Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stupid Question: 2 Or 3 Seats At The Rear?

I was going to book a test drive of a 2008 ISF today but just saw something suggesting that it only has two seats (and presumably two seat-belts?) at the rear? Is that right? That would be mad.

I was going to book a test drive of a 2008 ISF today but just saw something suggesting that it only has two seats (and presumably two seat-belts?) at the rear? Is that right? That would be mad.

Correct, there's only two seats in the rear as they are slightly profiled like the fronts. There's a flat plastic trim between the rear seats which I'd like to change to CF.

The rear seats look very neat and sporty in terms of the appearance. However as said, the middle is a plastic centre panel (with an F logo) which is not very practical from a day-to-day use. The slight bucket seats, also make the fitting of a child car seat not ideal.

Noooooooo. Thanks everyone. I guess an ISF is off my list then :( I've wanted one for ages and now that it's time to change my car I found a really nice used example for a price I could afford.

I suppose technically you could fit an IS250 rear seat and seat belt as all the mounting points should be the same/present?

Not sure what issues there would be though with registering the car as a 5 seater, and insurance too........

As its a mod that would mean the reg doc would need changing I guess the insurance hit would probably be a bit steep.

The ISF was on my short-list of three Lexus models as the one that was least practical/green etc but most desirable. The lack of a 5th seat is the final nail in the coffin when it comes to practicality unfortunately. If I was single with no kids it would have been different but there again I'd be driving a porsche. I'll probably be getting an RX400h or CT200h instead now. Not quite as fun but they tick other boxes.

I know what you mean. When alone or taking a couple of adult passengers, they're great. But then the kids are using the car they are more difficult to use, as they are more difficult to fit car seats and when restricted for access (in car parks) and they need to climb across, they are hard work. And I get the groan when I say I can't take three kids out in the back.

On balance with two+two family the looks out weigh the disadvantages.

• 1 month later...

I suppose technically you could fit an IS250 rear seat and seat belt as all the mounting points should be the same/present?

Been playing with skinning the plastic rear seat trim with 'aluminium' carbon fibre (actual CF, not the vinyl) so have had the rear seat squab out and it's fairly obvious that it's the size of the rear differential that prevents fitting a middle seat in the IS-F so the 250 squab would not fit.

If I remember correctly my IS 250 SE-L didn't have what you'd call a proper central seat in the rear, even if it did have a seat belt (I certainly would not have relished sitting on it for any length of time although I guess it wouldn't have been a problem for an infant.)

Been playing with skinning the plastic rear seat trim with 'aluminium' carbon fibre (actual CF, not the vinyl) so have had the rear seat squab out and it's fairly obvious that it's the size of the rear differential that prevents fitting a middle seat in the IS-F so the 250 squab would not fit.

In that case I'll be less harsh on them if there was a legitimate reason for leaving out the rear centre seat.

You're right though, I get complaints about the centre seat in the IS200 as well, it is supposedly not a comfortable place to be.

Despite a good reason for the trim, wish Lexus could have fitted something which looked a bit better to fill the gap.

Despite a good reason for the trim, wish Lexus could have fitted something which looked a bit better to fill the gap.

Agree, that's why I was experimenting with the CF and even Di-Noc viny wrap. The wrap wasn't practical as it would not wrap around the sharp contour at the front, and the aluminium CF was not really an improvement over the original whether partially or fully skinned.

pic0217t.jpg

Full skin before applying the finishing resin coat and polish

pic0223g.jpg

After applying the final resin coat I decided I didn't like it and fortunately it peeled off fairly easily as the basecoat hadn't fully cured

isfcarboninsertforrearc.jpg

Using the centre section as an insert wouldn't have looked too bad, but as I have a spare I think I'll have a go at trimming it in leather with blue stitching to match the seats, as not ready to give up on getting rid of the plastic yet!

Although you have done your wrap very well, it still doesn't look right. Maybe because it is so blank/empty. Perhaps fitting controls for rear reading-lights or the like would help. Leather trimming could look good but slightly "invite" sitting there - which might be why Lexus didn't.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links