Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thanks, that's what I'm consoling myself with. I have to remember that in 2004 I paid about 18 grand for an Audi TT, so I really shouldn't complain about paying 2 grand (when I put new tyres on) for a Lexus. My mate bought a car-derived-van for work and he's paying more in depreciation than I am in insurance, so I really shouldn't worry. I'm just looking forward to nice, quiet, effortless motoring. Not that the Mercedes didn't provide that, but this is a step above.

Check the posts for tyre recommendations? I stuck with sourced-from-Japan Dunlops. (But got from local tyre fitters!)

There do seem to be others that folk like, like ....Kumho?etc.

There may even be some available here when people switch wheels, etc?

I think people get struts from yards, but I DO recall a post on here about them; check Archive?

What's the best option for new bonnet struts?

The only good option regarding struts is to replace them. They are a bit of a faff to remove and refit - and you will not want to do it more than if the scrap ones are not up to the job. They can also be regassed but the cost saving isn't woth the hassle IMHO.

I got mine from fleabay.

Yes that's the one, I drove it home today and got an indicated 30mpg which isn't bad, of course the true test will be brim-brim.

I'll run the car for a month or so and if everything is ok it'll be converted to LPG. I'd be daft not to, the conversion would pay itself back in less than two years.

A couple of minor things I've spotted is that the bonnet corner nearest the driver (just under the windscreen) doesn't quite line up with the wing, it's about half an inch high. Is there an adjustment for that? The second thing is that the engine seems as though its hunting/stumbling ever so slightly at idle, when driving its perfect. Is there an idle control valve or similar to clean, throttle bodies, etc?

The steering wheel wobbles slightly at about 70mph but it needs new tyres anyway so I'll leave that for now.

The above minor things aside, it is an extremely impressive car and I'm very happy with it. Here's a picture of it outside my house, I'll do some proper ones in a bit. The bonnet is ajar because I've got the Battery on charge - they had the boot open for a few days as it was wet, so the Battery was pretty low.

5543266220_55c00c2979_b.jpg

Wet boot not uncommon. try using silicone sealant around (under) the rubber edging of boot. Messy but usually enough.

It CAN be water ingress via light fitting. same solution.

Shaky steering wheel probably -I hope!- the tyres.

Sorry i must comment on the boot struts thing, as I too have this problem. I would replace them, but they are only weak, not useless, so the bonnet stays fully up at first, and then very very slowly falls. And it is just too funny to see my mechanic bang his head on it every time. :)

Don't think so, the later type have different mountings.

Quelle surprise.

Next time someone with a 97-2000 model has their bonnet up, do you fancy having a quick peek at the struts to see if they obviously have screw on/off fittings at one or both ends? I just changed the tailgate struts on my Granny Estate, and they had a screw-on bracket on one end, and a pre-fitted "hoop" at the other.

Do Lexus grind the part numbers off the struts? I can't imagine they're bespoke items.

I'm sure they're not, but the best price I can find for 1994-5 struts is 60 quid + vat + postage. Hence my question; if the newer ones can easily be adapted to fit, then I'd rather pay £52 for the pair delivered than £72 + P&P...

On the other hand, if they're utterly different, then it ceases to be cost effective to billy bodge one onto t'other...

Do Lexus grind the part numbers off the struts? I can't imagine they're bespoke items.

I'm sure they're not, but the best price I can find for 1994-5 struts is 60 quid + vat + postage. Hence my question; if the newer ones can easily be adapted to fit, then I'd rather pay £52 for the pair delivered than £72 + P&P...

On the other hand, if they're utterly different, then it ceases to be cost effective to billy bodge one onto t'other...

I've heard of people using the struts from a Jaguar XJ40 (Don't know if it's a fact though)

I have a set of those in the shed ;)