Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Consumption

I have had my rx400 for 3 months. having purchased it in jan 2011. Service at lexus hatfield was fantastic.The car is marvellous to drive.The only problem is fuel 23-26 mpg. This is not acceptable in this day and age.I was sold it to return 36 mpg. Yes, I have been miss sold big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My computer read out is showing 28.4 mpg at the moment. That is mostly urban driving. During last summer it was showing around 32 mpg with mixed driving. Can't see me getting any better than these figures. I don't drive for good fuel consumption.

Some good economy runs recently in better weather and am getting 32mpg.

Re your initial question '23-26 mpg... is not acceptable in this day and age', well, although I think your's is a bit low, the RX400h's economy is pretty good compared to petrol cars of similar performance/refinement, and once you've learned how to drive it to exploit the hybrid you can see noticeable improvements.

The manufacturer's official figures (always assume optimistic given the test profile) are:

Urban MPG = 30

Urban MPG Auto = 40

Combined MPG Auto= 34.9

So if a Lexus dealer sold it to return 36 mpg, and you've got that written down somewhere, then you have been mis-sold and should put in a claim. Let us know how that goes...!

Hi, I've had my rx400h for 2 months now and I've averaged 28.6 so far, doing a mix of all sorts of driving. It's definitely showing signs of improving now that the weather's warming up a bit, and I reckon it'll gradually head towards 30+ in the next couple of months. I'd be very surprised to get to 36 though!

The manufacturer's official figures (always assume optimistic given the test profile) are:

Urban MPG = 30

Urban MPG Auto = 40

Combined MPG Auto= 34.9

Er, that don't make any sense....where did the "auto" nomenclature come from, there is ONLY auto RXs. I think you got your list mixed about a bit.

Urban MPG = 30

Urban MPG Auto = 40

Combined MPG Auto= 34.9

Er, that don't make any sense....where did the "auto" nomenclature come from, there is ONLY auto RXs. I think you got your list mixed about a bit.

Er... indeed, it doesn't, does it?! I grabbed them off the first website that came up: http://www.usedcarexpert.co.uk/cars/lexus/rx/specs-stats/mpg, only really paid attention to the Combined figure, I assumed the others were urban and extra urban, but didn't check the words. Beats me what it meant - doesn't make much sense for an auto - even CVT - to be that much better than a manual, if one even existed.

OK, http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/usedcar/vehicleDetails.asp?id=59023 says

Fuel Consumption - Imperial [mpg]

Imperial Urban (cold) 31.0

Imperial Extra Urban 37.2

Imperial Combined 34.9