Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Caliper Flipped And Shredding Alloy

carlb

Hi Guys

Finally had new pads and discs put on the front of my is200 which were well over due so now braking is (was) perfect. driving to work this morning i heard a rumbling noise i thought my tyre had gone so i pressed the brake to slow down and the car vibrated like mad. pulled over and saw the caliper was touching the alloy and shredding it. i thought wheel had moved or something but turned out it was the caliper that had moved.

i whacked the end of the caliper and it moved back into place - put wheel back on and it spun fine but then as i drove off it happened again it seems like the caliper is flipping up and hitting the alloy. i had them done friday and have been driving fine so reckon he didnt put the bottom bolt in properly and its come out. its the 2 bolts that hold the caliper bracket in place then the pads and rest of caliper is placed into this ( hope someone understands which i mean)

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=50512 2nd image using the breaker bar and 17mm from this very helpful thread !!

any one know where i could get this bolt i dont know size or anything apart from its a 17mm. i have tried local scrappy but no lexus in to take one off ?

cheers

Carl

Hi mate. It's the caliper carrier i think your talking about.

You need to get caliper sliding pins, which you can order from Lexus, think they cost about £8 each.

You get two to a caliper, ones the main pin and the other is the sub pin i think you call them.

I'd go back to the place that did/didn't fit your disc's and pad's, it's obvious has hasn't tightened the bottom slide pin.

Is it definitely the carrier bolt that has come adrift? It could be one of the slide pin bolts that has gone missing, and would have a similar effect (albeit just the caliper swinging up rather than the caliper and carrier). If you can get a pic, or confirm for sure which one it is, I probably have a spare knocking about somewhere that I could post out tonight.

yeah definately the bolts on carrier part its the bottom one i can see is missing allowing the whole caliper to flip up. you call them pins is that the same as a bolt not something diffrent ?

http://img88.imageshack.us/i/sany0141q.jpg/ you can see the missing bolt this pic is taken form inside wheel arch facing outwards so the missing bolt is at the bottom.

what should i ask for for this bolt/pin ?

thanks

Yeah, that is definitely the carrier bolt. The slide pin bolts are the two that are at either end of the caliper itself in your pic.

If you PM me your address, I'll check tonight when I get home and stick one in the post if I have got one spare (it would be off a GS, but should be the same).

recieved bolt thanks for that.

i started to put bolt in and tighten but once it was almost done as in it was harder to tighten with ratchet it kinda went easy again so i think it may be the part that the bolt goes into that has a knackered thread. i left it in but m worried it may fall out again as not tight enough.

do you know what part the bolt actualy tightens into is it the caliper carrier thing as i wanna search for one of those and replace that for extra piece of mind as i drove today but was a bit paranoid about it flipping up everytime i pressed the brake.

cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

brakes have been fine past week But today on way home from work its happened again luckily just pulling up to my house not whilst on motorway 2mins earlier ! so now its knackered again i reckon i need to replace the carrier and both bolts with new ones anyone know where i can order these from asap i'm guessing just lexus ? would i just call Lexus Manchester if so what part numbers should i ask for?

cheers

called lexus manchester and i cant order the parts over the phone for collection i have to go in first which due to work wont be till saturday so wont be looking to get the parts till sometime next week but need my car sorted asap.

anyone know somewhere i could pick the caliper carrier and bolts up sooner ( is there other new parts suppliers or just direct with lexus)

cheers