Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone! I have just today taken collection of my first Lexus, a GS450h SE-L 06 plate with 50k miles. Having now driven it with a few open roads, can someone tell me if the following is normal:

Whether driving with the power button depressed or not, foot down in drive gives a power of 152kW and goes no higher. Even in S transmission mode, this is the max. The only time I can get it to ~240kW is using kick-down, ie. pressing the accelerator down further once already down to press the kick down button.

It just seems strange that 152kW is max unlesss the kickdown is used?

Your help is much appreciated, and once again, hi to all LOC members!

Addition:

Now that I've driven this a little more, wow this thing flies!!! I think it's as quick as my wife's Audi S4!

Hi everyone! I have just today taken collection of my first Lexus, a GS450h SE-L 06 plate with 50k miles. Having now driven it with a few open roads, can someone tell me if the following is normal:

Whether driving with the power button depressed or not, foot down in drive gives a power of 152kW and goes no higher. Even in S transmission mode, this is the max. The only time I can get it to ~240kW is using kick-down, ie. pressing the accelerator down further once already down to press the kick down button.

Addition:

Now that I've driven this a little more, wow this thing flies!!! I think it's as quick as my wife's Audi S4!

Addition:

Hi and a warm welcome to LOC

I find mine varies on the power output, think it depends on available charge in the Battery pack, mine sometimes goes right around on the clock but next time about where yours shows, take no notice, way too much info available ! enjoy the car and smile at the economy for a large fast car. I find mine a little too sharp with the PWR button pressed so I run with suspension set to sport which sharpens the throttle but not by so much (preserves the rear tyres !)

Tony

Tony

Many thanks for your comments. The car that I've bought comes with a three month warranty so I'm just trying to learn what's normal or otherwise. I know Lexus repairs aren't cheap! Just out of curiosity, how does one know if a Battery cell is failing? My car nearly five years old and I've heard of cases of single cells needing replacing.

Never heard of cell replacement on these, warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles but Lexus seem very good if a problem occurs after but that said I do extent my Lexus warranty coz there is a lot to go wrong if it does! About a grand a year but that is small beer compared to the depreciation suffered by the previous owner/ tax man as you can bet it was a company car.

Mine gets better with age, now over 100,000 miles, seems to hold Battery charge better and returns better MPG, last tank averaged over 40 ! I worried about the batteries when I bought it over 2 years ago but decided to trust the clever Japs and have never looked back since, just ignore all the displays now and enjoy the car.

It's really difficult ignoring the displays because it's like driving a spaceship! When you're new to one, it's difficult to not keep watching when the engine's providing power, when the Battery is being charged, current Battery charge etc. In rthe first 100 miles I've done, i've only managed 23.5 mpg as yet. I must have a heavy right foot! I've got to say though, I think this is one of the biggest stealth vehicles on the road. I had no idea just how quick these can be until I researched it before buying one. There's not many things that come close.

It's really difficult ignoring the displays because it's like driving a spaceship! When you're new to one, it's difficult to not keep watching when the engine's providing power, when the battery is being charged, current battery charge etc. In rthe first 100 miles I've done, i've only managed 23.5 mpg as yet. I must have a heavy right foot! I've got to say though, I think this is one of the biggest stealth vehicles on the road. I had no idea just how quick these can be until I researched it before buying one. There's not many things that come close.

I've driven mine for 85,000 miles and so am very used to it, it now averages 40MPG mixed driving an every fill up, using cruise control set at 75 works for me and I no longer have that wave of dread when I see a camera van. Not an expensive car to run!

I had the same concerns when I first had the car. I couldnt get it over around 150kW. I discoverd later that the pedal needs to be pressed further.

I've had the car nearly two years now, and not heard of or seen the button under the accelarator untill having read your post and taken a look at it.

So basically it's a 200hp car with an on off switch for the extra 140hp. Now I understand why the rear end can get a little squirly when not accelarating in a straight line.

Am I correct to think that pressing the button dumps power from the batteries into the electric motor?

What would happen if the button was pressed by something other than the accelarator pedal when at lower power?

Many thanks for your comments. The car that I've bought comes with a three month warranty

If you bought from a dealer forget the "3 month warranty" as you are covered for 6 months under Sale of Goods Act.

One more observation to add.

The power meter starts to read more than 150kw as the car gets to higher speeds, without having the overdrive button pressed. I've not noticed before since I don't normally look at the dials at high speed, too busy looking way up the road for any potential dangers, but the post re-ignited my interest.

Accelarate hard without kickdown from low speed and the dial sits at about 150kw until high speed, then starts to rise slowly as speed increases further.

Thanks for your comments everyone. Having had the car for a few weeks, I genuinely feel it is an excellent all round car with comfort and acceleration that not many can match. When I was driving home on a motorway late one night, I was testing the cruise control and fuel efficiency. I found that at 80mph set on cruise, I would average 29mpg (over a 30mile distance). Any comparisons with fellow GS450h owners? I get the feeling with this car that the mpg figures are dramatically affected by the amount of 'free-wheeling' in your driving style where the engine is not used. Hence on the motorway with cruise on, the engine was running constantly and the mpg figure reflected this.

Thanks for your comments everyone. Having had the car for a few weeks, I genuinely feel it is an excellent all round car with comfort and acceleration that not many can match. When I was driving home on a motorway late one night, I was testing the cruise control and fuel efficiency. I found that at 80mph set on cruise, I would average 29mpg (over a 30mile distance). Any comparisons with fellow GS450h owners? I get the feeling with this car that the mpg figures are dramatically affected by the amount of 'free-wheeling' in your driving style where the engine is not used. Hence on the motorway with cruise on, the engine was running constantly and the mpg figure reflected this.

I think I remember reading somewhere that using the cruse control is not good for fuel consumption, would be interesting if you could do the same journey, 30 miles at 80 mph and see if the m.p.g is the same. Let us no the result. What ever the outcome I think I would still use cruse control purely for comfort.

• 4 weeks later...

My 430 V8 averaged 30mpg Newcastle to Swindon 5 up with luggage. Mostly on cruise at 80ish.

I'm surprised the hybrid isn't much better - perhaps it's shorter journeys it has the advantage.

You don't really get any benefit from Hybrid on the motorway. The engine will always be running and the electric motors cannot really add much assistance. You are effectively driving a heavy GS350.

Get the speed down a bit and varied and you start to get the benefit.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links