Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hmm... when I bought my LS400, I made all the classic mistakes: I bought it sight-unseen from a vendor on eBay. I didn't get it checked out at any time before or after I bought it (I did buy the HPI report, just to be sure it wasn't stolen). Mine had 150k on the clock when I bought - by far the highest mileage car I've ever purchased - indeed, I've never had a car that reached 150k before!

I took the train down to meet the guy, went to his house, picked the car up & drove it straight home (250 miles), packed it full of stuff & drove it to Spain (600 miles - I cheated & used a ferry), pottered around Spain for 4 months, drove it home via France (1600 miles). Replaced a broken spring & did the same thing again next year. Replaced another broken spring. I've replaced the oil a couple of times, changed the plugs & leads, and I'm about to do the filters & oil again because, frankly, it's due.

In other words, I've treated her dreadfully. And, yet, apart from the misfire due to a broken plug lead, I've had no problems whatsoever. She ALWAYS starts, and ALWAYS gets me to my destination.

Utterly brilliant cars, IMHO. Buy a working one, and it'll easily last you the 40 days. Mine's almost at 200k miles now, and still feels newer than any other car I've ever driven.... including new ones.

I've read through this a couple of times, trying to work out what it's about. Victor, please don't be offended, but my worry is that this is part of a complex scam ....

"How much will I fetch if I just sell it to a dealer? 04 83,000 miles 3 owners incl. myself with full Lexus service history? many thx"

.... and that all along you're been sitting in Splott, in Cardiff, with an 03 83000 mile car with three owners that you can't shift for some reason, and that once 'your friend' has sold the car on to someone on here, you can disappear because you've "gone back to America"

Doesn't it make more sense to hire a car for forty days? You could then swap the car across the channel for a left hand drive car at no extra expense, the cost wouldn't be that great, and if the car developed a problem it would be instantly replaced?

If I'm wrong, perhaps you'll forgive my suspicious mind?

Suspicious or strange, whatever it really is there is a simple answer to the problem and as I mentioned before: simply,

pop the car into a local auction, with NO reserve, the car will sell and you will get the true market value !

Simple, effective and instant cash. No warranties needed and the car only needs to drive to the auction and around the block and out of the door once sold " as seen ".

Been there, done it, worn the tea shirt ........ it works.

Malc

Hmm... when I bought my LS400, I made all the classic mistakes: I bought it sight-unseen from a vendor on eBay. I didn't get it checked out at any time before or after I bought it (I did buy the HPI report, just to be sure it wasn't stolen). Mine had 150k on the clock when I bought - by far the highest mileage car I've ever purchased - indeed, I've never had a car that reached 150k before!

I took the train down to meet the guy, went to his house, picked the car up & drove it straight home (250 miles), packed it full of stuff & drove it to Spain (600 miles - I cheated & used a ferry), pottered around Spain for 4 months, drove it home via France (1600 miles). Replaced a broken spring & did the same thing again next year. Replaced another broken spring. I've replaced the oil a couple of times, changed the plugs & leads, and I'm about to do the filters & oil again because, frankly, it's due.

In other words, I've treated her dreadfully. And, yet, apart from the misfire due to a broken plug lead, I've had no problems whatsoever. She ALWAYS starts, and ALWAYS gets me to my destination.

Utterly brilliant cars, IMHO. Buy a working one, and it'll easily last you the 40 days. Mine's almost at 200k miles now, and still feels newer than any other car I've ever driven.... including new ones.

thanks for that. Very reassuring. Lexus are amazing machines and only when **** hits the fan do we really know which brand we trust the most for serious journeys. I've not read many comments on the web about it being unreliable. I think Lexus has done an amazing job. Makes me want to ship mine back so I can use it as a daily drive as oppose to my CSL, which the mrs complains daily about how uncomfortably it is. :lol:

I know I didn't choose the wrong car then. :P

I've read through this a couple of times, trying to work out what it's about. Victor, please don't be offended, but my worry is that this is part of a complex scam ....

"How much will I fetch if I just sell it to a dealer? 04 83,000 miles 3 owners incl. myself with full Lexus service history? many thx"

.... and that all along you're been sitting in Splott, in Cardiff, with an 03 83000 mile car with three owners that you can't shift for some reason, and that once 'your friend' has sold the car on to someone on here, you can disappear because you've "gone back to America"

Doesn't it make more sense to hire a car for forty days? You could then swap the car across the channel for a left hand drive car at no extra expense, the cost wouldn't be that great, and if the car developed a problem it would be instantly replaced?

If I'm wrong, perhaps you'll forgive my suspicious mind?

hehehe - no offence taken. Check the times I post, I'm GMT +8 your time. I post generally mid-night my time or afternoon my time.

Regarding hiring, I would only consider Lux hire, not your Ford Focus / Vauxhall / C class. I got a quote from Avis Prestige and they want 7000GBP or there abouts. You do the maths, only requires add and subtraction.

Its a driving holiday and will be covering 9 countries and I needed something very reliable yet very luxurious. The LS430 seems like the best choice.

40 days is a long time to be sitting in a medium saloon.

Suspicious or strange, whatever it really is there is a simple answer to the problem and as I mentioned before: simply,

pop the car into a local auction, with NO reserve, the car will sell and you will get the true market value !

Simple, effective and instant cash. No warranties needed and the car only needs to drive to the auction and around the block and out of the door once sold " as seen ".

Been there, done it, worn the tea shirt ........ it works.

Malc

Thx Malc, I doubt it would come to that as I settle for a 01 as its as nice and reliable + with full Lexus Service History and Lexus inspection. I got a friend to buy the vehicle on my behalf so I can hit the ground running when I get to the u.k.

Sorry to be suspicious! I hope you enjoy your European tour when you get here. Best wishes.

hey, non worries. Its natural. :hehe:

Thank you. I'm looking forward to it and see that some LS lads have already done it. Testament to the quality of these vehicles. :lol:

I just hope my post and discussion with knowledgeable members here will be useful to anyone else looking to get a LS430 + anyone thinking of getting a luxury vehicle to travel Europe. From all my research, I believe I can feel assured I won't get stranded in the middle of the Swiss Alps with mechanical failure that would ruin my itinerary. Speaking purely from a theoretical perspective now as I have to do the trip first and report back. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. :lol:

I'm currently looking for a 2003/04 LS430 and been looking through the autotrader/pistonhead/ebay etc and the prices seem to range from $3.9K to $6.9K. May I ask why the huge price difference? All of the ones I looked at are 100,000 miles+. Anyway comments are highly appreciated. I'm looking to get the car for a European tour and the LS430 seems to be alot more reliable than the S-class.

Also, if anyone know of a any respected members who are selling pls do let me know.

Many thanks

Victor.

Hi! I'm selling my LS430 2000 for 4500. but car in Ireland.let me know if u still interested.thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links