Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Is200 Member In Need Of Sound Advice.

right the search is over after looking at more than 5 is200's ive managed to get myself a 2001 is200 sport manaul in black, and im impressed to say the least have had it 2 weeks now,

so far ive..............

valeted it myself over a 2 day period so its mint, inside n out,

found water in the rear whhel arch and noticed a tube had come loose, ive refitted and seems to be ok i have also water tested and all seems well.

changed cabin filter, old seems like it was in from 2001.

i have flushed power steering fluid as it was near black, with dextron 111 atf, feels much better.

changed the air filter ***** easy job and old one wasnt too bad, but hey peice of mind.

next on list,

ik20 spark plugs

oil and filter change

brake fluid change

now the confusing bit.

just wanted some clear cut info on the gear oils, ive gone through this site and i must say some very helpfull information, but confusing when it comes to gearbox/diff oil everyone seems to have a different answer. what oil do i get redline mt90????? what grade???? also ive read not use diff oil for lsd cars even though mine has an lsd is this correct.????

any help would be much appreciated.

Send a PM to oilman - he runs Opie Oils and not only can he advise exactly what you need, you'll get a 10% discount ordering online from them as a club member too

thanks mate will do,

due to the tupe of diff you have torsen type you just use normal dif oil for this..

yeah this was the confusing bit, as some oils state they are speficly for lsd, but on here people advise to use normal oil. will go with redline mt90 as this seems to win everyones heart, p.s im sure it was your self who advised spraying the rubbers and bushes underneath the car with silicone spray, best £4 i ever spent, the car just glides over bumps now and all the squeaks gone. top tip!!!!

• 8 months later...

ok so ive decided to tidy up all the little niggly bits on the car and bring it up to speed for the coming winter.

so far

1) Ive replaced spark plugs with denso ik20's the car runs more smoother now but seems to be using more fuel???

2) the car seemed to steam and fog up inside quite bad so i purchased one of these moisture absorbers what a difference this little thing has made, ive just placed it on the rear shelf.

3) Replaced wipers with bosch aero twins, very please with these and also replaced screen wash with autoglm screen wash smear free and contains a sort of antifreeze so should help through the winter, smells nice too.

4) changed oil and filter again afterdoing approx 8,000 miles was suprised as the oil was really black. i have used 10/40.

5) replaced the headlight and fog light bulbs much nicer at night, tip if you have a abbrasive polish like G3 this work wonders on hazy headlights/fogs. :winky:

6) car was making a knocking noise on the o/s/f wheel, some of you recommended replacing the ball joints. i have done this and so far so good. ;)

7) car had some cheap budget tyres that gave me little confidence chuking the car into a bend, replaced with conti sport3's 225/45/17 the difference is night and day. so much smoother and the car is planted.

8) going on the info from this forum ipurchased some genuine toyota red antifreeze 10 litres but only managed to get 4.7 litres into the car. is this correct :tomato:

9) cd player started giving me an error1 code, i removed it and cleaned the lense, problem solved.

10) i put in some forte fuel treatment and cant say ive noticed any difference.

now my dilemma all the 3 belts for a/c power steering and water pump seen brittle and cracked, should i replace these or is this normal?

also i have purchased 3 bottles of redline mt-90 75/90, and ordered new washers. is there a method of flushing the gearbox+diff fluid? I was thinking of putting some cheap fluid in and running it for a week then drain and re-fill with redline. Would this be a good idead or a waste of time and money?

Car is 95% percent perfect mainly due to the vast amount of info on this site. just need a little more guidance.

Thanks in advance.

ok so ive decided to tidy up all the little niggly bits on the car and bring it up to speed for the coming winter.

so far

1) Ive replaced spark plugs with denso ik20's the car runs more smoother now but seems to be using more fuel???

2) the car seemed to steam and fog up inside quite bad so i purchased one of these moisture absorbers what a difference this little thing has made, ive just placed it on the rear shelf.

3) Replaced wipers with bosch aero twins, very please with these and also replaced screen wash with autoglm screen wash smear free and contains a sort of antifreeze so should help through the winter, smells nice too.

4) changed oil and filter again afterdoing approx 8,000 miles was suprised as the oil was really black. i have used 10/40.

5) replaced the headlight and fog light bulbs much nicer at night, tip if you have a abbrasive polish like G3 this work wonders on hazy headlights/fogs. :winky:

6) car was making a knocking noise on the o/s/f wheel, some of you recommended replacing the ball joints. i have done this and so far so good. ;)

7) car had some cheap budget tyres that gave me little confidence chuking the car into a bend, replaced with conti sport3's 225/45/17 the difference is night and day. so much smoother and the car is planted.

8) going on the info from this forum ipurchased some genuine toyota red antifreeze 10 litres but only managed to get 4.7 litres into the car. is this correct :tomato:

9) cd player started giving me an error1 code, i removed it and cleaned the lense, problem solved.

10) i put in some forte fuel treatment and cant say ive noticed any difference.

now my dilemma all the 3 belts for a/c power steering and water pump seen brittle and cracked, should i replace these or is this normal?

also i have purchased 3 bottles of redline mt-90 75/90, and ordered new washers. is there a method of flushing the gearbox+diff fluid? I was thinking of putting some cheap fluid in and running it for a week then drain and re-fill with redline. Would this be a good idead or a waste of time and money?

Car is 95% percent perfect mainly due to the vast amount of info on this site. just need a little more guidance.

Thanks in advance.

hi just take the car for a run and get the oil warm then drain the oil out of the gear box and diff then put new oil in if the belts are cracked replace them but dont forget cambelt this is the important one