Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Disc Removal Problem

Hi all.

Ok so went to change my rear discs and pads today after getting fed up of seeing badly scored discs and crappy looking brake calipers.

Ok so the usual removal of pads and caliper was easier than I am used to but...

As I am lead to believe, there is supposed to be a hole in the disc and hub that allows you to insert a screw driver and release the tension on the handbrake brake shoes.

After several minutes peering through the only hole that actually goes through to the handbrake section I find...

No adjuster only a part of the shoes.

After battling with handbrake adjusting and some gentle pursuasion with a brummy screwdriver I managed to get ONE disc off. On removal I find that the adjuster (The bit supposed to be accesible through the holein the disc) is on the bottom of the hub. As per manual but the hole in the hub cover that SHOULD allow access to adjuster is 90 degrees clockwise from it.

So knowing I am going to have to remove these disc again soon.

How the hell amd I supposed to put them in the correct position again?

Or can I?

i did mine earlier today,but not quite sure what your asking?

Doh!!!!

I think a severe lack of sleep and lack of common sense took over.

If i had remembered i left the car in gear i would have realised. In neutral i could have turned the hub to get the hole in line with the adjuster.

Doh, doh and DOH!!!! Lol

dont worry about it happens all the time with me

Ok, so after a good 8 hours sleep and confident I had the job in the bag today. I did this...

IMG_20110323_143349.jpg

FULL SIZE

The wheel is the spare. I have the usual 1 off to re-furb. (Laquer Flaking off)

Fronts next. Waiting on the disc arrival. :)

new discs look surprisingly good. I'm interested in the flaking lacquer problem, if its just the lacquer, how much do they charge per wheel, i have a lacquer problem on mine but the wheels are ok with no corrosion? TIA

Ed in Glasgow

new discs look surprisingly good. I'm interested in the flaking lacquer problem, if its just the lacquer, how much do they charge per wheel, i have a lacquer problem on mine but the wheels are ok with no corrosion? TIA

Ed in Glasgow

Hi Ed.

Having had a look aroundthe interweb and had a good inspection of my wheels.

It seems and I am almost 100% of this that the wheels are just polished aluminium with a clear laquer over them.

This means that repair should be fairly straight forward...

However.

If you search on here you will find that most people are having them repaired and painted or powder coated.

There are loads of places up and down the British Isles that will do wheel refurbishment.

Just make sure you can see some samples of the work they do, can guarantee it and isn't just some make good of the damaged areas only and hope you don't notice job. (So avoid the mobile refurbishers)

Should be looking above and beyond £50 a wheel mark. Although Wicked Wheels will do them tyres off for around £70 so it will pay to look around.

That will be diamond cut and polished though. Hence the expense.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links