Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High Pitched Whine When Moving Away

I've only just noticed this sound as I usually have the radio or CD on and I'm unsure as to whether it may even be a feature of the car but when pulling away from standstill I can hear what can only be described as a high pitched whining sound coming from around the steering wheel area. As you gradually slow down to a complete stop the pitch gets slightly lower and then of course starts and gets higher again when moving away. The pitch when moving off is similar to a dentists drill spinning slowly, and then faster. It seems to disappear completely when you get to about 10mph. There is no effect on the actual steering at all.

Does anyone know if this is supposed to happen or is it a sign of impending cost?

Nov 1998 LS400.

Thanks

The power steering pump makes that sort of noise, linked to the engine speed, when its getting low on fluid

I've only just noticed this sound as I usually have the radio or CD on and I'm unsure as to whether it may even be a feature of the car but when pulling away from standstill I can hear what can only be described as a high pitched whining sound coming from around the steering wheel area. As you gradually slow down to a complete stop the pitch gets slightly lower and then of course starts and gets higher again when moving away. The pitch when moving off is similar to a dentists drill spinning slowly, and then faster. It seems to disappear completely when you get to about 10mph. There is no effect on the actual steering at all.

Does anyone know if this is supposed to happen or is it a sign of impending cost?

Nov 1998 LS400.

Thanks

Firstly, no it's not normal.

I concur that the likelihood is its low on PAS fluid.

Check and eliminate the PAS. If it continues, it could be the alternator belt squealing (with the engine running, give the belt/pulley a mega blast of WD40 and try to avoid the hand in the engine problem; it hurts).

You might need to squirt the belt a couple of times over a few days. If that doesn't cure it, it could be the water pump, but unlikely.

Check and eliminate the PAS. If it continues, it could be the alternator belt squealing (with the engine running, give the belt/pulley a mega blast of WD40 and try to avoid the hand in the engine problem; it hurts).

You might need to squirt the belt a couple of times over a few days. If that doesn't cure it, it could be the water pump, but unlikely.

WD40 is a penetrating oil. If the belt is slipping (which usually makes a screeching noise) WD40 will only make it slip more, but without noise.

WD40 is a penetrating oil. If the belt is slipping (which usually makes a screeching noise) WD40 will only make it slip more, but without noise.

Actually, its not the belt slipping that causes the noise. Its more common in the cold weather; its the hardness of the rubber on the pulley. I was shown the trick many years ago by a mechanic. Ive used it on my baby and infact used it only this week on daughter's vauxhall ashtray.

Steve, you are one of the most helpful guys on the forum but i cannot agree with the WD40 on the belt. The mechanic who showed you this "trick" has shown you a fiddle i think. Andy is right, its chalk you want.

I do however agree that the likely cause of the noise is teh PAS pump. And its probable knackered by now if its been run so low on fluid. It might still be working but my bet os that it will be noisey foever now.

My experience is, fluid gets low, froths up a bit, pump makes a noise, I top up the fluid, all is quiet again

Bit rough on the pump I agree, but perhaps it has to run a longer time on low fluid before it is badly damaged

I am not advocating this audible warning of low fluid approach to monitoring the PAS fluid level

Steve, you are one of the most helpful guys on the forum but i cannot agree with the WD40 on the belt. The mechanic who showed you this "trick" has shown you a fiddle i think. Andy is right, its chalk you want.

I do however agree that the likely cause of the noise is teh PAS pump. And its probable knackered by now if its been run so low on fluid. It might still be working but my bet os that it will be noisey foever now.

My experience is, fluid gets low, froths up a bit, pump makes a noise, I top up the fluid, all is quiet again

Bit rough on the pump I agree, but perhaps it has to run a longer time on low fluid before it is badly damaged

I am not advocating this audible warning of low fluid approach to monitoring the PAS fluid level

It certainly froths. I have only had this happen once - 4 years ago - and its still ok.

Steve, you are one of the most helpful guys on the forum

Shucks :duh: :duh:

You can "shucks" all you like Steve. I still dont agree with the WD40 on a belt. lol.

Thats the first time i have put lol on anything. Does that mean im down with the kids, hip to the swing and street?

You can "shucks" all you like Steve. I still dont agree with the WD40 on a belt. lol.

Thats the first time i have put lol on anything. Does that mean im down with the kids, hip to the swing and street?

Er, no.

Anyway, a question. I've got a Vauxhall that's had a squeal from the aux belt for about a year. I've had the crankshaft pulley replaced, new belt and tensioner, still squeals. Someone said WD40, didn't work. I tried V belt spray, didn't work. After reading this last night I thought I'd try chalk, instantly the squeal stopped!

Not exactly a Lexus question of course, although it could apply. What causes the squeal (assuming the belt's tight) and is it likely to be the fact that I used a pattern part pulley?

Phil

Er, no.

Anyway, a question. I've got a Vauxhall that's had a squeal from the aux belt for about a year. I've had the crankshaft pulley replaced, new belt and tensioner, still squeals. Someone said WD40, didn't work. I tried V belt spray, didn't work. After reading this last night I thought I'd try chalk, instantly the squeal stopped!

Not exactly a Lexus question of course, although it could apply. What causes the squeal (assuming the belt's tight) and is it likely to be the fact that I used a pattern part pulley?

Phil

Press your fingers onto a clean work top or polished surface and pull. you will probably get a squealing noise as your fingers grip and loose grip. Its the same thing. The chalk adds friction, causes more grip and thus no noise.

Pattern parts might not be exactly the same as original and hense loss of grip.

Original equipement Landrover Mk1 Disco auxilary belts are notorious for squealing because they were such poor quality. So what did Landrover do? Offered a better belt as "an option" to the cheap one.

I kid you not. I went to buy a new Aux belt from the Landrover "main dealer" no less and was asked "do you want the one that squeals or the more expensive one that doesnt?" ....and the more expensive one was still under £20.

Er, no.

Phil

Press your fingers onto a clean work top or polished surface and pull. you will probably get a squealing noise as your fingers grip and loose grip. Its the same thing. The chalk adds friction, causes more grip and thus no noise.

Original equipement Landrover Mk1 Disco auxilary belts are notorious for squealing because they were such poor quality. So what did Landrover do? Offered a better belt as "an option" to the cheap one.

I kid you not. I went to buy a new Aux belt from the Landrover "main dealer" no less and was asked "do you want the one that squeals or the more expensive one that doesnt?" ....and the more expensive one was still under £20.

After making dinner a clean worktop wasn't an easy thing to find, but I see what you mean. I've also heard that about the Landrover belt. With my Vauxhall the noise goes when everthing warms right up so I suppose the belt becomes a bit more supple and sticky.

Well, if the squeal continues, I'll just have to rough it and keep on using the Lexus. Bit difficult to get tools and stuff in though, shame Toyota didn't make an LS estate.

Er, no.

Phil

After making dinner a clean worktop wasn't an easy thing to find, but I see what you mean. I've also heard that about the Landrover belt. With my Vauxhall the noise goes when everthing warms right up so I suppose the belt becomes a bit more supple and sticky.

Well, if the squeal continues, I'll just have to rough it and keep on using the Lexus. Bit difficult to get tools and stuff in though, shame Toyota didn't make an LS estate.

My thoughts exactly. An ls400 estate would be superb :)

Belt dressing spray worked for me.

WD40 on the pulley bearing perhaps.

Is the tension too high on the belt?

We put chalk on drawer sliders as a sliding aid! It stops the screech.

The tension seems OK, it's got an automatic tensioner. Interesting to see how long chalk lasts. I'd best be careful in case I turn this into a Vauxhall forum!! :hehe:

PS

I've been a furniture maker for many years, the best thing by far that I've found for drawers is cockpit shine, works a treat!

Try putting wax on the draw sliders (or runners) white caddles are best because they dont leave a visible line. It will work much better than chalk.

Try putting wax on the draw sliders (or runners) white caddles are best because they dont leave a visible line. It will work much better than chalk.

:offtopic:

Even so, still not as good as cockpit shine!

:offtopic:

Even so, still not as good as cockpit shine!

OK OK OK! Cockpit shine is best. I give in.

But when i served my apprentiship in the 70s/80s (cabinet making) we didnt have Cockpit spray and all the old guys had a piece of candle wax in their apron pocket. There; now you have made me say "apron" and everyone will think that all cabinet makers are cross dressers. Which they arent....its the french polishers who were the cross dressers!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links