Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello there. I've had my W210 Mercedes for about 5 years now and am bored with it. It's just turned over 250,000 miles and is getting a bit tired, it'll probably find its way to shed heaven in a few years, so I might as well get shut before I have to replace tyres, etc.

So I fancy wafting around in an LS400. I've looked at a few online and they all look lovely. I'm going to see a mate tomorrow who has a mate who works in a garage (still with me?), and he fancies selling his own LS. Apparently it's a 1992, about 80,000 miles. No more information than that other than all the important stuff has been done, cambelt, shocks, etc. As for price, well that hasn't been mentioned but I'm fairly sure he wants me to make him an offer.

So, anything to look out for? I'll be checking all the electrics, but is there anything lurking on a 1992 LS400 that I need to know about? Also, what are the ballpark figures for a below-average-mileage LS of that age, good/fair/poor condition?

Hello there. I've had my W210 Mercedes for about 5 years now and am bored with it. It's just turned over 250,000 miles and is getting a bit tired, it'll probably find its way to shed heaven in a few years, so I might as well get shut before I have to replace tyres, etc.

So I fancy wafting around in an LS400. I've looked at a few online and they all look lovely. I'm going to see a mate tomorrow who has a mate who works in a garage (still with me?), and he fancies selling his own LS. Apparently it's a 1992, about 80,000 miles. No more information than that other than all the important stuff has been done, cambelt, shocks, etc. As for price, well that hasn't been mentioned but I'm fairly sure he wants me to make him an offer.

So, anything to look out for? I'll be checking all the electrics, but is there anything lurking on a 1992 LS400 that I need to know about? Also, what are the ballpark figures for a below-average-mileage LS of that age, good/fair/poor condition?

Cambelt is done you say? Check for proof! It's not a big issue when it breaks(non interference engine) but a major job to change, or expensive to have done.

-Electrics are usually bullet proof on the LS.

-The climate control display is usually blacked out, but I can get you a replacement for this :)

-Look for leaks at the power steering pump. Common issue and can fry the alternator which is located under it.

-Take it for a drive and go over potholes. This will reveal the knocks and bangs of a worn suspension.

-When first started up, open the bonnet and listen for an exhaust leak noise between the engine and bulkhead. It it's there it means the EGR pipe is cracked. Not a big problem, but quite a fiddly job to do.

-With the engine running, push the A/C button and check if the revs go up. If they don't, the A/C compressor is not working.

-Engine and gearbox are bullet proof and will easily do 300,000+ miles.

I would not settle for the first LS, but have a good look around and drive a few.

Good luck

If you check the completed sales in Ebay, older LS400's are going for 3,4,5 hundred

:offtopic:

Hey mate, your car's twin sister is for sale in ayrshire :)

Having done the same as you, there are things you will miss about the W210 (depending on spec)but that will be outweighed by the things you will like about the LS :)

Andy

Well I won't miss the rust ;)

The LS I saw today was nice, but not for me. Mechanically sound but it had aftermarket alloys and a few minor scratches, some tears on the leather and generally a little bit tatty. It also had ditchfinder tyres on, which I'd have to replace. I'm going to keep looking.

I was impressed by the engine though, even though its one of the earlier LS engines it pulls well beyond 30.

Well I won't miss the rust ;)

The LS I saw today was nice, but not for me. Mechanically sound but it had aftermarket alloys and a few minor scratches, some tears on the leather and generally a little bit tatty. It also had ditchfinder tyres on, which I'd have to replace. I'm going to keep looking.

I was impressed by the engine though, even though its one of the earlier LS engines it pulls well beyond 30.

There are some really nice ones out there with no faults, or maybe just one or two niggly ones that aren;t the end of the world (MkIII radio backlighting anyone?). Mine is immaculte inside and out, and runs beautifully, and cost less than the 190E it replaced-and it has that same "hewn from granite" build quality of the Merc. I've looked around at other cars but none gave me the same pleasure that the LS does.

Good luck with your hunting

I went and had a quick look at this today:

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/vehicle.cfm?Account=AETA37006&Style=4&Id=AETV26259185&Make=LEXUS&Model=LS&City=Warrington

It hadn't been polished up (incoming part-ex). It looked pretty nice all over, a scuff on the nearside front wing leading edge and the chrome strip bent. The rear tyres were some cheapo brand, and only had a few thousand miles or so left. Something about it didn't quite gel, £3500 seemed too high, so I walked.

Really I'm after a private sale, something that's been fairly-well looked after, a good colour with cream interior would suit me. I'm in no rush.

I went and had a quick look at this today:

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/vehicle.cfm?Account=AETA37006&Style=4&Id=AETV26259185&Make=LEXUS&Model=LS&City=Warrington

It hadn't been polished up (incoming part-ex). It looked pretty nice all over, a scuff on the nearside front wing leading edge and the chrome strip bent. The rear tyres were some cheapo brand, and only had a few thousand miles or so left. Something about it didn't quite gel, £3500 seemed too high, so I walked.

Really I'm after a private sale, something that's been fairly-well looked after, a good colour with cream interior would suit me. I'm in no rush.

£3500 is indeed way too much and it's green. Not exactly the most sought after colour. Does it have to be a mkIV?

Not particularly, what I want, in rough order, is:

1) Looked after, mechanically sound and bodywork in decent order, can do 100mph with no wobbles etc

2) Quiet (no squeaks or rattles inside)

3) Toys in working order

4) Reasonable mileage, if it's a keeper I may convert it to LPG

The colour isn't really a big deal, although I really like the colour combo on this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201108380480142?logcode=face

Just factor in the next cambelt change cost and the dealer will be falling over himself to part you from your cash ! AND you will have a wonderful car to last you for years to come ( if that's what you want ).

Malc

1) Looked after, mechanically sound and bodywork in decent order, can do 100mph with no wobbles etc

3) Toys in working order

The colour isn't really a big deal, although I really like the colour combo on this:

Always walk if you are not happy and there is something that doesnt sit right with you.

There are some real corkers out there and many that dealers have that they will be only to happy to start knocking the £'s off with Petrol rising on what seems an hourly bassis.

Good luck I will keep my eye out for you ands PM with anything I find.

Regards Mike

That's the same colour as mine - looks the biz on a sunny day. I've certainly not regretted buying mine 18 months ago.

Pete

Unfortunately we don't get many of those up here :(

3) Toys in working order

There looks to be a real nice one on eBay at the mo light green black leather 80k on it 3 owners, start price £1000 no bids yet no reserve & finishes in 2 days. in cheshire.

The pale green one? Yeah I'd seen that but the advert doesn't do it any favours...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-LEXUS-LS400-GREY-AUTO-V8-4DR-FULLY-LOADED-/320665762205?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4aa92b399d#ht_19447wt_905

This one looks nice too. I've only been paying attention to them for a fortnight or so and I've seen half a dozen nice looking models, so I guess there are plenty to choose from.

The pale green one? Yeah I'd seen that but the advert doesn't do it any favours...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-LEXUS-LS400-GREY-AUTO-V8-4DR-FULLY-LOADED-/320665762205?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4aa92b399d#ht_19447wt_905

This one looks nice too. I've only been paying attention to them for a fortnight or so and I've seen half a dozen nice looking models, so I guess there are plenty to choose from.

You got to credit the guy for presentation and editorial. So refreshing to see a comprensive advert from those who have trouble stringing more than 6 words together and just include a picture of somebody elses car which is a completely different colour and model from the one they will never sell.

Mike

This one looks quite nice:

http://www.burnagemotors.co.uk/used-cars/lexus-ls-4-0-v8-4dr-auto-stockport-201110381889722

Although for the price they either haven't been able to shift it, or it's a bit tatty. I might pop by for a look tomorrow. I quite like the colour as well.

Sod it, I bought it. Pictures to follow when I collect it on Sunday. They took my old Merc so in essence I got it for £1600. It'll need three new tyres in a few months. The paintwork is generally pretty good, a few stonechips but they've all been painted with a brush. There's a minor dent on the nearside front wheelarch. The fanbelt is slipping slightly, but the engine is smooth and quiet. Everything works inside, I tested the lot and its all fine. Obviously didn't drive it long enough to see if the dash bulbs fail. I think the only thing it doesn't have is the folding mirrors.

Insurance company are raping me though, especially as I only renewed a month back. Still, you only live once, and I'd rather drive this and be raped for insurance than buy a new Citroen Picasso as my neighbours do.

My insurance company raped me too.

My insurance for my 3.0 MV6 Omega was £510 and when I got my LS, it went to £1189. I shopped around and got it cheaper though :)

I bet you are looking forward to Sunday :)

Mike

When I got the Merc in 2005 my insurance was about £550. Despite being IAM-qualified, doing only 15,000 a year max, no claims, no accidents, this year it went to £850. The annoying thing is that I've only just renewed and so its more expensive.

Really annoying, especially as I know its mainly those twerps who claim for whiplash that are responsible.

Hello,

Looks good to me. Service history and recent Cam belt change worth a lot as far as future expense is concerned. Looks like the wheels have been refurbed too.

I like the colour but obviously that is down to taste.

Insurance is steep but I suppose you suffer cos of being in Manchester, Makes my £287 premium look good, the one advantage of getting old.

Hope you enjoy your new car.

Pete

It has a stamped history up to 100,000 and then local garages after that. There's a bunch of invoices and receipts for various bits, like a new centre exhaust, aircon recharge etc. One of the invoices showed a "belt kit" for £100-ish and installation at about £500 total, that was at 110,000 a couple of years back. I'm presuming that was the cambelt change.

Congrats and welcome to the Lexus owners. Yours sounds like a decent car and I hope you'll be well chuffed with it. I personally like the colour - it's a subjective thing, I know - but ultimately condition is more important than colour.

My insurance went up drastically when I got mine, too (six months after renewing) but I had to stay with the AA until the next renewal because they would have charged me for cancelling. All I can say is: bite the bullet for now, shop around carefully at next renewal, and meanwhile remember that every year your neighbours are losing in depreciation on their Picasso what you payed for your Lex.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links