Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cam Belt Kit - Is This Too Expensive?

SpokesT

I need to sort out the timing belt on my 53k mile 52plate IS200. eBay reveals timing belt kits consisting of belt, tensioner, idler and water pump for around £200.

I went to Yeomans Toyota, the main dealer in Eastbourne, to see how much more I'd have to pay for genuine branded products (presumably), and was given a quote that went like this when I asked for the price of the necessary gubbins for the job:

Idler £64.59

Drive pump £33.92

Tensioner £61.00

Timing Belt £29.97

Water pump £111.66

VAT inclusive total price of £360.37

I was also asked if I wanted a price for labour, but I couldn't reply for laughing so much...

Or is it me being unreasonable? What say ye?

I bought mine from the USA as everything is about half the UK price but you do take a chance on being hit for import duty and VAT, some dealers will give you a discount for being a club member ( I even haggle with mine) or send a PM to AcLex on here who may offer better prices.

I need to sort out the timing belt on my 53k mile 52plate IS200. Ebay reveals timing belt kits consisting of belt, tensioner, idler and water pump for around £200.

I went to Yeomans Toyota, the main dealer in Eastbourne, to see how much more I'd have to pay for genuine branded products (presumably), and was given a quote that went like this when I asked for the price of the necessary gubbins for the job:

Idler £64.59

Drive pump £33.92

Tensioner £61.00

Timing Belt £29.97

Water pump £111.66

VAT inclusive total price of £360.37

I was also asked if I wanted a price for labour, but I couldn't reply for laughing so much...

Or is it me being unreasonable? What say ye?

Hi prices look reasonable,similar to what i paid for mine about 14 months ago.

I would try and get a kit from wherever without the water pump, if there is nothing wrong with it. My IS200 had its timing belt replaced at 6 years and is now nearly 10 years old. Still on original water pump. Get a good independent to fit it. IS200's are well known in the trade, so there should be no problems.

Why would I not buy this one though? £200 all in.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item45ef99f597

There is a guy on here (or several) who work for Toyota / Lexus main dealers.

One of them trades on eBay as Lexusbirm or something similar.Timingbelt and Tensioner-_- ( + the waterpump previously quoted by your east bourne dealer at £111 makes just over the "200 quid mark for genuine toyota parts!!:o

I noted that his parts (genuine) were quite reasonably priced so maybe its worth dropping him a message to see if he can offer competitively priced genuine parts at a more affordable price?

I noticed some original spark plugs he was selling and nearly bought but firstly

I contacted my man at Lexus dealership and he chipped price by few more quid!

Top bloke btw and any Lexus dealership will be happy to post the parts to arrive next day if u pay by card over the phone.

I know this is slightly :offtopic: but maybe it will help in the long run. Definitely phone around.