Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Daytime Running Lights

DocBrendon

Hey guys

I'm new to the forum; recently got an IS220d SE-L which I'm really enjoying. I wanted to fit daytime running lights or similar, and thought of getting these:

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=180

They're 5 watt LED bulbs which I would fit in place of the standard 'parking lights' (W5W fitting), then either drive with the parking lights on in the day, or ideally wire them to always be on when the ignition in on.

Has anyone done similar? Any thoughts or other ideas?

Kind regards

Brendon

Just get a pair of standard white LED bulb from Halfords, they give an ice white light! I did this, looks nice, might have an issue changing the drivers side as I think the bumper has to be taken off...wasn't a prob for me as I fitted mine whilst the HiD's were being fitted! I also fitted the same bulbs in the wing mirror exterior courtesy light and the three bulbs in the front interior courtesy lights, matches the interior spotlights now!

PS, I drive with my lights and fogs on during the day! hehe

btw what mpg do you get?

post-37914-0-70824500-1298917359.jpg

Hi

The lights look good, Can you please tell the bulb sizes for wing mirror exterior courtesy light bulb and the front interior courtesy light bulb??

Thanks

Thanks, they are the usual 501 side light bulbs (small bulb with plastic bottom part and two wires on the base, no screw in, just push in), but its easiest to take the whole wing mirror off (lift glass carefully, screws behind).

1 for each wing mirror, 3 for the front courtesy light. Bear in mind that there are slight colour variations so try to match them.

I couldn't find the right size for the rear courtesy light, so I think I will get the bulb paint from Halfords (blue bulb paint gives white light) or try to find over the internet.

Ammo

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys

I'm new to the forum; recently got an IS220d SE-L which I'm really enjoying. I wanted to fit daytime running lights or similar, and thought of getting these:

http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=180

They're 5 watt LED bulbs which I would fit in place of the standard 'parking lights' (W5W fitting), then either drive with the parking lights on in the day, or ideally wire them to always be on when the ignition in on.

Has anyone done similar? Any thoughts or other ideas?

Kind regards

Brendon

Hi brendon

I just brought a pair of LED bulbs from eBay, they have a noticeable blue tinge and look great and are also can bus error free.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270697957822&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I have also ordered a pair of 8000k d4s Xenon bulbs from u.s.a for my is 220d to give the Xenon headlights a blue tinge.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170515149928&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

regards

Rav.

• 3 months later...

I have also ordered a pair of 8000k d4s xenon bulbs from u.s.a for my is 220d to give the xenon headlights a blue tinge.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Rav, these are bleedin awesome. I purchased the exact same item, from the exact same seller, 3 months ago. They are extremely bright, and just look ingenious at night.

With the addition of LED's (again, with a blue tinge) as replacement of the uselessly tango'd side lights, it's worked out pretty well. It's also an inspiration to those humouring me about getting "neons" to go with them, but I can tell they are envious with such remarks.

• 1 month later...

I have also ordered a pair of 8000k d4s xenon bulbs from u.s.a for my is 220d to give the xenon headlights a blue tinge.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Rav, these are bleedin awesome. I purchased the exact same item, from the exact same seller, 3 months ago. They are extremely bright, and just look ingenious at night.

With the addition of LED's (again, with a blue tinge) as replacement of the uselessly tango'd side lights, it's worked out pretty well. It's also an inspiration to those humouring me about getting "neons" to go with them, but I can tell they are envious with such remarks.

I have also purchased these as well. How easy are they to fit? I lifted my bonnet for the first time (I'm an IT Geek, don't know anything about whats under the hood) and everything seems to be out of touch. Can you pop them protective covers off and easily reach the area to push in the replacement 501 LEDs? I thought maybe once they're off the plastic rivets won't fit back on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Sunny

• 1 month later...

The passenger side was the difficult part. The washer tank gets in the way and it's a pain to get a screw driver in there to undo the clip.

But generally once off it's the same process to get back on. Fairly simple bar the one setback.

• 5 weeks later...

The passenger side was the difficult part. The washer tank gets in the way and it's a pain to get a screw driver in there to undo the clip.

But generally once off it's the same process to get back on. Fairly simple bar the one setback.

I tried doing mine the other day but it kept blowing the fuse. It was Micro Red 10 Fuse. When I contacted the LED company about this they said its a common problem and basically I need to replace the fuse with a greater strength one like a 20! Did anyone else have to do this?

I tried doing mine the other day but it kept blowing the fuse. It was Micro Red 10 Fuse. When I contacted the LED company about this they said its a common problem and basically I need to replace the fuse with a greater strength one like a 20! Did anyone else have to do this?

Hi

I think the "LED company" are telling you porkies, LED bulbs use less power so if anything you could reduce the fuse size, are you sure you haven't trapped a wire or something similar ?

nottonto

Hi

I think the "LED company" are telling you porkies, LED bulbs use less power so if anything you could reduce the fuse size, are you sure you haven't trapped a wire or something similar ?

nottonto

Thanks for the reply. You're probably correct, I haven't got a clue when it comes to electrical stuff like Voltage and Amps. It couldn't have been a wire issue because as soon as I replaced the LED bulb with the normal one it lit without blowing the fuse. But thinking about it now could the fuse have blown because I had one normal bulb in one side and one LED on the other? Could that have caused the fuse to blow?

Cheers,

Sunny

PS, I drive with my lights and fogs on during the day! hehe

Then you're a law breaking idiot.:yawn:

I have to agree with this. I thought that this look was reserved for chavs

Nothing wrong with driving during the day with dipped headlights on, but with fogs on at any time unless it's foggy you do make yourself look like a total d**k!!

With all the options for DRL's nowadays you could use these instead of fogs on during the day!!

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links