Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

400H Remote Engine Start

Thanks for the useful/helpful response Duncan, much appreciated

Um, in answer to that...

Because it starts the car remotely!!

Sarcasm aside, I would find it useful to avoid having to go down to the car outside when icy/fogged up turning it on. Then going back up to the house and waiting.

Maybe it's just lazy but any time extra in bed or having to brave elements, for me is a gift!

If anyone has any constructive answers please let me know

Thanks for the useful/helpful response Duncan, much appreciated

Um, in answer to that...

Because it starts the car remotely!!

Sarcasm aside, I would find it useful to avoid having to go down to the car outside when icy/fogged up turning it on. Then going back up to the house and waiting.

Maybe it's just lazy but any time extra in bed or having to brave elements, for me is a gift!

If anyone has any constructive answers please let me know

But does this not risk upsetting your insurers? Unattended car, engine running, some little oik might well try to have his way with it - steering lock not withstanding.

Your insurers would refuse to pay out. Can't understand the lack of logic in people who insist on starting their cars on the driveway then go back inside to wait for it to defrost.

In my opinion insurers take a pretty idiotic view on remote start, it's not the same as starting your car on the drive and then going back inside and I think it's laughable to even mention the two in the same sentence.

The whole point in remote start is that the car is still locked and the alarm is armed - if any sort of break in occurs the engine dies, the car cannot be moved without the key in place.

I haven't come across any instances of the remote start feature being installed in UK cars myself, because the dealers probably wouldn't help and I don't know how insurance companies would react to it (although I do think most wouldn't allow it). I'd recommend speaking to your insurer before buying anything, and might be worth having a look on the US forums about this as I think it's an actual option over there.

Your insurers would refuse to pay out. Can't understand the lack of logic in people who insist on starting their cars on the driveway then go back inside to wait for it to defrost.

If you enjoy standing outside in the freezing cold defrosting your car, and then sitting in it freezing, that's fine. Or even if you enjoy sitting in it waiting for it to defog - great.

I prefer not to, especially when I am trying to get out the house with a one year old

In my opinion insurers take a pretty idiotic view on remote start, it's not the same as starting your car on the drive and then going back inside and I think it's laughable to even mention the two in the same sentence.

The whole point in remote start is that the car is still locked and the alarm is armed - if any sort of break in occurs the engine dies, the car cannot be moved without the key in place.

I haven't come across any instances of the remote start feature being installed in UK cars myself, because the dealers probably wouldn't help and I don't know how insurance companies would react to it (although I do think most wouldn't allow it). I'd recommend speaking to your insurer before buying anything, and might be worth having a look on the US forums about this as I think it's an actual option over there.

Thanks for a constructive reply!

I understand peoples "concerns" over the insurance, my question was initially to ascertain if it was actually an option.

I'll investigate, I think you're right as the remote start module I have seen is from the States.

Appreciate your post.

Do you think it makes any difference if you lock the car? A car engine running is enough to attract a thief's attention. Pop the window, either climb through it or disable the central locking via the inside handle, crack the steering lock and away you go while the owner is still supping their coffee while watching the TV. We had a spate of similar thefts around here over the winter and owners cried all day long when the insurers refused to pay out. Use your AC/CC on a hot setting while you scrapoe the window or blast it with de-icer and it takes very little time.

Blimey, what a unnecessarily emotive discussion. I've had cars in the US with remote start for exactly that and it was very useful. The car would start from a reasonable distance away (maybe 30yards), remain locked, alarmed, and the car wouldn't move off until the 'key' (a Keyless Go-style keyfob) was close to the car - a few feet, much closer than the range the remote start would work at. So about as secure as it is when parked and switched off, unless someone could trick the engine management into ignoring the absence of a key (in which case they're probably smart enough to get into the car anyway). It let me run the car for that useful few minutes to get the heating running, seats warmed up, break the back of the defrosting etc. An important factor is whether the engine management immobiliser is reliant on the key being physically in the ignition (as it is in a 400h, maybe easier in a 450h with keyless entry/go), as disabling/bypassing that requires messing with the immobiliser/engine management and a potential world of ensuing issues.

I'd like to have it over here in the UK, however I believe (and seems to be confirmed after a quick surf) that it's illegal in the UK to have an unattended car running (locked or otherwise) - definitely on public roads, not sure how far that applies off-road e.g. driveways, sometime the law applies more than you might think there as well. I would expect there's technically/legally no difference between an unattended car remotely started and one which has been manually started, then locked with a separate key whilst the owner nips back indoors while it defrosts. Which may be why we don't hear about remote start much in the UK. There seem to be a few aftermarket kits/installers on the web - Falcon Predator gets a lots of hits - but doesn't say much about compatible vehicles or the Law.

Simpler and cheaper to get a small heater that plugs into the 12v socket and leave that blasting away off the Battery power. There's no law against leaving an unaccompanied vehicle running on your driveway or private property, but as you point out, there is on the public highway.

Do you think it makes any difference if you lock the car? A car engine running is enough to attract a thief's attention. Pop the window, either climb through it or disable the central locking via the inside handle, crack the steering lock and away you go while the owner is still supping their coffee while watching the TV.

This doesn't apply with remote start, if the locks, windows, etc are tampered with the engine will cut out straight away. And as above the car cannot be driven away without the key present.

There could not have been similar thefts as it is impossible - I think you're confusing the issue of remote start with people that just start their cars, leave the keys in the car and then go back inside, which of course is quite stupid :)

This is for the new RX, but I'm impressed it only costs $375! LINK

If you enjoy standing outside in the freezing cold defrosting your car, and then sitting in it freezing, that's fine. Or even if you enjoy sitting in it waiting for it to defog - great.

I prefer not to, especially when I am trying to get out the house with a one year old

I do think that you are overstating the case, rather defensively. Defrosting takes little time, especially if you spray on de-icer then go back for that last cup of coffee. The one year old can be brought out last when you are ready to set off - hardly old enough to create mayhem if left for a couple of minutes. If you dislike the cold so much as you represent why are you even going out? You can hardly wear a hot water bottle when walking down the street - or maybe you do!

I do think that you are overstating the case, rather defensively. Defrosting takes little time, especially if you spray on de-icer then go back for that last cup of coffee. The one year old can be brought out last when you are ready to set off - hardly old enough to create mayhem if left for a couple of minutes. If you dislike the cold so much as you represent why are you even going out? You can hardly wear a hot water bottle when walking down the street - or maybe you do!

I'm confused by your attitude to this, the technology exists (at quite reasonable cost) to alleviate this problem without the "workaround" you posted. It is used successfully in many parts of the world to great effect.

I'm not sure why so many seem to think technological advancement is a bad thing - I assume you don't use satnav either? I got around fine with maps before it came about, but now I prefer to use the nav - I don't need to but it's much easier. It's the same with remote start, I honestly can't believe some of the responses in this thread.

I'm confused by your attitude to this, the technology exists (at quite reasonable cost) to alleviate this problem without the "workaround" you posted. It is used successfully in many parts of the world to great effect.

I'm not sure why so many seem to think technological advancement is a bad thing - I assume you don't use satnav either? I got around fine with maps before it came about, but now I prefer to use the nav - I don't need to but it's much easier. It's the same with remote start, I honestly can't believe some of the responses in this thread.

What arrant nonsense. The debate here is whether remote starting is even needed, simply because it can be done does not make it necessary to do it. The technology exists for electric chairs but most people eschew having one of those.

I have been using satnav for at least twelve years, used intelligently but not slavishly it has a useful place.

What arrant nonsense. The debate here is whether remote starting is even needed, simply because it can be done does not make it necessary to do it. The technology exists for electric chairs but most people eschew having one of those.

I have been using satnav for at least twelve years, used intelligently but not slavishly it has a useful place.

That made me laugh, did you just liken remote engine start to the electric chair? And I'm the one talking nonsense :)

Fair enough each to their own of course. The discussion of whether something is "needed" is a massive can of worms. Anyone could argue you don't need electric/heated/memory seats, satnav, remote central locking, auto headlights, etc etc but I like having all of them.

What defines whether you need something or not? Your story about why you don't need remote start (spray de-icer, etc) only goes to prove that remote start can make one thing just a little bit easier.

Duncan.

I fully understand the nature of forums and the debate that generallly ensues.

However my post was not to discuss/debate whether remote start is even needed, but for information, not personal opinion on whether something is needed or not.

Just because you (and others) may not see it as useful doesn't make it any less useful to me, anyone else or indeed the people elsewhere in the world that have an option for remote start already.

I thank the posters who have actually provided information, including legality/insurance issues.

Perhaps Duncan, if you have nothing of actual use to the original post I'd suggest keeping away. :whistling:

Duncan.

I fully understand the nature of forums and the debate that generallly ensues.

However my post was not to discuss/debate whether remote start is even needed, but for information, not personal opinion on whether something is needed or not.

Just because you (and others) may not see it as useful doesn't make it any less useful to me, anyone else or indeed the people elsewhere in the world that have an option for remote start already.

I thank the posters who have actually provided information, including legality/insurance issues.

Perhaps Duncan, if you have nothing of actual use to the original post I'd suggest keeping away. :whistling:

The best thing that I can say to you is to learn to be civil in a public forum: Clearly civility is not a strong point. In any event offering you thoughts on the desirability might well be useful to many - whose thoughts may not have encompassed your obvious superior intellect. New members would do well to consider the manner of their conduct and adapt to the environment.

Not sure about remotely starting your RX, but to be honest i think its a little laziness or used to just 'show off'.

Why not get a good steering lock and go out and start your engine the old fashioned way, knowing that your car cant be taken?

Ok, then keys may get taken, but not if your sat watching it heat up.

As already stated, on a public road it is ILLEGAL leaving your car unattended whilst the engine is running, and is known as 'quitting'.

Police cars and ambulances in the UK have whats called 'run lock'.

These are activated by pressing a button on an already running engine, allowing you to remove the keys leaving it to run still.

The engine automaticaly dies if someone presses the clutch in or tries to select a gear.

These are designed so the police car/ambulance can be left running (with blue lights on) without running the Battery down, and the keys removed for safety.

It may be better/cheaper getting something like this.

Police cars and ambulances in the UK have whats called 'run lock'.

These are activated by pressing a button on an already running engine, allowing you to remove the keys leaving it to run still.

The engine automaticaly dies if someone presses the clutch in or tries to select a gear.

These are designed so the police car/ambulance can be left running (with blue lights on) without running the battery down, and the keys removed for safety.

It may be better/cheaper getting something like this.

That's the same as remote start, without the convenience of starting remotely. Also there is the added inconvenience that Lexus actually make an OEM remote start kit, but not what you've just described.

I don't get why we're going round in circles here :duh:

I'm not sure why Duncan is trying to give lessons in civility, with postings like "arrant nonsense" at someone with a differing opinion, the expression "Pot and kettle" springs to mind.

I'm not sure why Duncan is trying to give lessons in civility, with postings like "arrant nonsense" at someone with a differing opinion, the expression "Pot and kettle" springs to mind.

That term is not uncivil - strong maybe but stays on the correct side of the line. Had I suggested that only a fool could have that opinion then I would agree - I forebore so to do.

Well said. I'm sure we each have own own opinions on where civility has faded in and out of this thread.

Acabucca, do let us know if you get any further with this - my car's on a lease (and thus somewhat untouchable) for a while longer but if I buy it at the end this is something I'd be interested in.