Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx Beginner - Buying Advice Please

Hi Everyone,

I've currently got a company car (Audi A3 Sportback) that I'm giving back in order to swap onto a car allowance scheme. As such I'm looking for a car I'd actually choose rather than one I'm given!

I've always been a fan of SUV's - the Range Rover in particular but I can't afford one that won't be a complete lemon and cost a fortune to keep on the road (Read - any more than 6 months old lol) My research has LED me to a few candidates, one of which is the Lexus RX. I really like the specification (The more toys the better!) and the luxurious cabin/ride - if I go for an SUV I'd take comfort over off-road ability any day.

Today my wife and I went out for a road trip to look at some cars - not with a view to purchase yet, just to sit in an example of the model and give it the initial thumbs up/down. The Lexus was definitely one of the hits of the day along with (Very suprisingly) and 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland which was also a very pleasant cabin although not as luxurious as the Lexus (Also I'd question the Jeep's reliability in the long term)

So we know that the RX is definitely on the short-list so now it's down to the nitty-gritty. Which ones to avoid and which ones to look out for. From reading here I see there are 2 versions of the RX300 MK1 and MK2 - can anyone tell me what year the switch happened as I have read about gearbox problems on the MK1 and am obviously keen to avoid that.

Next up RX300 or RX350... there few thousand pounds between them and I don't know it's worthwhile. The only real factor for me is reliability - am I better off sticking to the 350 over say a '55 / '06 / '56 RX300?

Also SE or SE-L - from what I've read the major differences are air suspension (Which can be expensive) Mark Levinson CD-Player (Which can be expensive) and automatic tailgate (Which is just plain cool!) so is it a safer bet do we think going for an SE?

It's the 300 vs 350 bit that's got me stumped - do all 300's have gearbox issues or just the MK1 and if so when did they change over to the MK2.

I'm sure I'll have loads of questions and thank-you in advance for all your help!

Cheers,

Dan

Hi! had my MkII RX300 SEL for almost 5 years now. In the main very happy with it. Like you like the toys like the trick suspension and auto boot. Niggles would be:

1) Poor fuel economy. As low as 17mpg around town

2) Tyre wear. Couple of years back tracking was slightly out and it eat tyres

Over the time I've had it it has also had, part of rear suspension replaced because of leakage, new motor in sunroof as well as usual wear & tear items. Most recently though I get an occasional Error 4 message on the ML Stereo which means that CD's won't play, but it resets if I restart the engine.

On the whole I an happy with it. I can't comemnt about the RX350 though.

Hi! had my MkII RX300 SEL for almost 5 years now. In the main very happy with it. Like you like the toys like the trick suspension and auto boot. Niggles would be:

Over the time I've had it it has also had, part of rear suspension replaced because of leakage, new motor in sunroof as well as usual wear & tear items. Most recently though I get an occasional Error 4 message on the ML Stereo which means that CD's won't play, but it resets if I restart the engine.

Hi Damer,

Thanks for the reply, I'd be a bit worried that the trick suspension could land me in with a big repair bill (My folks have had Range Rovers with air suspension problems and the bills were huge!)

So you know when the RX300 became the MkII? I think from my research it's 2004 as on the Lexus website in the used section the cars that are pre-2004 have a 4 speed gearbox listed that I take is a MkI.

Petrol - yeah that's a worry, most of my driving is motorway mileage so hopefully I could achieve nearer 30mpg but to be honest the difference between say an RX doing 30 and something else doing 35mpg isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. It's a shame Lexus don't offer a diesel RX but then it might encroach on Landcruiser sales I guess?

The Landcruiser is another one in the running but reading the owners club website some of the D4D diesel engines are going bang because of bad fuel injectors!! That's very worrying to say the least!

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

One thing to consider is dealer repair and service costs which can be really rather steep, to the point of being outrageous for some things. As a long term bet many people turn to the extended warranty to avoid unexpected bills but as a reflection of the labour rates/part prices this is also expensive compared to other "prestige" brands. For example the 2 year extended warranty on an Rx is £1850 compared to Audi's £1335 for a Q7 which is a car of comparable value.

Unity.

Hi Everyone,

I've currently got a company car (Audi A3 Sportback) that I'm giving back in order to swap onto a car allowance scheme. As such I'm looking for a car I'd actually choose rather than one I'm given!

I've always been a fan of SUV's - the Range Rover in particular but I can't afford one that won't be a complete lemon and cost a fortune to keep on the road (Read - any more than 6 months old lol) My research has led me to a few candidates, one of which is the Lexus RX. I really like the specification (The more toys the better!) and the luxurious cabin/ride - if I go for an SUV I'd take comfort over off-road ability any day.

Today my wife and I went out for a road trip to look at some cars - not with a view to purchase yet, just to sit in an example of the model and give it the initial thumbs up/down. The Lexus was definitely one of the hits of the day along with (Very suprisingly) and 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland which was also a very pleasant cabin although not as luxurious as the Lexus (Also I'd question the Jeep's reliability in the long term)

So we know that the RX is definitely on the short-list so now it's down to the nitty-gritty. Which ones to avoid and which ones to look out for. From reading here I see there are 2 versions of the RX300 MK1 and MK2 - can anyone tell me what year the switch happened as I have read about gearbox problems on the MK1 and am obviously keen to avoid that.

Next up RX300 or RX350... there few thousand pounds between them and I don't know it's worthwhile. The only real factor for me is reliability - am I better off sticking to the 350 over say a '55 / '06 / '56 RX300?

Also SE or SE-L - from what I've read the major differences are air suspension (Which can be expensive) Mark Levinson CD-Player (Which can be expensive) and automatic tailgate (Which is just plain cool!) so is it a safer bet do we think going for an SE?

It's the 300 vs 350 bit that's got me stumped - do all 300's have gearbox issues or just the MK1 and if so when did they change over to the MK2.

I'm sure I'll have loads of questions and thank-you in advance for all your help!

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan.

The Mk2 RX came in 2003 at the start of the 03 plate. The RX350 superceeded the RX300 at the end of 2005 I believe.

RX350 will give much better performance and very slight increase in fuel economy. Also more sound insulation and updated satnav.

SE models come with remote tailgate, leather and electric seats. Most have satnav/reversing camera fitted, definatly worth getting one of these.

If buying from a Lexus dealer, you will get their 1 year warranty, well worth it.

Not much goes wrong really. I have had an RX300 and now on an RX400h. Both have been faultless.

Go for it Dan, if you are happy with the running costs, high for any big SUV, then I am sure you will not regret it.

Hi

I ran RX 350 SE-L on 56 plate for 3 years and 50K miles. Only problems in that time were a squeaky glove box and rusty wiper arm - both fixed. I added the Lexus IPOD kit to it. It was a great car. The ML stereo was great.

Economy - short journeys about 18mp and steady motorway at 70 was about 27 if I recall. gets about 290 miles on a tank.

Air suspension - never had an issue but covered by extended warranty. also handy for lowering or raising the car.

4wd system - not sophisticated but coped with all muddy roads/ice/snow I threw at it.

Performance - surprisingly quick but still quiet. much quicker than 300

Costs - tyres lasted me about 18K and were £600 for all 4

Servicing was about £200 on average per service

If you don't do many ,iles and/or can afford the fuel - you will love the 350.

PM me if you have any other questions

Hi

I ran RX 350 SE-L on 56 plate for 3 years and 50K miles. Only problems in that time were a squeaky glove box and rusty wiper arm - both fixed. I added the Lexus IPOD kit to it. It was a great car. The ML stereo was great.

Economy - short journeys about 18mp and steady motorway at 70 was about 27 if I recall. gets about 290 miles on a tank.

Air suspension - never had an issue but covered by extended warranty. also handy for lowering or raising the car.

4wd system - not sophisticated but coped with all muddy roads/ice/snow I threw at it.

Performance - surprisingly quick but still quiet. much quicker than 300

Costs - tyres lasted me about 18K and were £600 for all 4

Servicing was about £200 on average per service

If you don't do many ,iles and/or can afford the fuel - you will love the 350.

PM me if you have any other questions

Thanks Rillo, much appreciated B)

• 2 months later...

Had a 350SEL for 30mths/28k now - been the most reliable car I have ever had - only issues have been squeeks quickly fixed. I have an SEL for towing so I am opting for the extended warranty but the number of problems with these re air suspension has gone down in recent years. I love the suspension as I set it down on the motorway and the car become much more stable.

Only issue with these cars is that the alloys can corrode badly but dealers generally replace even beyond warranty.

350 definitely worth it over the 300 - much quicker/responsive and better mpg but don't expect miracles here - 25-29mpg long haul at 70-80 is good and it will go down the min your are in town.

No idea what 2nd hand prices are these days - I got mine for a steal when they were unloading their stock in feb/mar 2009 ready for the 450.

Would talk with the dealer about a service plan - generally much cheaper and they will throw in the MOT. Interestingly I found big differences between the London dealers in the retail service costs but their service plans were all roughly the same. From memory mine for a small medium and large (40/50/70) was 1200 including MOTs.

rgds

Stephen

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Dan

Like you I fancied an RX and took the plunge in Feb, RX300se 59k on the clock never looked back since except its a bit thirsty, tank range upto 320 mls now was 290 when I first got it, must go on how you drive it. A lot of the RX toys are extra's mine has the auto open and close tail gate, auto mirrors etc but no sat nav reversing camera or parking sensors which are a must, will be fitting some of them shortly coz can't see bugger all when I'm reversing, shape change came in 03 to the smoother lines and more aero dynamic shape, rear quarter glass is the give away, stick to the latest Rx 05 maybe early 06 unless you have plenty of dosh coz after that the road tax is over £450, if your handy with the spanners it will cut the cost of maintainance down a bit, got my local garage to drop the oil and filter, I supplied the parts and they only charged me £25 and I got my book stamped to say the oil and filter was changed, did the other bits myself, air filter, pollen filter etc, I did the plug change as well, bit of a pain to do with no manual, but if your on a budget and have a bit of time on your hands and your not too bad with the spanners its worth it just to find out where everything is, I'd heard it's £300 for a plug change, I didn't fancy the RX300sel thought there was to much to go wrong air suspension auto leveling etc, you may have already bought one or made your mind up either way hope this helps.

Regards Ian

Hi Damer,

Thanks for the reply, I'd be a bit worried that the trick suspension could land me in with a big repair bill (My folks have had Range Rovers with air suspension problems and the bills were huge!)

So you know when the RX300 became the MkII? I think from my research it's 2004 as on the Lexus website in the used section the cars that are pre-2004 have a 4 speed gearbox listed that I take is a MkI.

Petrol - yeah that's a worry, most of my driving is motorway mileage so hopefully I could achieve nearer 30mpg but to be honest the difference between say an RX doing 30 and something else doing 35mpg isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. It's a shame Lexus don't offer a diesel RX but then it might encroach on Landcruiser sales I guess?

The Landcruiser is another one in the running but reading the owners club website some of the D4D diesel engines are going bang because of bad fuel injectors!! That's very worrying to say the least!

Thanks,

Dan

You will struggle to get near 30mpg out of an RX300, I doubt an RX350 is that much better. RX400 will achieve that consistently.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links