Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Led Speedo

Dinho

Hi, im looking for an LED speedo (dash) kit, wondering which one is best to get and where to get it from.

Here are 2 ive sen on eBay, they seem different but which one is better?

SMD Dash Kit

Dash Kit 2

the 2nd seems a bit dull if that image is of the actuall kit for sale.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

It will be cheaper just buying the bulb LED you need they like 501,s the just pull out and push in, or they might twist,

http://www.lightec-autostyle.co.uk/ready-leds-push-c-8_40.html

http://www.lightec-autostyle.co.uk/ready-leds-509t-twist-lock-c-8_19.html

im not sure what bulbs the lexus uses in its dash but someone will know,

id say the eBay ones are same brightness just second is bad pic.

hi, bit out of the blue but came across this thread whilst doing internet research, sorry if im breaking any rules, please forgive me (remove post if necessary).

the first eBay link is actually my own listing, i would just like to confirm that the kits contain blubs that were researched to be the best for the lexus dash, we tried numerous bulbs before settling on these. They are not cheap LED bulbs, they use extremely bright SMDs (not LEDs)

once again im not trying to plug the link as its up to you what you buy, i just wanted to shed some light (excuse the pun) on the thread.

thanks

Steve

As above do it yourself, them kits are cheap LED's that arent very bright

hi, bit out of the blue but came across this thread whilst doing internet research, sorry if im breaking any rules, please forgive me (remove post if necessary).

the first ebay link is actually my own listing, i would just like to confirm that the kits contain blubs that were researched to be the best for the lexus dash, we tried numerous bulbs before settling on these. They are not cheap led bulbs, they use extremely bright SMDs (not LEDs)

once again im not trying to plug the link as its up to you what you buy, i just wanted to shed some light (excuse the pun) on the thread.

thanks

Steve

As above do it yourself, them kits are cheap LED's that arent very bright

Fair enough if theyve improved but some of the earlier kits offered on eBay were shocking in terms of quality and brightness

the kit is better than the bulbs providing you got the proper one & not the e-bay one where the brightness is reduced.

as for the bulbs they as not bright & they tend to wear out a bit restricting light output.

a mate of mine has tried both & the kit was the better.

dask kit2 seems brighter for some reason & they are both LED kits'

What is the actual difference between SMD and LED, because the first kit is stated as SMD in the description but LED in the title, so how do you know what you are buying?

The only reason behind this is due to the fact that people will usually search for 'LED dash kit' not for smds so it is purely to get the most out of search results. I will look at possibly changing the listing titles when it comes to relisting time.

The kit in the first link consists of SMD bulbs, these have 5 points of light each emitting a 180 degree angle of light,

LED bulbs are either a flat or domed top bulbs which give off a smaller and therefore less bright light coverage

I cant say what bulbs the second link provides in the kit as i dont know.

I do have other pictures available if anyone requires them, feel free to ask.

I was looking into getting the kit, but i think it would look odd as it will not match the centre consle

Orange and blue???

Or maybe its just me wanting to be a perfectionist.... :winky:

I was looking into getting the kit, but i think it would look odd as it will not match the centre consle

Orange and blue???

Or maybe its just me wanting to be a perfectionist.... :winky:

Centre console is a bit more tricky, standard LEDs normally dont produce a wide enough light angle for full coverage and due to the lack of space its hard to fit much in there,

What about doing dash white instead of blue?

Here is mine, custom conversion with SMDs (due to bulbs not being bright enough this was done by soldering SMDS to replace the original bulbs)

lexus.jpg

Sorry bout watermark (force of habit due to photos being used without permission :()

Currently testing new bulbs to get the same effect.

That looks real good! Is it awkward to fit the bulbs into the heater console, mine centre console as out at the min so if I know what to do, i'll do it while its out. Did u just buy the seperate bulbs for the centre consle then, and if so where from?

That looks real good! Is it awkward to fit the bulbs into the heater console, mine centre console as out at the min so if I know what to do, i'll do it while its out. Did u just buy the seperate bulbs for the centre consle then, and if so where from?

I didnt use bulbs to convert mine as the bulbs that were available at the time werent bright enough to light it properly :( i ended up doing alot of soldering with individual SMDs to get it right.

Sorry couldnt give a more straight forward answer :(

Just for some clarification on the SMD vs. LED thing. (I'm nothing to do with the eBay listing by the way)

LED (Light Emitting Diode) are the standard type which are moulded inside a plastic cap which is normally dome topped, but can be obtained with a flat top for better light spread.

KitchenLightingLED.jpg

SMD (Surface Mount Diode) Uses the same scientefic process to emit the light, however it is just the 'bare' diode, and gives a much wider light spread than even the flat topped standard type.

T10-5SMD-WHITE.jpg

Also to 'lightmeup' in your advertising pictures it looks like the bulb behind the fuel guage is either not present or in backwards as theres no light coming from behind it.

Its more noticeable with that kit because the rest of it is so bright, but you can see how the light behind the Odometer fades from bright blue to a duller dark blue.

I've just ordered the white version of the kit, as I've got fed up with the replacement bulbs I bought coming lose in there housings an blinking on and off. And I don't want to solder them in incase I want to switch back the the original orange ones at some point.

Sprinter did you order the kit from light me up on eBay? When you get it installed let me know how good it is in white because im still not sure which colour to go for.

Sprinter did you order the kit from light me up on ebay? When you get it installed let me know how good it is in white because im still not sure which colour to go for.

I did indeed, ordered it last night.

The main problem I have with the LEDs I've got at the moment is that they are too directional. So you get dull patches in the gaps between the bulbs.

So I'm hoping these SMD ones with the multi directional light output will sort that out. :)

My reason for going with white is that I haven't changed the centre console bulbs, and white and orange looks okay. But blue and orange just looks...wierd. lol

I'll make sure to get some pics up as soon as it's fitted.

Ordered the kit Monday evening, and it arrived today. The contents of the 'kit' are as follows...

DSC00323.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

Would have been nice if they came mounted in new bulb holders (which aren't particularly expensive)

However the bulbs look decent quality, the diodes are mounted squarley in their housings etc. And the single ones have a bit of heat shrink round the edge of the diode to neaten it up a bit.

I've got athletics training in about half an hour, so I'll get them fitted when I come back from that and get some pics up.

The test will be to see whether the single diode ones do the same as my last ones did and start blinking after a couple of weeks because they wiggle in the holders. But we shall see...

So it is just those 5 bulbs in the kit, I wonder how much you can buy them for in singles?

Well good on you for getting the kit, be good to see the outcome. Let me know how long it takes you.

Yes its just the 5 bulbs you get.

The 5 sided bulbs are about £6.50 each if you buy them individually, and im not sure about the single ones.

So you'd probably struggle to beat the price if you were only buying the exact quantity to do one set of dials.

I've just finished fitting the bulbs, took about 20mins to do. Trickiest part is the trial and error of working out which way round the bulbs go in the holders, because they will only work one way round.

And I must say I'm very impressed with it, mainly by the perfectly even light spread across the dials. I stared at it for a good minute and couldnt see any noticable light/dark patches between bulbs. :)

Colourwise, they are a perfect white with no blue tint. Looks very nice against the yellow and red of the rest of the dials.

And as for brightness, perfect. Bright enough that you go 'ooh, they look nice' but not so much that it draws your attention while driving.

DSC00326.jpg

• Like 1