Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All!

The title says it all!

I've just sold my daily driver and have always fancied an IS200 (the 250 attracts about €1000 annually in car tax here in Ireland so it wasn't a runner).

This will be a daily runner , to and from work , pick kids from school etc.

I'm hoping it's as reliable as everyone makes out!

I've read the buyers guide , and have been applying it to cars I've viewed and it has been of great assistance so thanks y'all for that!

I've narrowed my search down to just one or two cars over here in Ireland , one that takes my fancy has 100k miles , but has just had an engine top end rebuild. Apparently the previous owner 'assumed' the timimg belt had been done. It hadn't..

So this will come with virtually a new engine , timing belt (I presume!!) , water pump , new brakes/discs and tyres.

It is a ten year old car though .. Am I asking too much for it to be a reliable everyday driver?

I would say go for it,ive had mine 3 wks now and must say its the best car ive had up-to date.Mines done 116k and just had cambelt done.

the quality of the car and driving experience are brilliant, you wont regret it.

Thanks Ian for the reply..

Well I went to see two '200's today.

Crap! ..

First really badly kept , a '01 with 3 stamps!!

Worn to limit rear brake pads and discs, 70k miles on the odo but no new timing belt (I wouldn't be happy piling on the miles at this stage without a new cam belt)... Worst of all , ding and stone chip city! Plus the final insult , cigarette burns on the seats.

The second one was a straight nono. It was the one that had had the top end done , he started her up ... 'tappetytappetytap!' This went on for th duration of the time I was there , the stealer trying to convince me it was because the car hadn't been started in a week. Yeah right!

The search goes on.

Question .... Am I being too fussy!?

Crap! ..

Worn to limit rear brake pads and discs, 70k miles on the odo but no new timing belt (I wouldn't be happy piling on the miles at this stage without a new cam belt)... Worst of all , ding and stone chip city! Plus the final insult , cigarette burns on the seats.

The second one was a straight nono. It was the one that had had the top end done , he started her up ... 'tappetytappetytap!' This went on for th duration of the time I was there , the stealer trying to convince me it was because the car hadn't been started in a week. Yeah right!

The search goes on.

Wouldnt say your being fussy, go with your instinct, the 2 you have seen i wouldnt have bought either.

Mine needed cam belt doing, but engine is as quiet as a mouse. Cam belt can be used as a bargaining point on price, i did mine following guide on here, never done one in my life before.

Be patient one wil come up and you will know its right.

I seem to recall a service bulletin changing the interval from 60k to 100k, in which case any IS200 with less miles

Is likely not to have had a belt change. Or have I got it arse about face and it went the other way?

Crap! ..

The search goes on.

Wouldnt say your being fussy, go with your instinct, the 2 you have seen i wouldnt have bought either.

Mine needed cam belt doing, but engine is as quiet as a mouse. Cam belt can be used as a bargaining point on price, i did mine following guide on here, never done one in my life before.

Be patient one wil come up and you will know its right.

Hi on the issue of cambelt its 6 years 60,000 or if you like 100,000 mls as others sugguest ,the crucial fact to remember is - WHICHEVER COMES FIRST

Its your money you can be as fussy as you like :winky: . The is200 is a popular car so you should be able to find many clean and tidy examples, just take your time.

i managed to find a 1999 silver 1 with immaculate body work and interior, 122k miles cam belt been done full mot and 3m tax it drives like a dream!! the only faults were the drivers side ball joint which was provided and the fuel filler neck needed replacing as it was rotten, apart from that its a really clean motor and it was only £1500 i got him down from £1700, in my nopinion its a lot of car for not alot of money!!

Thanks all for your replies and support!

I've been out of the country for the last week so not had a chance to follow any more leads.

The plan is to look at this one next ...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1975236

He has texted to tell me that the timing belt and water pump are recently done.

Btw, how do I know if the fuel filler neck is rotten besides the obvious of putting petrol in a strangers car? :D

I would say that any IS200 which is not up to scratch must have suffered serious neglect. They are not expensive to maintain and they are well known in the motor repair trade. Keep on looking for a really nice because they are there - travel if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks , thanks for all your help...

Bought this un yesterday ,

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1975236

I've done only about 50 miles in her but she feels solid as a rock , no bad noises , no suspension issues , no judder , and ball joints recently replaced!

RESULT!

Thanks to this forum for all the information that helped get me the best possible car!