Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Fluid Change

paul_k

My car has been serviced for the last 6 years by Lexus and they now advising me that I need the brake fluid changed (for the first time)at additional cost on top of the service price as they say it is not included as part of the 60,000 mile 6 year major service.

According to my Service book a brake fluid replacement should occur every 2 years. This is also stated on their Health and Safety Schedule which lists all the items to be done.

I feel this is not acceptable and have formally asked Lexus for a response.

Anyone else not getting work done that is part of the service?

Car is a 2005 SC430 apologies for posting in this area but hoping for a response...

I think few dealers would replace the brake fluid every 2 years or 20,000 miles, despite what the Lexus service schedule states. I've heard of at least one that measures the amount of water that's been absorbed by the fluid and uses that measurement to determine whether to replace it or not. Perhaps you could check whether your dealer has been doing this?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When replacing the fluid, it makes a major difference for intensive brake users to replace it with high-end DOT5.1 fluid (not to be confused with DOT5, that's for special race braking systems!).

That said, your garage probably has a device to measure the boiling point of your brake fluid. If that boiling point is still within tolerance, there is no real need to replace the brake fluid. That is of course if the fluid reservoir is full (at MAX sign).

Consider the recommendation to replace your brake fluid every 2 years as best practice if you want to avoid all risks. It's not absolutely necessary.