Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Automatic Gearbox Problems

scadden

hope someone can help here as im in a right pickle.

Ive lost reverse and neutral on my Autobox, it drives in neutral and doesnt reverse at all when its selected, it just holds 2000rpm or sometimes pulls forward in reverse...Any ideas? cheers.

hope someone can help here as im in a right pickle.

Ive lost reverse and neutral on my Autobox, it drives in neutral and doesnt reverse at all when its selected, it just holds 2000rpm or sometimes pulls forward in reverse...Any ideas? cheers.

First job make sure enough trans fluid..vital.

If OK check if gear lever fixing is loose or has moved, putting the selections in the wrong place.

Its a 1994 reg, its got plenty of oil in it.

How do i check if the selector is loose?

Edit: The reverse lights are coming on.

'Plenty of fluid', won't do, must be exact level!

Should be pink,if it smells burnt or is very brown replace it.

There is a linkage connected to the gear lever, look underneath while someone moves the lever and confirm it is connected and moves through all the positions.

When in N the car should not start, if it does, the alignment for the inhibitor switch is wrong.

The throttle cable setting is also important as the throttle position switch changes voltage as speed rises.

If none of this is any use, the trans. has it's own diagnostic system and may show up some code.

There are solenoids controlling the transmission as well as fluid pressure etc., complicated!!

I'll have a look on the Mitchell Repair disk if you need assistance. From memory its Fluid level check > Cable check (esp kickdown) >selector check >PNR reset.

• 1 month later...

my car has same issue anyone have ideas

Craigp, what series LS?/ model year?

1990 toyota celsior i believe its known as an ls400 also?

First thing, if not already done so, check for a break in the wiring in the left trunk hinge.

You will have to examine them closely as it may look good from the outside.

Popular fault, causes all kinds of wierd problems

my car has same issue anyone have ideas

Craigp, what series LS?/ model year?

1990 toyota celsior i believe its known as an ls400 also?

First thing, if not already done so, check for a break in the wiring in the left trunk hinge.

You will have to examine them closely as it may look good from the outside.

Popular fault, causes all kinds of wierd problems

cheers mate ill have a look today see if i can find anything

• 4 months later...

'Plenty of fluid', won't do, must be exact level!

Should be pink,if it smells burnt or is very brown replace it.

There is a linkage connected to the gear lever, look underneath while someone moves the lever and confirm it is connected and moves through all the positions.

When in N the car should not start, if it does, the alignment for the inhibitor switch is wrong.

The throttle cable setting is also important as the throttle position switch changes voltage as speed rises.

If none of this is any use, the trans. has it's own diagnostic system and may show up some code.

There are solenoids controlling the transmission as well as fluid pressure etc., complicated!!

This thread may shed some light on my cars issue: here

"When in N the car should not start, if it does, the alignment for the inhibitor switch is wrong."

My car starts in 'N'

Is the inhibitor switch easy to check?

• 4 weeks later...

"When in N the car should not start, if it does, the alignment for the inhibitor switch is wrong."

My car starts in 'N'

Is the inhibitor switch easy to check?

Most autos will start in "P" or "N"; it's if it'll start in a gear you've got issues. I can't specifically remember if I've ever started the Lexus in "N".

• 7 years later...

Hi everyone i have this problem with my gearbox on a 4.0 lt non vvti 4speed automatic lexus v8 ....so some times it changes up to fast and it doesn'twhant to kick back down as you whant to go faster and when you slow down it stalls my van so i have to stop completely and put it in park then start and go or the time it doesn't stall it wil almost stall and the refs drop then it kicks back to 1st hard...or just simply stay in 2nd or 3rd gear when i whant to pull away again soo then i have to put it in 1st then pull away or park and switch off my van then start and select drive and go but the main problem is that the van is stalling when i drive and i slow down to stop can some one please give my advice as to resolve this issue...wayne

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 7:15 AM, Slaai said:

Hi everyone i have this problem with my gearbox on a 4.0 lt non vvti 4speed automatic lexus v8 ....so some times it changes up to fast and it doesn'twhant to kick back down as you whant to go faster and when you slow down it stalls my van so i have to stop completely and put it in park then start and go or the time it doesn't stall it wil almost stall and the refs drop then it kicks back to 1st hard...or just simply stay in 2nd or 3rd gear when i whant to pull away again soo then i have to put it in 1st then pull away or park and switch off my van then start and select drive and go but the main problem is that the van is stalling when i drive and i slow down to stop can some one please give my advice as to resolve this issue...wayne

Sounds like either ECU playing up, though not sure in 2004 model you would be seeing that.  Not aware 2004 model has 1UZ.

Other option the throttle body needs a jolly good clean, which worked to solve stalling on my LS.