Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearbox 'clunky' When Cold?

Stix

hi as above really,

the gearbox is a little 'clunkier' when cold compared to whem warm, it has done it since i bought the car was just wondering if the car needs to be repaired rather than just ignoring it!

thanks

david

sorry should have said! its a manual, i thought it might have been just while the oil warms up and goes thinner and then reaches the parts it needs to but thought id check.

• 2 weeks later...

hello again lads!

Ive changed the gearbox oil and i used a transmission fix(http://www.lucasoil.co.uk/products.php?page=products&subpage=product&product=27)

and then topped up with the recommended oil

only problem is that this morning when i went to drive the car this morning it was very difficult to put the car into second but once the gearbox had warmed up everything seemed fine!

any ideas? have i put too much additive in? the stuff was VERY thick so im guessing ive put too much in?

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

David

• 1 month later...

Why on earth did you put additive in?! The whole point of using RedLine MT90 is it's brilliant oil on it's own. You've basically wasted your money.

Looking at the Lucas data sheet it's for auto trans or manual trans running atf or 10w30. MT90 is 75w90 GL4. The additive could potentially cause premature synchro wear. You've also mixed mineral oil with fully synthetic. You couldn't have made a bigger mistake if you'd tried. I'd drain it out & start again mate.

im looking to change my gearbox oil on my 6 peed manual as its a bit clunky (noisy) and stiff. any ideas on type of oil and amount to use? oh and where it goes in :)

You need approx. 2L of GL4 75w90. RedLine MT-90 is one of the best oils for the job as mentioned already in this post.

• 1 month later...

Ooops when I said recommended I meant by Opie Oils, which is 5w-30, not the MT Redline stuff you recommended, it has been fine ever since. But if you still think I need to change it again then ill get some MT stuff.

5w30 in the gearbox :blink: I'm confused. What oil did you get? Can you post a link maybe.

I just had a look on the Opie site & it lists 75w90 for the gearbox & 5w30 for the engine. You didn't put engine oil in the gearbox did you :yawn:

i think i may have been half cut when i posted that LOL! your confused? i have confused myself!

i actually put the Lucas stuff in and then topped up with Fuchs TITAN GEAR SYN 75W-90 Semi Synthetic Driveline Oil

i havnt noticed any problems with the gearbox recently but that could because ive just gotten used to it!

im still gonna get some Redline when i get paid though!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links