Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Forced Decision Could Be Happening

Hi everyone. I have discovered today that due to economic circumstances beyond my control I will probably have to look at letting my LS400 go in the next month or so as well as another car. Could some of the knowledgable sages on here give me an idea as to guide price? I'd rather not have to sell it to a trader if I can help it.

**EDITED so as not to appear to be an ad.**

You will find that any other car will cost far more in maintenance than your LS would ever cost ................... one good reason to hang on to it if you possibly can.

Tough decisions I know are here for you and I wish you well and hope that you make the right one :unsure:

Light footed on the accelerator might make a huge difference to the fuel costs too.

Best wishes anyway.

I can't imagine being without my LS

Malc

Thanks all - I really don't want to let it go purely because I've become quite attached to it. The problem is that it is likely that I will have to look to a major city for employment. For me that means Manchester. It'll mean a round trip of around 120 miles each day. I'll put it up and see how it goes. I realise that fuel prices are high but hopefully there will still be one or two people out there who are the older type who can afford the insurance and will probably run it as a second/third car.

But to be honest the car is not at the top of the list at the moment. I need to start making some other changes and sharpish.

What would you replace the Lexus with?, I have a K reg fiat Panda, its worth as much as my K reg LS400, I know which one I would rather drive in a 120 mile commute.

You have done the LS up, it will be cheaper to run than anything, apart from fuel. Work out the cost of commuting over 5 years, go for a LPG conversion.

The price of these cars has collapsed, maybe the LPG boys will be reducing their proces....

While the price of fuel is becoming rather worrying, it's only part of the total cost of running a car. One of the biggest factors is depreciation, and most of our LSs aren't going to lose much more of their value. (On Autotrader at the moment there's a 2008 LS460L Hybrid (new cost approx. £100,000) for sale at offers above £36,000; that means it's depreciated £25,000 per year!)

On a long run, driven gently, I get more than 30mpg from my LS400, and I'm not sure that a smaller car, with an engine having to work harder, would do significantly more than that. And then there's the comfort: as I get older, the ability to do a long journey without feeling totally knackered afterwards seems like more of a necessity than an extravagance...

All of which are excuses to keep my LS, and I hope I'm never in the position of having to consider getting rid of it. So good luck with your decision-making.

I don't know if anyone else experiences this but I have always found that driving a car with a large engine seems to have a calming effect on the way you drive. No point blasting away from traffic lights as there is nothing to prove to other road users as most know your driving a car with a powerful engine yet when I drive my sons car which is an Focus RS ST whatever, you know what I mean, Init, Model in Black, has completely the opposite effect on me and all I wont to do is but my foot down and start proving myself and the car. Theres nothing in the car telling me to do this and theres nothing in the Handbook either.

When driving the Lexus you are cocooned in leather and wood, couple that with the smooth powerful acceleration and immediately your foot treats the loud pedal very gently making fuel last a lot longer and everything is right with the world.

The calming effect works at double the rate on me as my LS400 also runs on LPG so not even expensive at todays record petrol prices.

Would be interested to find out if this calming effect is the same for other people as well.

Mike

I don't know if anyone else experiences this but I have always found that driving a car with a large engine seems to have a calming effect on the way you drive. No point blasting away from traffic lights as there is nothing to prove to other road users as most know your driving a car with a powerful engine yet when I drive my sons car which is an Focus RS ST whatever, you know what I mean, Init, Model in Black, has completely the opposite effect on me and all I wont to do is but my foot down and start proving myself and the car. Theres nothing in the car telling me to do this and theres nothing in the Handbook either.

When driving the Lexus you are cocooned in leather and wood, couple that with the smooth powerful acceleration and immediately your foot treats the loud pedal very gently making fuel last a lot longer and everything is right with the world.

The calming effect works at double the rate on me as my LS400 also runs on LPG so not even expensive at todays record petrol prices.

Would be interested to find out if this calming effect is the same for other people as well.

Mike

I know exactly what you mean. Untill recently I also had a BMW Z3 2.8 and although it was very fast, I always had the urge to floor it. When driving the Ls, my brain is set to cruise-mode :)

Hi

Having seem my new LS400, my friend is looking to buy one, so PM some details if you are still wanting to sell it. But I hope for you that you have decided to keep it.

The fuel price increases are not for LS400's only, every car owner is having to pay a lot more now than they ever have, but personally I feel compensated for the slightly extra I pay on fuel to run my Lex by the sensational drive that makes me grin from ear to ear!

Regards

Stu

Mike

I know exactly what you mean. Untill recently I also had a BMW Z3 2.8 and although it was very fast, I always had the urge to floor it. When driving the Ls, my brain is set to cruise-mode :)

Jekyll and Hyde, I'm afraid. I waft around some of the time, particularly commuting and with passengers. Still put the boot in quite a lot though. It's great to have a car that is both silent comfortable cruiser and nutter incentive.

Hi

Having seem my new LS400, my friend is looking to buy one, so PM some details if you are still wanting to sell it. But I hope for you that you have decided to keep it.

The fuel price increases are not for LS400's only, every car owner is having to pay a lot more now than they ever have, but personally I feel compensated for the slightly extra I pay on fuel to run my Lex by the sensational drive that makes me grin from ear to ear!

Regards

Stu

The fuel prices are not so much an issue to those who are familiar with the Ls400. When a 'normal' person sees a 4.0ltr V8 advertised, they will most likely not click on the ad. They probably think it's doing 10-15 mpg.

Little do they know :)

Mike

Jekyll and Hyde, I'm afraid. I waft around some of the time, particularly commuting and with passengers. Still put the boot in quite a lot though. It's great to have a car that is both silent comfortable cruiser and nutter incentive.

I must admit that I do floor it from time to time, but usually only when overtaking.

I agree that the Lexus effect is calming. I think it's to do with the quietness, smoothness, sense of insularity from the road, the power (if you need it), and the general feeling that the car's never straining. I rarely do more than 2000 r.p.m., and that sort of speed it's barely any noisier than at idle. Add auto transmission and cruise control and you have the recipe for a very relaxing drive. Putting your foot down to overtake quickly is useful and satisfying, but I tend to keep my trip display on 'current mpg', which keeps my right foot as light as a feather...

Mike

Totally agree with the calming effect. I drove from Sussex down to Somerset, in no rush, with my dog in the front footwell, so relaxing that when I got there I had to wake the dog up!!

:sleeping:

Calming it sure can be .... and if for nothing else you should keep the Lexus ........ I had a journey from hell last year down to Devon from Kent, a 3 hr journey max took 7.5 hrs ! Just traffic queues on the motorways and without a stop ( apart from in the queue ) I felt just so untired and comfortable and totally calm when I arrived there.

Maybe that's my age tho' :hehe::unsure:

If there's any possibilty of hanging on in there with the LS then I'm sure you know that you should.............. and that you will............... value is probably right on the floor now with fuel prices forecast to cause mayhem ............. and the LPG conversion will cost you as much again as you have already spent and as much as the car might be ( sadly ) worth.

A dreadful decision for you and one that I'm so grateful not having to make at this time.

Best wishes with it all.

Malc

Hi everyone. I have discovered today that due to economic circumstances beyond my control I will probably have to look at letting my LS400 go in the next month or so as well as another car. Could some of the knowledgable sages on here give me an idea as to guide price? I'd rather not have to sell it to a trader if I can help it.

**EDITED so as not to appear to be an ad.**

I have just done a quick calculation for you, If you are doing 120 miles a day say 30,000 a year. at an average of 22mpg the savings per year converting to lpg at current prices £1.28 petrol 76p gas, calculateing in that you may use 20% more gas ( I find 10% is about right on my ls). You will save £2313 a year on your fuel bill. You can get a multi point conversion done in Preston for £1200 so it will pay for itself in 7 months. Also your car would be worth £2200 to £2500 gas converted. Also the higher the petrol prices go the bigger the difference money wise to gas so the higher the saving.

No brainer for me drive a 50k car new or a 15k car new for less running costs.

The argument against it is you could buy a suzuki wagon r convert that to gas & hate every minuite of driving it ( be cheap to run though).

my ls400 stayed on the drive for 2 months while i considered scrapping it due to an mot failure, i figured it was time to change to a deisel, I was of course wrong test drove a few to do my commute 170 miles each way done weekly. so i hired some deisels they all did aout 33 to 34 to the gallon cruising @90+ I borrowed:

Saab 3.5 tdi (bloody uncomfortable)

Merc c Class (A Taxi)

Merc E350 Blue efficiency. Advertised @ 45MPG (I got 34mpg)

Audi A7 Sportsback (brilliant but suffers from Wind noise at 90+, 35MPG)

Merc 350CLS (suffers from wind noiselike the A7, still 35MPG)

Bottom line I Bought an old 93 LS400 with 100k on the clock,It does 28MPG but believe me it is still better than all of the above and they were all new builds with less than 5k on the clock. (its just not worth changing for 5MPG)

Stop driving it by all means, but dont get rid of it you will regret it

I was there 6 months ago. Still am in some respects. I bought a Rover 75 CDT for the cheaper running. Within a month it needed an alternator = £308. It also had 70% tyres. Good i thought, lots of miles in them so more savings. Wrong! ive done about 4k miles and 2 of them are almost shot.

I still have the LS and love every minute i drive in it.

I still have the Rover and its ok (48mpg over the last 2 weeks/712 miles) but its proved less reliable and heavy on tyres. By the way: i still have it as the family second car becasue the Freelander packed up.

Ive come to understand that fuel is only one factor. 1 big repair bill can wipe out the saving a diesel might bring.

If you have the money, my advice would be convert to LPG and haggle like mad for a good price on the conversion. I deal with the finances of small businesses every day and most are hungry for work.

Good luck mate. I feel for you.

Well to bring this back on topic for a bit :P

I've stuck an ad on Pistonheads so lets see where we go from here. On the basis that a buyer will always knock the price down I've put it up for a bit more than has been discussed here. I've also been to a trader - who has checked it over and is more than happy to sell it for me for a fee. Spent about an hour with him, got some really useful tips and he seemed to feel it would go given its condition and provenance but it may take three or four weeks. I've met quite a few over the years and this one was refreshingly different - an ex F1 engineer. It was very relaxed, no hard sell either. I would feel very comfortable letting him have a go for me.

Well to bring this back on topic for a bit :P

I've stuck an ad on Pistonheads so lets see where we go from here. On the basis that a buyer will always knock the price down I've put it up for a bit more than has been discussed here. I've also been to a trader - who has checked it over and is more than happy to sell it for me for a fee. Spent about an hour with him, got some really useful tips and he seemed to feel it would go given its condition and provenance but it may take three or four weeks. I've met quite a few over the years and this one was refreshingly different - an ex F1 engineer. It was very relaxed, no hard sell either. I would feel very comfortable letting him have a go for me.

Re the motor trader; Im sure there is a trust worthy SH motor trader somewhere, but i have never met him.

Those i have had dealings with are either rude arragant a***holes or smooth "im an honest trader" but im going to shaft you all the same smoothies.

But im just bitter. I have a "really nice, just like new, proper car this one, perfect, nothing wrong with it" Freelander that has been sitting on my drive for 5 months with a broken transmission.

I hope you guy is different.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links