Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400H Reversing Lights (Or Lack Of !) Lexus Email.

I brought LED reversing lights from here on eBay

car_tuning_shop_uk

The bulbs you want are W16W

I brought the Cree 5w at £16.50 for the pair but they have a selection of different types.

With the silver deflector still in place it helped, removing the deflector plate which took about 30mins and it has made the world of difference, I can now see what is behind me when reversing both in the mirrors and the camera.

No lamp failure fault came up.

The lights shine out like a torch and make a beam of light on the road a bit like headlights.

I obviously fitted them during the day and just fitted one to compare and didn't think they looked much brighter just a white light. But if you put a piece of board or cardboard behind the light with the car in reverse. (Handbrake firmly one so you don't get run over) you can see the original lamps just glow and give out very little reflective light compared to the LED bulbs.

No lamp failure fault came up.

The lights shine out like a torch and make a beam of light on the road a bit like headlights.

I obviously fitted them during the day and just fitted one to compare and didn't think they looked much brighter just a white light. But if you put a piece of board or cardboard behind the light with the car in reverse. (Handbrake firmly one so you don't get run over) you can see the original lamps just glow and give out very little reflective light compared to the led bulbs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/W16W-T15-5W-HIGH-POWER-LED-REVERS-TOP-CREE-CAR-BULBS-/331030397707?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d12f3030b

Are these the ones you got?

Did you take the deflector off?

I live in a dark lane so it got to the stage that i was reversing out of my drive occasionally getting out sometimes to double check. Now i feel a lot more confident now i can see.

Huge long topic and I need a lay down now after reading all the way through it :hehe:

I agree that the reversing lights on the RX are like having candles in the tailgate and because of the privacy glass in the rear backing up is not easy but........

Have you guys tried switching off your auto dimming mirrors (not dipping but dimming) before reversing..... makes a huge difference of being able to see what's behind you verses just reversing and hope for the best and pray you don't get a crunch sound !!

Hmmm... worth trying, but this won't help with the rear view camera. Also, you cannot switch off the dimming of the side mirrors... or can you? Does the switch on the rear view mirror also disable the dimming of the side mirrors?...

Will try tonight.

You're right, it won't help with the camera unfortunately but it makes a big difference on seeing out the back/side mirrors.

Yes, the switch on the rear view mirroe does turn off both the rear view and door mirror dimming - Only trouble is it defaults back to on again net time you start up your car but no big deal.

I have reversing sensors as well so that gives a bit of extra security

Give the dimming option a try - I think you'll find it a help

About to install the LED reversing bulbs. Just wondering whether the LED bulbs on their own will provide much more light than the original bulbs, or whether I need to remove the reflectors as well to make a significant difference.

Could there be any potential issues with the MOT if the reflectors are removed?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm considering changing one of the reverse bulbs to High Powered Infrared LED's - invisible to the human eye, but would give the reverse camera "night vision".... Anyone tried this?

No - And I would imagine you would fail your MOT.

I can't see why it would fail the MOT as reversing lights are not a RTA requirement (see comments form Lexus about this).

Not sure how well it would work though.

Mike

You're right - Sorry.... I thought IF they were fitted then they had to be functional for the MOT but they don't

Surely using IR LEDs requires an IR sensitive rear view camera?

Most CMOS cameras have an IR filter to prevent weird and wonderful effects during normal use, so you may find trying to use IR LEDs to illuminate will be pointless, possibly?

Can somebody shed light on that? Ho, ho.......

I have tried all of these modifications. I have fitted LEDs and removed the light deflector. That alone was a vast improvement, but the light is not directed to the ground. As for the camera, I am told there is no Lexus night vision unit that will replace the existing reversing camera. I also understand that a suitable after market unit has not yet been found (the guy who fitted my after market parking sensors is still looking).

So far, the best I can get in terms of reversing light is: fit LEDs, remove deflector, switch on rear fog lights and touch the brake a lot to switch on the brake lights. There is no street lighting where I live and this works well for me.

Although reversing at night is a nuisance, it is the only niggle with an otherwise great car.

• Like 1