Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This lovely weather has lead to me having my window open while driving the last few days. Whilst having the window open I've noticed a noise from under the car when negotiating roundabouts. Difficult to describe the noise but somewhere between a creak and a knock. Also difficult to tell from which corner exactly. What should I looking at guys? :unsure:

Is this an excuse to get some of those lovely coilovers?

This lovely weather has lead to me having my window open while driving the last few days. Whilst having the window open I've noticed a noise from under the car when negotiating roundabouts. Difficult to describe the noise but somewhere between a creak and a knock. Also difficult to tell from which corner exactly. What should I looking at guys? :unsure:

Hi probably upper wishbone bushes try a sqirt of wd40 on them as they may be dry

When I collected my Lex (its first long journey in ages) the offside rear suspension had started to creak by the time I got home. You could hear it on bumps when trickling along in traffic (because the car's otherwise so quiet) and also when parked if you pushed down on the suspension. A squirt of WD40 cured it - and that was seven months ago. So hopefully that's all your problem is.

Hi probably upper wishbone bushes try a sqirt of wd40 on them as they may be dry

The (same) problem which had gone away seems to be coming back with the dryer/warmer weather - where are the upper wishbone bushes? How do you access these? Many thanks.

The (same) problem which had gone away seems to be coming back with the dryer/warmer weather - where are the upper wishbone bushes? How do you access these? Many thanks.

Hi front wheelarch above the wheel either side of the spring, you will see the wishbone the bushes are on the 2 ends where they atatch to the inner wing/body.

Spent 10mins yesterday under the LS400 liberally WD40ing every suspension bush and joint I could find. Wow...what a transformation! Not only were all the noises gone but I'd swear the handling and smoothness of ride has improved. :blink:

Possibly its my imagination but it would seem that this is probably the best 10 mins you can spend improving your LS. Would advise anyone gives it go, noises or not!

It may not actually be smoother-riding, just quieter without the creaks - so you think it's smoother. I always feel my car runs better when it's just been washed and hoovered out, even though that can't make any difference mechanically. Maybe in some weird corner of the subconscious, a clean car feels more like a new one, and so less worn? This is probably why I always clean it thoroughly before I put it in for an MOT - so it will at least give the impression of being well cared for! Anyway, I'm pleased you had such good results from your 10 minutes of WD40-ing.

It may not actually be smoother-riding, just quieter without the creaks - so you think it's smoother. I always feel my car runs better when it's just been washed and hoovered out, even though that can't make any difference mechanically. Maybe in some weird corner of the subconscious, a clean car feels more like a new one, and so less worn? This is probably why I always clean it thoroughly before I put it in for an MOT - so it will at least give the impression of being well cared for! Anyway, I'm pleased you had such good results from your 10 minutes of WD40-ing.

Agree entirely. Get some quality polish on it and it hardly disturbs the air as you glide through it.

Agree entirely. Get some quality polish on it and it hardly disturbs the air as you glide through it.

:lol: :lol: PMSL, love the thought :)

Andy