Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Security

So very quick question .. My last cars alarm was bypassed by shorting the two wires to one of the side repeaters.. Was a Meta alarm , not sure which one one but possubly a piece a rubbish .. Obviously so actually .. Shorted then smashed window and i think the alarm died with all the fuses that blew !! Anyway , after some older type cars getting some attention from the local scum I'm worried about something similar happening again .. I honestly don't think these fools have the know how to take my new car ,, but not even being a week old it is actually keeping me awake ... HATE THESE WA :tsktsk: ERS WITH A PASSION.

Also is two sets lof lock nuts over the top ? How difficult to have a tilt switch added to standard alarm on a 2005 SE ???

***** nothing like dragging up an old thread.

Your prob best speaking to an auto electrition about adding a tilt switch but i dont see why it cant be done.

Too true .. Endless amount of digging to be done here when all is quiet in work.. Anyone else got a tilt switch .. Reliable? I mean will they cause problems when parked and arming off the flat ??? Will probably talk to someone though.. hate the idea of someone pulling panels off the inside :excl:

• 4 weeks later...

Dunno about tilt switches etc. Just a few words to all regarding security. From personal experience.

Keep your keys with you at all time. Take them with you when you go to bed. Spare keys should be kept in a lockable cash box well hidden. Mine is in my attic. My friend had a VR6 Golf. Went on holiday. House was ransacked, spare keys were found. My friend now has a lot more space on her driveway.

Buy a Diskloc. They are ugly. They are clumsy. They do provide a deterrent. I used to own a 5 series BM. Parked it on the street, I never had any fear as it had a decent alarm system. My failing was I gave credit to the kids that tried to steal my car. I thought they would have knew better than to try to steal my motor with a screwdriver. They didn't, they tried, the alarm goes off and I have a damaged door lock. If they see the big yellow lock they leave it alone, there are plenty of easier touches out there. Remember, by the time the alarm has activated the damage has been done.

Don't leave anything in view. Nothing! Put it all into the boot. You can deadbolt the boot with the key in the boot lock. Turn it 1/4 turn anti-clockwise. Means the boot cannot be opened even from the boot release inside the car. With that level of security you have no excuse for having valuables stolen from your car.

Drive with your doors locked. You have central locking. Use it. If someone is gonna take your car they will want it in one piece with the key. You are the weakest link in the security chain.

Be sensible where you park, Dont give thieves time and space to go to work on your car.

Keep your keys with you at all time. Take them with you when you go to bed. Spare keys should be kept in a lockable cash box well hidden. Mine is in my attic. My friend had a VR6 Golf. Went on holiday. House was ransacked, spare keys were found. My friend now has a lot more space on her driveway.

Agree with everything except this one mate - if people have gone so far as to get into my house, I'd prefer that they took the car (at least one of them) and leave happy that they've been successful rather than either turn the house upside down or even worse wait for you to return.

I'd much rather just lose the car, than all the additional problems that could ensue.........

That is a a good point. In that situation if you are gonna leave your car unattended for a while, like for instance going on holidays my best advice is park it somewhere secure, like if your workplace has a secure car park or leave it with on a friend or familys driveway. One guy who did this had his house ransacked when he was away, they took his spare keys but the car was parked elsewhere. He took his car to the dealership and his immobiliser was reprogrammed rendering the chip in the stolen keys useless. (The key could still be used to open the vehicle but not disable the alarm or immobiliser, he needed the ignition, driver/passenger/boot door barrells replaced. All covered under his insurance.)

Car alarms are all a load of rubbish. If they want the car, they'll get the car. If they can't get it nicely, they'll get it un-nicely. The easiest way to stop the opportunists is to leave nothing visible in the car. Trick is to not draw attention to the car.

As for trackers, all well and good, but to be honest, if my car was nicked I'd have no clue what they'd done with it and I wouldn't want it back - it'd never be the same again.

I'd save the cash and do something else with it.

Strongly disagree with the point of sleeping with your keys close to you - leave them where they can get them if they want them that much - no car's woth getting your head kicked in or worse for.

i Havent read all the thread but wasnt the IS200 the 1st car to get 100 out of 100 in security tests when it first came out.. :unsure:

Not to sure but I know the were quite alot of them being car-jacked when they first came out, presumably because it was the only real way to nick them...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links