHS (in UK), manufacturers saw an opportunity to save production costs and complexity by just making the the rear clusters smaller without having redundant unused lamp areas or the cost fitting a rev and fog lamp both sides.

Putting only one reversing lamp on cars is still a very stupid idea as was mentioned in a similar thread elsewhere on this forum.  When you are driving in very rural narrow country lanes here in Devon and Cornwall (and other counties too) and on a moonless rainy night and, it becomes necessary to reverse to allow cars to pass each other, it can get extremely difficult.

All in all, a really silly cost saving exercise, very similar to the 'wonderful' idea of dispensing with the spare wheel!

1 hour ago, bluenose1940 said:

Putting only one reversing lamp on cars is still a very stupid idea as was mentioned in a similar thread elsewhere on this forum.  When you are driving in very rural narrow country lanes here in Devon and Cornwall (and other counties too) and on a moonless rainy night and, it becomes necessary to reverse to allow cars to pass each other, it can get extremely difficult.

It’s more a historical thing, the biggest “stupid idea” (it’s not so much the manufacturer as the government legislation) is only having one rear fog lamp, one blown bulb nowadays and your invisible in bad weather on the M-Way.........and I know exactly what trying to reverse back when meeting oncoming traffic on Cornish lanes is like, reverse lamps NEED to be powerful enough to view the road behind clearly not just for avoiding the Garden Gnome on your drive! 🤣

2 hours ago, Boxbrownie said:

Most cars only had one reversing lamp because it is only legislation to have one rear fog lamp, the fog lamp must be central or RHS (in UK), manufacturers saw an opportunity to save production costs and complexity by just making the the rear clusters smaller without having redundant unused lamp areas or the cost fitting a rev and fog lamp both sides.

I know, but it bugs me!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bluenose1940 said:

All in all, a really silly cost saving exercise, very similar to the 'wonderful' idea of dispensing with the spare wheel!

Yep. Or removing the hard shoulder...

20 hours ago, Lager shandy said:

i think your find if you change the bulbs in your rear lights from normal bulbs to led bulbs your modifying your car and so invalidating your insurance .i read this in the sun ,not sure if the story made it into the guardian so thought I would just say lol.

Have checked with my insurer, and for the ok from them (Co Op eco)...

Screenshot_20191113-150510.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Well the authorities have had many years to consider and update but have not changed the regs in this respect,   perhaps for the counter reason I posted.

I think your reading too much into the lack of action from GovUK.......reversing lamps on cars is most likely quite a way down their list of priorities 🤣

7 hours ago, Farnham Dave said:

Yep. Or removing the hard shoulder...

I posted this thread a long time ago and did change to LED lights and removed the deflector plate. I sold the car 18 months ago and nobody crashed Into the back of me due to being dazzled by the improved reverse lights lol 

My new car has great reversing lights so no need for me to set about the Maserati forum lol 

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2019 at 3:09 PM, Farnham Dave said:

Have checked with my insurer, and for the ok from them (Co Op eco)...

Screenshot_20191113-150510.png

Have now replaced bulbs with LEDs in reversing lights, and removed the extra deflectors... Whose purpose seemed purely to limit lighting of the reversing light to the lower half. While I was there, LED-ed the interior light on the the rear door trim, too. Haven't tested properly yet, since it's not dark at the moment.

Noticed that the light clusters l on the rear seem to be designed so they can be opened up, so might look at those sometime (could do with removing some water ingress).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2020 at 3:39 PM, Farnham Dave said:

Have now replaced bulbs with LEDs in reversing lights, and removed the extra deflectors... Whose purpose seemed purely to limit lighting of the reversing light to the lower half. While I was there, LED-ed the interior light on the the rear door trim, too. Haven't tested properly yet, since it's not dark at the moment.

Noticed that the light clusters l on the rear seem to be designed so they can be opened up, so might look at those sometime (could do with removing some water ingress).

Had reversing lights like this for a couple of months, now. Have to report it's done the job beautifully.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links