Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Diesel Particulate Filter

ianbex

Hi fellow Lexus drivers, I appear to be having a problem with the diesle particualte filter on the car. It is in limp mode all the time. I was wondering if any one knew how to clean the filter, or even if this is possible. This seems to be a very common problem with the diesels and alot of people out there seem to have resolved theor probs without having to replace the filter which requires a second mortgage it seems. Doea any one have any suggestions, can it be cleaned or does any one know where to get a second hand/resonably priced one from?????? thanks for you time in advance

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I have just had same problem...3 days ago the engine, traction control, warning triangle lights all came on along with check vsc and car went into limp mode. Phoned Lexus dealer who could only get me in 5 days later so made appt but in mean time booked into local independent just to run diagnostics. Code came up as DPF blocked. They cleared the coed, ran at high revs for 10 mins hoping this might cure but warned me that fault/limp mode may return. Sure enough a mile or so later and back to square one except I knew what the prob was. A bit of research on interweb and the possible financial implications of filter replacement hit home. Cut a long one short, headed off down to local Wilco and bought a bottle of DPF cleaner, removed and cleaned EGR valve. Drove to nearest dual carriageway (Having to stop/start engine on way to take out of limp mode) and then proceeded to drive up and down the one mile stretch in high revs. (Found 3rd gear 4000rpm the most effective). It took a while as each time the car returned to limp mode had to pull over to stop/start again, but each time I done this the distance between limp modes grew until, after running for 20 miles with no limp mode I returned home, disconnected/reconnected the - lead of the Battery (to clear the fault lights etc.) and so far (50 miles +) have no further probe, In fact car is sounding/performing better. Its all to do with urban driving and no fuel additives which means the exhaust doesn't reach adequate temp to burn off the carbon and so it sits in the filter until it blocks.

Thanks for the post mickmate. So this has also happened to me on my 57 plate is220d yesterday, drove it for about a day stop/start and it only actually went in to limp mode once in 3 trips.

Whats worrying me is that I had actually done a 200 mile trip from London to Manchester so was driving in 5th at about 2.5k revs all the way home. So surely should have had enough temp to burn of the soot and clear the filter there was no warning light when i parked up about 7pm, then took the car for a 5 min trip 2 hours later and got the light?

Have got my garage to clear the egr valve and also they have run diags and found the DPF error code but said it was cleared when they reset and so have suggested i drive it for another week.

I have recently changed the oil using Shell Helix and I'm just worried if this may have caused it as i brought it online and it complies with the ACEA B1 spec as given in the handbook, but upon reading the oil bottle closer is says designed fro all diesel engines with out particulate filters? Can the oil have caused this as I've done about a 1000 miles since the change where as for the 6 months before this I've done 5k miles with no problem

Any ideas/thoughts welcome.

Thanks all for your responses so the latets chapter is as follows.

Lexus have carried out diagnostics and concluded it is the DPF filter, they have also advised that the manifold and a vacuum pipe need replacing as well as they are blocked with carbon, so they have given me a quote of £1400 to have the work done (discounted from the £1800 it comes to based on list process for parts and labour). I am just a bit stunned that my 47k Lexus which has had a service every 10k miles give or take a few thousand can suddenly need so much work and has carbon built up in it.

They did try the regenerate the filter for 2 hours but have advised it's failed and a replacement is only option.

The service manager at Lexus Manchester did also raise a customer relations case in to Lexus for me to see if they can help at all as she was a bit sheepish about the fact that it needs this at 47k miles so it is a 57plate and out of warranty now but still this is the kind of part you expect to last the life of the car, and my driving patter is 3 days urban and 2 days i do a 400 mile round trip to head office so the car has had plenty of opportunity to hit high speeds and hit temp requires for passive regeneration.

I have no e-mailed the Toyota CEO a complaint letter which he has passed on to a manager in customer relations to have a look at and I will let you know what they come back with.

Worst case if i get no help then i will look at removing DPF, Alicja thanks fro the link does anyone know of a place in manchester tht do DPF removal and a smoke test to gurantee MOT pass?

Hi Atif,

Same problem as youself after using helix oil..im only saying this as iv only used millers oil before, without any issues.

I drive from lancashire to london all the time so dont understand how this problem can occur tbh as the dpf should be regenerating all the time. Vsc light limp mode and p2002 code was stored

Car went into lexus manchester and i ended up paying £1400 for a new cat..lexus refused to fix under a recall procedure after numerous attempts by myself to both lexus manchester and lexus GB.

MINES DONE 100000 miles with full service history every 9000 miles from lexus. I hope you have better luck and they do fix it FOC for you, no matter what i said they wer not interested, so jus payed £1400 and got the car back. Let me know how you get on, the car is running great now no flat spots and better MPG , shame it took £1400 to get to this.

Thanks for the info Mudassar, still not heard back from Lexus GB assuming the dealy is due to bank holidays. Have been reading on oil for a few days now and am going to replace it i think to be safe, found this link really useful to understand ACEA differences.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/EOACEA2009/RPTOOL2010Dep/rp/pc/index.html

Will let you know what Lexus say.

Well guys here is the latest.

Lexus GB basically said exactly the same as the dealer and refused to budge or help in any way. So I just was not willing to pay 1400 to Lexus for this as I feel the part should not have gone so early.

Decided to get a DPF removal from ECUFlash.co.uk £600 and that was done last Fri/Sat in Sheffield.

Picked up the car Sat Am and added a tin off BG244 as I was aware that the would have removed DPF added a steel pipe and fitted the emulator unit, but from what Lexus said there was Carbon build up so wanted this to help clean the engine,

Drove it back to Manchester via the motor way so circa 70 miles and for the first half drove normally and had no issues, then I switched to a slightly harder driving style to try and heat up the exhaust temps to allow the BG244 to work in the exhaust system and noticed some white smoke being generated fro about 10 miles then stopped.

Assume this is the BG244 working and cleaning burning of carbon deposits formed. Or should I be worried?

The garage assures me it would pass the MOT but reading up it seems DPF removal does mean a bit more smoke then cars with it so will see what happens.

Car seems to drive a bit smoother now after having done about 200 miles, have had no problems even at cold start-up today started first time and just feels a bit smoother so I guess the BG244 is working, but again at higher revs will get a bit of white smoke for a while, then when I slow down smokes goes away. Will let you know how I get on after a full tank of BG244 has been run through as have only used a 1/4 of a tank yet.

Lexus are not the only man. to be ignoring the problems associated with DPFs blocking up & not regenerating. Had same problem on an 07 sportage.

Cost of DPF from main dealer £2366+vat+£160+vat for fitting !!!!!!!!!!!.

Several companies on the web can supply a DPF at less than £1K.

Alternative. If vehicle out of any warranty have the DPF core removed & the ECU remapped. Ensure everything remotely connected to the DPF such as regeneration cycle is deleted. Will be surprised at the difference. Much better throttle response & improved mpg.

The core contains precious metals. Worth money. Ask for it to be returned !!!. Take it to a scrap metal dealer & offset the remap cost.

Note. Ensure that externally everything looks as it should with sensors still in place etc otherwise it WILL FAIL the mot as equipment considered non standard

I'm from Croatia and by this site owner instructions (Peter from P&P Auto Services) I have succesfully removed DPF and installed emulators.

Car now runs like torquemonster train!!

Edited by janey
removed link (advertising T&C's)

Hi All/Shazy

Just a quick update as I haven't been bale to get back and update. So been close to two weeks since removal of DPF and so far the car is running fine. As mentioned in my post above did have some large white smoke and this lasted for approx 3 days, once I’d run through half the tank with the BG244 cleaner in this suddenly died away to not being visible from the car or appearing at lower speeds/revs at all.

Had my wife drive behind me and she confirmed small puffs when I put my foot down or at higher revs, not continuous but regular small puffs, again not visible form in the car unlike the first 2 days when large white puffs were visible, again I believe this was the carbon deposits/blockages being burned off from the fuel/exhaust system/manifold as identified by Lexus when they inspected.

Power seems smoother and more evenly delivered, power it's self seems the same but fuel mileage a bit better but have not done a long run yet. So fingers crossed so far so good since removal have done approx 470miles of local driving and a few short motorway runs.

My DPF died a couple of months ago, strangley enough not long after a service! Anyway, I have a Toyota Used Car Warranty and so was able to get a new one after the Toyota Garage explained to the warranty person that a DPF is not actually a consumable filter but a DPNR! It costs over £2K! BTW Lexus said it was NOT covered under their warranty due to it being a revised DPNR (08).

I have since found out that cars equipped with DPF MUST used low ash oil and so you must check this next time you get your car serviced. Ash is not combustable and so will block your DPF.

If I keep the car and it happens again, I will

1. Undo the hoses and clear them and the ports

2. Connect the hoses together so that the Pressure Differential Sensor is not telling the ECU it's blocked

3. Run at high revs. Although this didn't work last time and it's scary when you suddenly lose power. (passive regeneration)

4. If all else fails, I will take it off and blast it with a Pressure washer until it flows freely again

I am NOT paying £2k for a new one! Modern diesels! - New block, new DPF, dodgy DMF! Not been impressed!

Hi All,

Apologies because I didn't have time to read all posts.

Recently had similar problems with my 07 220d (loss of power, like having two Robbie Coltranes in the trunk all the time). It turned out to be EGR, but while investigating the DPF came under scrutiny. I have a good local mechanic (Somerset) who has diagnostic equipment and software. To cut the long story short: we went on about 30 min ride with his laptop connected to the car computer. As I understand, there are two settings for regenerating DPF: 1. motorway, 2. normal roads. BOTH need to be completed and this is what, according to the computer, happened in the 30 min dirve.

As I said, my problem was EGR, so I don't see any difference after apparently cleaning the DPF, but it looks like it should be doable.

Again, sorry if someone has already clarified this.

Drive safely,

Em

Hello Emrys, did you go to the guys are based in Taunton ? I had problems with egr valve and dpf filter. In my case it was too late for regeneration but Peter managed to remove dpf , clean egr and clean intake system and injectors with his new toys. The car never drive better than today. Recommanded to all.So if you having problems with you IS220 don't hesitate to contact them - they know waht they are doing.

Regards.

Edited by janey
link removed

Dpf, removing carconogenics from the atmosphere, don't just remove it guys. It's like saying nuclear power stations just flush your depleted rods in to the sea lol if we want to drive 175bhp diiesel cars around lets maintain them properly.

if you fancvy change it for xxx pounds - do it. What would you do if you new dpf would get blocked after another 6 weeks? Would you fit another one for xxx pounds? Dpf could fail because other things working not correctly in the engine:air mass meter, egr, lambda sensor etc. I've seen cars fitted with new dpfs units and they are failing again after 2-4-6 weeks. So take your own opinion.