Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sport Model - Lsd & Tints Question

domz

Hi there, newbie here looking to buy an is200 fairly soon. Considered a BM 3 series, but I hate the BMW image and fact they're so common these days. Love the look of the IS200, and I hear it does everything well except it's not a rocketship and it does guzzle petrol, both of which I'm not too bothered about.

Thing is, I am in a bother about which model to go for. Interior trim doesn't matter to me, but 2 things: I'd like the LSD diff on the Sport, but not the tinted rear windows. So, my questions are,

1) with an S or an SE, would it be possible to purchase an LSD and fit it? If so, what am I roughly looking at for the part and labor? I read somewhere £500 new, poss cheaper at a breakers yard. But I don't know how big a job it is for a garage?

and

2) if getting a SPORT, which I read has the LSD, I really hate the tinted boy racer /gangster wannabee look, and obviously the UK isn't tropical, it's not hot or bright enough to warrant them for any practical purpose, so.. are the windows actually tinted through and through, or is it a film that can be removed?

Thanks a lot for any helpful pointers or info!

Cheers

Dom

1) if you can get one from a breakers for £100ish you can fit it yourself very easily, and yes they fit.

2) the tints are really quite light and only the back windows anyway.

1) if you can get one from a breakers for £100ish you can fit it yourself very easily, and yes they fit.

2) the tints are really quite light and only the back windows anyway.

Thanks a lot Sparky, that's good to hear! I'm no mechanic though, I can just about manage changing wheels and bulbs. When I was younger I changed the exhaust and manifold on my Ford Fiesta, but that's it!! I reckon I'd better leave the drive-train to a pro :) Just off the top of your head how many hours labor do you reckon it should take a decent mechanic to do?

Tints arent that dark but the glass is tinted so probably too much hassle to swap the windows. I like the tint and im no gangster wannabe

Tints arent that dark but the glass is tinted so probably too much hassle to swap the windows. I like the tint and im no gangster wannabe

thanks Dinho, there's lots of gangster wannabees in this armpit that is London though! hehe , good to hear it's not too tinted, not totally blacked out then

Hi also a newbie,

Just bought an IS 200 sport on a 54 plate, i wouldnt worry about the tint at all... just doesnt seem worth it against finding, buying and fitting an LSD, Mind you i arent great with DIY, plus the sport has other nice cosmetic things.

love the car though defo buy one

Go for the sport rather then the se . I went for the sport in black and the tints are fine and suit the lexus imo . Ive always fancied an is200 and was told they are slow and juicy on fuel and was told right ! they are slow and very juicy for a 2.0l na . im a vehicle technician and owned type r civics , skylines , wrxs etc etc but now im getting older i needed a sensible car and so went for the is . i was going down the bmw 325/328 route but there very very common as already said and not many is200s about so went with it but tbh if i knew the lexus was gonna be this juicy for a slow car i would of gone the bmw route !! defo treat the car to a full geometry set up as it makes a big difference and will slow down on eating front tyre inner edges ! good luck and enjoy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links